Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Skin Framework
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ITunes .msstyles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ITunes .msstyles
    Posted: 21 March 2006 at 3:56pm

If possible, could I ask one of the MFC users out there to upload a copy of the iTunes .msstyle used with the online SkinFramework displayed on the CJ web site. Us Active-X folks missed out on that one.  Cry

Thanks!

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 7:39am
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
DDJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 8:32am
Thanks, Oleg!
gshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:02am
Just a quick note, most of the skins out there require the author's permission before being used commercially... So make sure to contact the author before using their skin, or distributing it with your app!
DDJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:34am

Thanks, gshawn, I was wondering about that.

This issue could become complex.  For example, I like certain aspects of the iTunes skin, but not all.  The borders work well in my app, but not the colors.  Plus, the size of some of the skins I browsed were huge...posing obvious problems for a downloaded installation file.

Assuming I was able to find an app that would allow me to edit the msstyles file (eg., remove all formatting info other than the border info), would I still be required to compensate the skin author?  Although I am not a lawyer, I have been a CPA for 25 years, and I suspect the answer to the question is "better safe than sorry".  As a developer, it also makes sense that use of ANY aspect of the skin warrants compensation.

Which, while we're on the topic, who is the author of the iTunes skin?

gshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by DDJJ DDJJ wrote:

This issue could become complex.  For example, I like certain aspects of the iTunes skin, but not all.  The borders work well in my app, but not the colors.  Plus, the size of some of the skins I browsed were huge...posing obvious problems for a downloaded installation file.

The theme files can be large however they should compress really well, so the impact on the actual download size should not be too heavy.

I would say it's different in each case because ultimately that's up to the skin author. Some will be more lenient than others. I think "better safe than sorry" is a good rule of thumb when dealing with possible copyright violations in shipping software. :)

Which, while we're on the topic, who is the author of the iTunes skin?

The skin was created by KoL at www.studiotwentyeight.com. Very talented artist... However I contacted him yesterday and he mentioned that he would have to charge me if I wanted to use his skin in a non-freeware application. At this time I have not pursued further to ask about the cost... but it can't be that expensive. :)

I hope this helps!

DDJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:27pm

Thank you, yes it does.

Can I assume that any "cjstyles" skins provided by CJ and used, in whole or in part, in user's apps, will be royalty-free?

Zach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 5:05pm

I was able to find an app that would allow me to edit the msstyles file (eg., remove all formatting info other than the border info), would I still be required to compensate the skin author?  Although I am not a lawyer, I have been a CPA for 25 years, and I suspect the answer to the question is "better safe than sorry".  As a developer, it also makes sense that use of ANY aspect of the skin warrants compensation.

Unless you used the skin with no changes - for one it would be real hard to prove that yours was not a unique creative work. 

Somebody can come up and say that they created a skin - and you could with very little effort more than likely find other skins that where created before that one that are very similiar.  There is only so much that one can do, as they are all in essense just different colored and shaded versions of Microsoft Windows Skins which are in essense nothing more than different colored and shaded Original Mac skins. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic