Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RibbonBar System Menu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markp.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RibbonBar System Menu
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:00am
In the ribbon bar sample you have a system menu with 3 print options in the popup bar, i may be missing something, but how do you set the descriptive text underneath the caption, as show highlighted below.

I have searched the code and image resources and cannot find any mention of this descriptive text.
joeliner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 12:49pm
Hi,

its the description property. in your code put something like:
    AddButton PopupBar.Controls, xtpControlButton, ID_FILE_QUICKPRINT, "&Quick Print", False _
    , "Send the document directly to the default printer without making changes"

then have the addbutton function:
Private Function AddButton(Controls As CommandBarControls, ControlType As XTPControlType, Id As Long, _
Optional MCaption As String, Optional BeginGroup As Boolean = False, Optional description As String, _
Optional ButtonStyle As XTPButtonStyle = xtpButtonAutomatic) As CommandBarControl

Dim Control As CommandBarControl
    Set Control = Controls.Add(ControlType, Id, MCaption)
    Control.BeginGroup = BeginGroup
    Control.DescriptionText = description
    Control.Style = ButtonStyle
    Set AddButton = Control

End Function

hope this will help :)
markp.uk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markp.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:51pm
Cheers, I found it about 10 minutes after i posted the question. 

Thanks for the assistance all the same.
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 2:26am
I need to ask the same question.

Looking at the RibbonSample, when I run it the Print Setup menu has description text underneath of: "Change the printer and printing options".

Where is that description text stored????  I can't find it in any of the code.

I found the CommandBars Designer (right Click on CommandBars control and select Edit) and under Actions I found a Print Setup item with description as above -- however, when I try changing it and SAVE, it reverts back to its original text.

So maybe this is a built-in default item that can't be altered??
Chris (Manchester, UK) -- www.abc6.co.uk ---- Using CodeJock ActiveX Suite 13.1.0 with Windows8, VB6 SP6
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 7:37am
Nobody knows the answer ??
Chris (Manchester, UK) -- www.abc6.co.uk ---- Using CodeJock ActiveX Suite 13.1.0 with Windows8, VB6 SP6
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 10:57am
CommandBarControl->DescriptionText
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 4:44am
Thanks. I see how to set my own Description Text for an item I create in code.

But I still cannot see where the Description Text in the Ribbon Sample comes from -- ie. I can see where the control is created in code, but there is no Description Text in any of the code I can see.  This remains a mystery, but it is not important.

A related question.   My Description Text appears nicely in the Popup Menu, and if I pause the mouse over it, that text then also appears in the StatusBar (ID=0).  This is sort of nice, but pointless.   Is it possible to turn Off the Description Text.visible  in the Menu, so you got useful extra text when you pause mouse on Menu, or to have some other property text automatically appear in the StatusBar, eg Tag or ToolTip?    Or am I missing the point somehow?
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 1:47pm
It is magic

Actually that text is the default text in the standard MFC Resources.  Which is why you can't find it.  It is controlled by the ID given to the control.  In this case, 57606 or 0xE106.  If you want to use your own text then you can just use a different ID or manually set the Description text.  If no Description text is found it will use the default MFC string when using this ID.

These "special" default MFC resource ID can be found in AFXRES.h, which is a standard MFC file, not a Codejock file.

Just some commands from the file (not the ID is in Hexadecimal):

// File commands
#define ID_FILE_NEW                     0xE100
#define ID_FILE_OPEN                    0xE101
#define ID_FILE_CLOSE                   0xE102
#define ID_FILE_SAVE                    0xE103
#define ID_FILE_SAVE_AS                 0xE104
#define ID_FILE_PAGE_SETUP              0xE105
#define ID_FILE_PRINT_SETUP             0xE106
#define ID_FILE_PRINT                   0xE107
#define ID_FILE_PRINT_DIRECT            0xE108
#define ID_FILE_PRINT_PREVIEW           0xE109
#define ID_FILE_UPDATE                  0xE10A
#define ID_FILE_SAVE_COPY_AS            0xE10B
#define ID_FILE_SEND_MAIL               0xE10C

// Edit commands
#define ID_EDIT_CLEAR                   0xE120
#define ID_EDIT_CLEAR_ALL               0xE121
#define ID_EDIT_COPY                    0xE122
#define ID_EDIT_CUT                     0xE123
#define ID_EDIT_FIND                    0xE124
#define ID_EDIT_PASTE                   0xE125
#define ID_EDIT_PASTE_LINK              0xE126
#define ID_EDIT_PASTE_SPECIAL           0xE127
#define ID_EDIT_REPEAT                  0xE128
#define ID_EDIT_REPLACE                 0xE129
#define ID_EDIT_SELECT_ALL              0xE12A
#define ID_EDIT_UNDO                    0xE12B
#define ID_EDIT_REDO                    0xE12C

// Window commands
#define ID_WINDOW_NEW                   0xE130
#define ID_WINDOW_ARRANGE               0xE131
#define ID_WINDOW_CASCADE               0xE132
#define ID_WINDOW_TILE_HORZ             0xE133
#define ID_WINDOW_TILE_VERT             0xE134
#define ID_WINDOW_SPLIT                 0xE135

The text for these IDs can be found in MFC42.DLL

In short, if you don't like the text or need something different use a different ID from the list above or be sure to set the Description Text.

We recommend you use IDs from 100 to 9000 to avoid conflicts like this.  These IDs are not reserved in MFC or Codejock sources.  But as you can see, they can be useful, so they are an undocumented feature

Hope this clears things up.
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 4:08pm
Very useful posting -- thank you very much.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic