Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Controls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using TipOfTheDay with .ini file

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zookeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using TipOfTheDay with .ini file
    Posted: 28 May 2008 at 5:35pm
According to http://www.codejock.com/products/controls/tour_6.asp the Tip of the Day dialog allows you to use either the Registry or an .ini file for storing settings.  The help file (which I'm finding almost always doesn't give enough information) only talks about using a Registry entry.  I want to be able to use an .ini file.  Is http://www.codejock.com/products/controls/tour_6.asp incorrect or is there an undocumented way to do this?
nighthawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nighthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 3:25am
The Suite Controls sample project shows the tip of the day using an ini file.  It essentially just uses the following:

CommonDialog.HelpFile = App.Path & "\Help\Tips.txt"
    CommonDialog.ShowTipOfTheDay False

The Tips.txt file is just a text file with a single tip listed on each line.
Zookeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zookeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 9:38am
Originally posted by nighthawk nighthawk wrote:

The Suite Controls sample project shows the tip of the day using an ini file.  It essentially just uses the following:

CommonDialog.HelpFile = App.Path & "\Help\Tips.txt"
    CommonDialog.ShowTipOfTheDay False

The Tips.txt file is just a text file with a single tip listed on each line.
How is that an example of using an .ini file?  The Tips.txt file isn't an .ini file.  The sample application is still using the Registry to store information on whether the to display the dialog on program start and which tip was last displayed.  It's stored at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CodeJock Software Applications\CODEJO~2\Tip. 

According to http://www.codejock.com/products/controls/tour_6.asp "The control reads a simple tips.txt file that you create and display messages to your end users and stores its settings in your systems registry or .ini file."  But the documentation says nothing about being able to store settings in an .ini file.
Lodep59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lodep59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 3:40am

Still no answer about this ?
I'm wondering how to use this control... I don't want to use the CodeJock registry key, so i need :

- A way to use my own registry key
- A way to use an ini file as presented in the link in the previous post

Can someone help me please ?
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) last version
Platform: Windows 7 Ultimate
Language: VB6 SP6 (FR)
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 4:29am
Hi,

What difference in ini and simple txt with lines ?  You can specify all tips in code in HelpFile string
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
Lodep59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lodep59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 9:04am
Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

Hi,

What difference in ini and simple txt with lines ?  You can specify all tips in code in HelpFile string

You dont understand, i don't want to put my tips in an ini file !
I want to set the settings in the ini file (for example, the last tip shown, the "startup status" etc...).
For the moment these settings are set in the registry, not the easiest way to access it.

For example if i want to let the user change the "show at startup" setting, i need to change the key value in registry. It'll be easier to change an ini file...

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) last version
Platform: Windows 7 Ultimate
Language: VB6 SP6 (FR)
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 5:16am
Hi,

Thanks, I see. We will consider it.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic