Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Report Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Memory error with Report Control - Bug?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicalMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memory error with Report Control - Bug?
    Posted: 29 November 2011 at 8:48am

hello

i'm using the report control (Suite Pro 15.1.3) in an mdi-application in visual basic 6 and it works fine. but when i quit the application, i get an error message like this: 

Quote The instruction at "0x01409291" referenced memory at "0x86024000". The memory could not be "read" Click on OK to terminate the program.

i have tried to remove the report control and its source code from the form and quit the application - the error not appeared again. if i start the application without opening the form, that contains the report control, i won't get any errors on quitting the program.

the error message appears in Windows XP. in windows 7, there is no error, but the process of the programm remains in memory for a few minutes (in windows task manager) and then it disappears. 

Is there any known issue with the control? what can i do to fix it? does anyone know a workaround?
MagicalMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicalMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 5:02am

I forgot to mention that the error only appears in the compiled program. In the IDE I get no error on quitting the program and it returns to the IDE as usual. So I can run and quit the program from the IDE without any error.

But when I finally quit the IDE, it crashes and I either get an access violation error message or the same error message as mentioned above. The only difference is the name of program in the title of the error message - VB6.EXE

Does anyone know this error?

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 2:07pm
Hi,

Do you use only ReportControl on a form or are there more controls on it? Would it be possible to upload test project so I can see what is wrong? If not, try to use only ReportControl on a form, this way you are able to find out if the ReportControl is causing the crash...

Good luck

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
MagicalMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicalMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 5:26am

Hi Aaron,

thanks for your answer. It's used on a form in an extensive MDI application (more than 100 MB). So I cannot upload it, sorry.

In a test application with ReportControl there was no error. The code of the ReportControl is unimportant because the error also appears, if I only put it on a form of the application.

There are some 3rd party components in our MDI application, so we think the error is caused by a conflict with ReportControl and the other components. For example the 'OTX ShortcutBar' from 'Rogue Wave' is always included in a form because it's needed to open MDI child forms.

We have tried to build a mini MDI application where we use all these 3rd party components and the ReportControl but we couldn't reproduce the error.

Do you have any idea? Do you know about conflicts with other components?

Best regards
Stephan

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 2:26pm
Hi,

The only crashes I had in the past with different controls CJ & MS were Skin related problem (see SkinFramework forum somewhere)...

The only thing I can say is: Don't ever call .Populate inside RC events !!! If you do, it will crash in some situations. Sometimes even .Redraw will do that so check if you do this, remove the calls and see what happens.

Good luck again Wink

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2

Zero replies is not an option....
MagicalMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicalMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2012 at 5:07am

Hi again,

the error still exists, but now we could reproduce it in an mini application. It occurs on this way: We create a MDI application with a child form in an ActiveX DLL. For that we use OTX Docking Forms from the Objective ToolkitX component (RogueWave Software). Then we put a Codejock Report Control on the child form. By starting the application a connection to SQL Server is opened with the MS ActiveX DataObjets V2.8 (msado15.dll). Now we just close the SQL connection and quit the (compiled) application - the error message will show up.

So it seems, the error is caused by the interaction with the OTX Docking Forms and the Report Control. While using the OTX Docking forms without the Report Control the error will not appear.

Is somebody using this combination too and can reproduce it?

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) Version 15.1.3
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic