Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deleting resource symbols in designer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deleting resource symbols in designer
    Posted: 15 February 2004 at 2:30pm
In the designer, after deletíng all controls and icons etc. that use a resource symbol, the symbol is still in the CommandBars menu / Resource symbols list, in the .bas import file, and in the .xcb file.

How do I get rid of these unused resource symbols ?
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2004 at 3:00pm
Good question.  I do not think you can delete these symbols.  I think they are default names given to common controls.  So that means you are forced to use these symbols or give them another name from within  the designer.  You can always delete the unused symbols from the .bas file.  The only down side to this is you have to accept the number assigned to the ID by the designer.   It appears this feature is not included with the designer.  Anyone else have any ideas?
jhsoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2004 at 3:07pm
Thanks SuperMario.

I guess I can live with the default common control names always being there.
But I have the same problem (not being able to get rid of the symbol) if I create a new control (non-common) and delete it again.

Anyone ?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2004 at 7:46pm
I see what you mean.  I think this may be a bug or oversite.  I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the symbols, both standard and custom.  Hopefully they will add a detete button or automatically delete them when the control is deleted.  I guess all you can do now is use one of the standard names and make some up of your own.  You can change the names of the standard controls when selected.  For now, just delete the extras from the .bas file once you add it to your application.
Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2004 at 8:34am

I've seen several limitations with the Designer Studio as well, and have reported these items to Codejock (including not being able to get rid of resource symbols).  Why don't we use this thread to communicate what we'd like to see in the designer.  The designer is a GREAT tool for building menus and toolbar, but there are some areas which, if improved, would make the tool even better.  Here are my ideas so far:

• More control over resource id's
    • Delete unassigned id's
    • User-defined values for each id instead of being forced to use the system-assigned value.  I would like to use number ranges for certain logical groups of resource id's, but it's impossible with system-defined values.
    • Display the value for a resource id without having to create the 'resource.bas' file and lookup the generated value
    • Sort resource id's when written to the 'resource.bas' file to find them easier
  • Ability to load icons from ICO files (not just BMP files) with support for 32-bit alpha icons
  • The 'Standard Toolbar' always shows up when I open a XCB file.  I don't have a toolbar called standard, and I always delete it.  But every time I re-open the file in the designer, the standard toolbar returns with all the same controls.
  • Just a suggestion, but pressing the 'Insert' key on the keyboard to add a new Accelerator isn't very intuitive since the other aspects of the application (like Icons, Controls, and Toolbars) have toolbar buttons.  It took a while to figure this out when first using the tool.
  • Field length limitation on 'New Icon' ID increased.  I believe the current length of the field is 32 characters.  The field length limitation on a 'New Control' ID is also 32 characters (although you can give it a longer ID by changing the value in the properties grid after the control is added).  Since icons with the same ID as a control are automatically associated, it's important to be able to give the icon the same ID as the control.  Since the icon is limited to 32 characters (with no work-around to give it a longer name), this isn't always possible.  There is a work-around to this problem as well, which is to simply create a new ID for the icon and then associate the control with that icon ID.  But this creates an extra resource ID that isn't entirely necessary.  If the field length could be increased, that would prevent the need for the work-around.
  • Additional Theme Support for the Editor.  Unless I'm missing something, the editor always uses the Office XP theme for drawing toolbars and menus and they're built.  I prefer using the Office 2003 theme in my application.  While this isn't critical, it would be nice if the editor allowed you to build/preview your menus and toolbars in any of the supported themes.

I think that covers most of my comments, and I hope others will post their suggestions as well.  Like I said, the Designer Studio is great for quickly building your application's menu and toolbars.  Hopefully Codejock will incorporate some of our suggestions to make it even better.

jhsoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2004 at 10:05am
Hi Boyd!

I fully agree with all your points above.

Does Codejock read this, or do we need to post your suggestions somewhere else too ?
Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2004 at 12:04pm

I've actually sent all of these items to Codejock using their 'Feature Request' form, but I never got a response.  Actually, I've never gotten a response from anything sent via the 'Feature Request' or 'Bug Report' forms, so I stopped using those forms.  I did have a discussion with Oleg in the forums about support for ICO files, and I think they're going to consider it.  I don't know if 32-bit alpha icons are part of that plan.

Once we have some good feedback about other suggestions for the Designer Studio, maybe we can e-mail Codejock for their feedback (if we haven't already gotten it here).

Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2004 at 12:10pm
I've copied this post to a new thread to give it a more appropriate subject line.  Please use the following thread for future posts on suggestions for the Designer Studio: http://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=447
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2004 at 2:29pm

Thanks boys. Nice suggestions.

Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2004 at 9:36pm
I think everyone will be happy to know that this can be done in the new release.
jhsoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2004 at 4:25am
New release ?
I see 8.62 mentioned in several post on this board, but no specifics.
Do you have any more info on this ?

Originally posted by SuperMario SuperMario wrote:

I think everyone will be happy to know that this can be done in the new release.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic