Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Docking Pane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pane Containers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pane Containers
    Posted: 11 May 2007 at 11:12am
Hi we keep covering the same issue... which is better to use: Picture boxes as containers, custom user controls, or Forms? Overall, it was suggested long ago to use picture boxes but that back in 9.83... so maybe the codejock gods have changed that by now??? it's been over a year. We are wondering if there is a new and improved method instead of .hwnd'ing everything in a picture box.

Now with the newer versions of the docking pane (10.4 and above), we are now seeing Docking Pane Container. What does it specifically do? My understanding from the help file it's not a container such as a picture box is but it's just for handling the docking panes positions. Our biggest issue right now deals with performance and optimization of our custom user controls with code jock. The more custom user controls we put on a form with codejock, things slow down to load on the screen. We have tried putting everything into picture boxes in our docking panes, attaching forms, and creating custom user controls that are either on a picture box attached or directly attached to the docking panes.
Zach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 12:31pm

I pull in almost everything that I show in the Docking Panes (99% at least) ... from a completely different application directly as a form.

Only problem I ever have is that it likes to change the zindex of the last opened pane to 0 when I close/hide another pane..... speed wise - as long as I am using it its fine - I do get a major slow down if the ap has not been used for awhile when switching panes... but I also think that is my issue because I am dumping memory to disk on a regular basis and have not cleaned up the code to make sure I do not have any memory leaks.

Should mention that I am not using com ... I have written my own way to connect apps so they can call upon each other as if they are the same ap... and grab pieces from each other and use them themselves..
LittleJK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 11:27am
Really how do you connect different apps? we thought about doing something like that to share the load in our MDI application with OLE but we didn't put much time into it.  
Zach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by LittleJK LittleJK wrote:

Really how do you connect different apps? we thought about doing something like that to share the load in our MDI application with OLE but we didn't put much time into it.  

Ya know... I really have not decided what to do with that yet

I am not conceited enough to think that I am the only person that has ever thought of it... but I sure have not seen anything before that lets you have multiple standard aps that can communicate with each other directly ... call each others functions... use each others variables.... etc.... just like they were another form inside the same app.

Reason I built it was because I wanted to my app to be extendable easily... and at the same time allow the extensions to be written in any language that is wanted to be used.

Played around with using Active-X exe's ... which accomplishes the same thing... but creates a huge headache also.

... guess the best way thing I can say about this is this is one of the great advantages of being 100% self taught... I normally find out what is impossible after I have already done it

Should mention that in its current form... I have most of the code for it in a com dll... but that could be put into a regular windows dll also with no problem.

Other nice thing is that with the way I have it written... the only thing that has to be done to connect the new app with the main app (which then allows any other connected apps to access it, if allowed) is to load up the dll either at design time or run time... and call one command - then everything has access... and each app is also automatically ready for any scripting language that has an active scripting extension.

... so long story short - I really have not decided if I am going to do anything with this yet... and even if I do just decide to release it... - I seriously need to check out a lot of applications that already exist and find the ones that I can use this method to access - which I promise ya there is a ton of ... and that would be a slight security issue.
Zach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 5:03pm
...oh - and this literally works from a php script accessing a VB application also :)

(I do a ton of my work in php)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic