Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Designer Tips for Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Designer Tips for Newbies
    Posted: 27 October 2004 at 1:07pm
Ok I just purshased the Xtreme Suite and so far very satisfied, although there is a few features one hope to see added in the future. Anyhow, as new to any set of controls one is apt to make newbie mistakes, so I thought it to be a good idea to start a thread listing some tips or what to think of when starting out and I have just started to work with the Designer to create toolbars so this thread is about my (and possibly ohters) experiences with it.

Make use of Categories
When starting to create controls it's easy to belive categories and topmenu levels (the Built-in Menus) belongs together and you create a category for each toplevel. Don't do that! Organize your controls into logical categories. Menu item clicks are trapped by it's ID (Control.Id) in the Commanbars.Execute_Event() in all examples I have read so far. If you have lots of menu and other controls in your toolbars you are going to end up with a long long Select Case Statment, which isn't anything bad in it self. But you can organize your code better by making use of the "category" property and check for Select Case Control.Category instead of Select Case Control.Id and then branch to  a sub routine for each catagory passing Control.Id as an argument and then, there make a Select Case to check the ID and take proper action.

This helps you to keep your code organized and is particulary useful when several menu items relate to the same thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic