Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Docking Pane
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SOLVED: DockingPane: Task panel detaches from pane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOLVED: DockingPane: Task panel detaches from pane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUSAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOLVED: DockingPane: Task panel detaches from pane
    Posted: 26 July 2008 at 6:02pm
Hi, I'm new to code jock controls and seem to hit a snag!

Heres the problem:

In my vb6(XP SP3) app which is MDI I have added a dockingpane and attached a taskpanel.
All is well on load but once the MDI child form is loaded (click on any item) , which has codejock controls on it but no pane/taskpanel the following occurs:

With the pane unpinned, it flicks in and out fine.

But if I show the pane by clicking on the docking pane after a few times the task pane becomes detached.

At this stage if I click on the task panel it then fills the entire MDI parent.

Pinning and unpinning the pane corrects the problem, if done before the task panel floods the MDI parent

Otherwise the controls are exactly what I'm looking for.

I have build a clean project to test it out and it is 100% repeatable, so Im thinking that I have gone wrong in the way that I have assembled the components?

If I reattach the taskpanel in the DockingPane Action event it seems better but I'm masking the probelm instead of understanding and fixing it. The product is to be rolled out to 1200 schools so needs to be robust.

I'll upload the test project too.

uploads/20080726_175713_CJTest.zip

Help greatly appreciated!
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 2:57am
Hi,

Please put it in PictureBox and attach picturebox to pane.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
MUSAC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUSAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 5:22am

Thanks Oleg

I tried that but get errors for the RecalcLayout calls, if I comment them out it loads but no docking pane or task panel.

I attached the picture box in the AttachPane event like this

Item.Handle = Picture1.hWnd

Is that the right way? It always produces an error, but attaching the TaskPane seems OK, but with the problem mentioned above.

I am using the controls on the MDI parent rather than the child form.

Any guidance you could offer would be appreciated.

If you got my sample to work, could you upload the code?

Thanks for your help.
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 6:12am
Hi,

Same here, your test project doesn't work (will be detached sometimes when clicked on) and what Oleg suggested doesn't work also. I get same error as you.

The only thing that will work if you add the TaskBar to a form and attach pane to the form.

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
MUSAC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUSAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 5:39pm
Thanks Aaron

That works better, the task panel now stays attached.
The only remaining issue is that if you slide the panel out by clicking it, it will not retract when you click on the child form.

When this happens, clicking on the pin retracts the panel instead of pinning it.

Any ideas?

Thanks again
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 1:31am
Hi,

When pane is selected it will stay visible, if you would click a button or textbox in the form the pane will be de-activated and will autohide. Just an option to have the pane stay visible.

When this happens, clicking on the pin retracts the panel instead of pinning it.
autohide on     autohide off

If autohide is on and you click it again, you set autohide off and pane will be restored. (don't mind the tooltip text )

MUSAC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUSAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 2:15am
Thanks Aaron

I didn't explain verywell!

When you start the test app, the docking pane is pinned (autohide off). If you now click the pin, (autohide on), the panel naturally retracts as it should.

If you mouse over or click the pane to get it to expand, it will not retract (pin in autohide on position, unless you click the PIN (autohide should now be off) at which point it retracts.

If you click on an item and load the form it will retact but when you expand it you can only hide it by clicking on the pin.

I'm thinking that there is some form property that I have not set?

We have a large legacy suite which we have converted from very old ugly controls to CodeJock, which looks great.

This would be the icing on the cake so I'm pretty keen to get working, and thank you for your help and patience.

I'll upload the code here, if you run it you will see exactly what I mean.

uploads/20080729_015611_CJTest.zip

As always many thamks

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 2:45am
Hi,

I don't know for sure (I'm not into MDI) but I think it has to do something with the handle of pane and form2 MDIChild = true that the pinbutton click is always hiding the pane (as you have now).

If you set Form2, MDIChild = false it would function as should (in my opinion). Now, autohide toggles when clicked.

MUSAC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUSAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 3:27am
Aaron, You're a star  !!!!!!!

Works a treat

Also docking on the various sides of the form works robustly.

Thank you
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 3:54am
Hi,

DockingPanes is a great control for this. I'm not that happy with MDI though  

I did a test where you have a form (with ReportControl inside) attached to a pane. If you set the property MDIChild = false, the rows of RC won't be selected, set to true it will work nicely. Seems somekind of focus problem?!?! 

You have simular only you have a TaskPanel inside.... I don't mean to scare you but won't it be a problem to do it like this. If I were you, I would like an opinion of a support member, so he can explain what will happen if you do it like this. Not that you have many options to choose from right now, but you rather want to know in advance, right?

btw, If your issue is solved, please add SOLVED in your Topic description and have a look at post http://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11225

Thanks

MUSAC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUSAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 4:01am
Hi Aaron

Sorry for the silence, we have had some rough weather and no power for a day!

Setting the MDIChild property seems to work, but the same issue remains, when you expand by clicking the docking pane you cannot retract it. Is there a way to toggle the pin image, and at least mak it look like it is working OK?
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 4:12am
Hi,

I don't know why it doesn't work for you, if I click autohide it hides the pane and the pinbutton does toggle.

MUSAC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUSAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 4:58am
Hi Aaron

OK, I'm thinking then I don't understand how it is meant to work.

I'm doing this:

Start App => start form => unpin pane (retracts)
=> click grey area where text would be if I had added some
pane expands and has focus pin is in autohide on mode (unpinned)

At this point I'm thinking if I click on the child form the pane should retact?
It doesn't. The only way to get it too is to click the pin.

This is with your uploaded version of the app and MDIChild is set to false.

Its the same if I put the mdi child property to true.

Now,  if I toggle the child form between nornal and maximised, switch to another app and back, the pane retracts.

So is it machine dependent in which case I am very nervous ( twitch developing). Do you get different results?
MUSAC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUSAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 2:42am
OK I see it works now

Thanks for your help Aaron  - thats SOLVED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic