Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Docking Pane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snap panes to screen edges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snap panes to screen edges
    Posted: 26 June 2006 at 9:33am
Hello,

is there any way to achieve a snapping effect of docking panes so that when a pane is moved by the user, then it will automatically snap to the closest edge of the screen? Or can it be made only by overriding OnMoving() of the tabbed container?

Thanks for your help, in advance!
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2006 at 11:32am
Hi,
It is not built-in supported, but you always can override CXTPDockinPaneTabContainer and message, etc... :)
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
akur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 3:46am
Thanks, my snapping is finished now. However it's not the CXTPDockinPaneTabContainer but CXTPDockingPaneContext what must be changed a little bit.
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 8:41am
Hi,
In 10.3 it will be supported also....
Oleg, Support Team
Simon HB9DRV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon HB9DRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:09am
Originally posted by akur akur wrote:

Hello,

is there any way to achieve a snapping effect of docking panes so that when a pane is moved by the user, then it will automatically snap to the closest edge of the screen? Or can it be made only by overriding OnMoving() of the tabbed container?

Thanks for your help, in advance!

Hi - just saw this thread. Will you be snapping to the edges of the screen (monitor) instead of the main frame? This would be a rather fantastic feature.
Simon HB9DRV
akur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:26am
Yes, I needed snapping to edges of the screen, and to edges of the MDI Client area, too. But I really mean snapping and not docking here. That is, to make a floating pane "jump" (by adjusting its position) to the edges, keeping the pane still undocked. Something like what Photoshop does with its non-modal dialogs.

If it'll be part of 10.3, it's great. At what time horizon can we await this feature approximately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon HB9DRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:35am
Originally posted by akur akur wrote:

Yes, I needed snapping to edges of the screen, and to edges of the MDI Client area, too. But I really mean snapping and not docking here. That is, to make a floating pane "jump" (by adjusting its position) to the edges, keeping the pane still undocked. Something like what Photoshop does with its non-modal dialogs.

If it'll be part of 10.3, it's great. At what time horizon can we await this feature approximately?

Wow!

[Warning - hope this makes sense]

Many of my users have dual screens, so I could run my MDI app on screen 1 and snap my many dialogs to screen 2?

I would dearly like to be able to drag a MDI view from the MDI app on screen 1 so that it snaps / docks to screen 2. If Codejock and jockettes achieve this then - Wow!

Standard Windows MDI support for dual monitor systems isn't great. I have essentially two main views, the ability to press a button, have the app go full size across both monitors and put a view on each monitor is very desirable.
Simon HB9DRV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon HB9DRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 2:12am
I didn't see this in the 10.3 release notes - can anyone point me in the right direction?
Simon HB9DRV
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 7:04am
SetStickyFloatingFrames  method.
Oleg, Support Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon HB9DRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 7:28am
Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

OK - I'll see if I can change a sample (any suggestions?), if not I'll be back!
Simon HB9DRV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon HB9DRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Simon HB9DRV Simon HB9DRV wrote:

Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

OK - I'll see if I can change a sample (any suggestions?), if not I'll be back!

Sorry - I'm too stupid to understand. In the ActivePaneView sample I changed CMainFrame but don't see any change in the program Cry

// Initialize the docking pane manager and set the
    // initial them for the docking panes.  Do this only after all
    // control bars objects have been created and docked.
    m_paneManager.InstallDockingPanes(this);
    // Set Office 2003 Theme
    m_paneManager.SetTheme(xtpPaneThemeOffice);
    m_paneManager.SetStickyFloatingFrames(TRUE);

Simon HB9DRV
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 8:36am
Hello,

Try float pane and move it near screen edges/another floating frame.
Oleg, Support Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon HB9DRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 9:35am
OK, I modified the DialogPanes sample and see how floating panes stick together. I don't see any stickyness to the screen (monitor) edges.

Having stuck three panes together it would be nice to be able to drag them three around the screen in one 'lump' somehow.
Simon HB9DRV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon HB9DRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 9:38am
OK - I see the screen edge stickyness. It would be nice to have the pane snap to the screen and use all available width and/or height as appropriate.

So I could drag a view from my MDI app on screen 1 and have the view go full screen on screen 2.

And drag my dialog panes from my MDI app and have the snap - rally snap - to screen 2. that would be GREAT !!!

Simon HB9DRV
akur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 2:10am
Hello Oleg,

I'm really glad you've implemented one of our requests.
I'd like to have two questions about this pretty new feature, to see if we ought to upgrade from 10.1 to 10.3:
  1. Do StickyFrames support multimonitor desktops?
  2. Any built-in support for snapping to MDI client edges? (or any possibility to push in a custom overridden class to achieve this functionality without rebuilding the XTP library?)
Thanks for your answers, in advance!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon HB9DRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 3:01am
Hi,

Having modified the ActivePaneView sample, my answer to both questions is yes.
Simon HB9DRV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic