Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XP style manifest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XP style manifest
    Posted: 03 April 2004 at 10:54am
it's not a requirement but working with XP stle manifest would be great way to get XP style controls

see http://visualbasic.about.com/library/weekly/aa070703a.htm

I implement the sample but Codejock doesn't play well with manifest - adding it will create run time errors in codejock that don't exist without manifest.

now this is NOT a support issue - as even MSFT doens't support XP manifest - but just a post to see if anybody has found a way to get the two to co-exist
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2004 at 10:57am
Take a look at the staticbars and taskpanel samples, they both use a manifest.

Just copy one of those manifest over to the directory you have your exe in.

If your exe is named program1.exe, then name your manifest program1.exe.manifest.

This might be the only thing you need to do depending on what you want to do.

Remember, you must run the exe for the manifest to take effect.

Edited by SuperMario
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2004 at 11:20am
found them thx.

I got the sample run fine. Looks great.

But what the manifest doesn't like in my app. are the lines 13 and 16

12    Dim Control As CommandBarControlCustom
13    Set Control = CommandBars(2).Controls.Add(xtpControlCustom, ID_LINE_NUMBERS, "Line &Numbers", -1, False)
14    Control.Handle = ctlCheckBox1.hwnd
15    Control.Category = "View"
16    Set Control = CommandBars(2).Controls.Add(xtpControlCustom, ID_LEFT_MARGIN, "Left &Margin", -1, False)
17    Control.Handle = ctlCheckBox2.hwnd
18    Control.Category = "View"

The error is "Invalid Procedure Call or Argument"

It's hard to get a handle on because it ONLY occurs in the .exe - the same code works fine in design. Also changing name of manifest won't fix it.

so essentially - adding the API call - with or without manifest will introduce run time errors in the .exe ONLY. The manifest works and buttons are XP style - but codejock fails with run time errors
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2004 at 2:03pm
I cannot reproduce your errors, I have it working perfectly using that same code.  I have added the API call and ran the exe.
robs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2004 at 5:14pm

Our development group has been using manifests without issues. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2004 at 9:44am

Blockwood,

Here's a good article about using XP Style Manifests.  Maybe it will help provide some insight.

http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/Libraries/XP_Visua l_Styles/Using_XP_Visual_Styles_in_VB/article.asp

blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2004 at 10:52am
thx for all the posts.

I know how to add the manifest - and can get it working no problem - except that it trips on this code.

I've tried to mix up the implementation a bit but get same result.

Manifest implementation for us is a "nice to have" but that's all. It's good to hear others have no problems but it causes the top to blow of my client.

I'll give it to one of my other developers. Sometimse a fresh set of eyes can see something I'm missing.

thx again for great feedback. XP style would be sweet so we'll keep trying.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2004 at 12:05pm
Can you create a small sample project that produces the errors and post the code?  There should be no reason for the errors.  I used that same code and it works perfectly.  
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2004 at 12:27pm
here is an update - same code still fails. I have .zipped up a simple test driver that illustrates the problem exactly.

... but on a new project - which is much more complex - I have succeeded in getting it to work. I don't know what one works and not the other but duping the error on test driver should help isolate the problem

pls let me know email to send the test driver or how to post and I'll send it over
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2004 at 2:54pm
Click on the buton that looks like a winzip loho to upload a file to your post.
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2004 at 8:35pm
oy ... user failure. i won't even describe to my mistake (it's so dumb) but I was compiling to a different dir than i developed in and this was the difference.

manifest works perfectly and looks great - if implemented by user with minimum IQ. CodeJock rocks - and thx to reply posters.

Here are a couple more links to manifest articles to attempt to add *some* value.

http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/Libraries/XP_Visua l_Styles/Using_XP_Visual_Styles_in_VB/VB6_XP_Styles_Demonstr ation_-_Manifest_File.asp

http://visualbasic.about.com/library/weekly/aa070703a.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic