Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Combobox Text goes Bold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjarne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combobox Text goes Bold
    Posted: 04 February 2004 at 1:59pm

Hi,

I discovered a weird thing when using the built-in ComboBox in a ToolBar. I have a couple of forms in the application all containing a CommandBar with Menu and Toolbar. From the Main form I call another form. As soon as this form opens the text in the Combo Box goes from Normal to Bold. This only happens if DropDownListStyle=True. It also only happens if the Form I call contains a CommandBar.

Can this be fixed?

Bjarne

robs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2004 at 8:53pm

Bjarne,

I was unable to duplicate this. Is the ComboBox on the form that's doing the calling, or is it on the form that's being called? I actualy tried it both ways. Can you send me source?

rob

Bjarne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjarne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2004 at 2:50pm

The project this comes from is big, so I can not post it, but I will try to write up a sample that shows it. In the meantime I did some more testing:

It happens on the form thats doing the calling, and if the form that is called, does NOT overlap the control when it is opend it does not go Bold. If I drag the called form over the control it goes bold immediatly.

Also the Bold state clears if I resize the form the control is on.

I don't know if this helps, but anyway I will try to write a sample and send it to you.

I am also having trouble with another control that is not developed by you guys, so I wonder if it could be hardware related (Video driver etc.)

Bjarne

robs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2004 at 3:55pm

Bjarne,

A small sample would be good if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

rob

Bjarne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjarne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2004 at 5:23pm

Hello again,

Attached is a small sample that simulates the problem every time on my PC. If Form2 is opened and overlays the Combo or Edit controls on Form1 the text in these controls are bolded every time. If you resize Form1 the text goes back to normal.

If Form2 is opening without overlapping the controls everything works, unless you drag Form2 over Form1 covering the Combo and Edit controls, then they get bolded again.

Hope this helps.

BjarneEC3_Project1.zip

robs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2004 at 8:18pm

Bjarne,

Thanks for the project.

The problem occurs on my system as well with this project. Did you notice that it doesn't happen when the theme is xtpThemeOfficeXP?

On my system things are a bit different. With the second window that pops up:

When I drag it over the commandBar on the first window, the paint from the Office2003 commandBar errases and shows the theme of whatever commandBar theme is being used on the second form. This surely isn't supposed to happen!

The text also turns bold as you described.

I think someone from CodeJock may have to jump in and confirm it as being a bug.

I don't like to 'rig' stuf, but one possible workarround for the combo would be to use a standard combobox instead:

Dim mCustom     As ICommandBarControlCustom

Set mCustom = .Add(xtpControlCustom, 990, "Search:")
With Combo1
   mCustom.Handle = .hWnd
   .AddItem "Customer"
    .AddItem "Orders"
    .ListIndex = 1
End With

What are your system specs?

Im using a VAIO notebook:

P4 Windows XP 1GB Ram 64MB GeForceFX

Edited by robs
Bjarne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjarne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2004 at 1:24am

Hi Robs,

I am somehow happy that you also have the problem. Its always nice not to be alone in the world.

Thanks for the suggestion with the Custom Control. I actually already tried this. I have a license for a Combo that also has the Office 2003 Layout, and using that Combo instead of the built in gives no problems. (Expect that I need a label in front of it). So I can confirm that the problem is only with the built-in Combo and Edit controls.

I am running on a HP Pavilion, P4 Windows XP, 1GB Ram, 128MB GeforceFX 5200

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2004 at 12:17pm

agree, it is bug.

Sorry Bjarne, If you use licensed CommandBars.ocx I will send you fixed version.

Edited by oleg
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic