Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TUTORIALS...TUTORIALS...DOCUMENTATION!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TUTORIALS...TUTORIALS...DOCUMENTATION!!!
    Posted: 23 January 2004 at 1:32am

After purchasing Xtreme toolkit and spending hours trying to GUESS how to use it, I am contamplating returning it for a FULL REFUND.

This is an IMPRESSIVE control, but useless if it cannot be implemented in projects quick - The small help file is only a LIST of the control's properties - It is impossible to get these controls to do what I need them to do without documentation.... TOO BAD...

I SUGGEST before releasing any more updates, a better HELP file and documentation along with some tutorials be written and released....

eval-guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eval-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2004 at 1:45pm

Well, I would have to agree. After looking for a couple months for the best controls, this Codejock stuff looked best of breed and most complete.

Wish they had spent a portion of the time it took to make their fancy sales web site on their documentation.

The Good: Awesome Looking Controls, Appears Most Complete
The Bad: No Substantial Docs, Confusing Product Matrix

The verdict: not likely to buy. In business you have to have a better mouse trap, have a market for that mouse trap, and have to be able to get people to acquire and use the mouse trap. Think we're failing on the last item. People use what they can get and make work. Hopefully someone will deal with the issue.

SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2004 at 2:55pm
Codejock has been working on this problem.  Complete tutorials on how to create the ActiveX CommandBars samples are in their final stages of development.  I am not too sure exactly when they will be released as they are still in the development.  Contact Codejock support for  information on how to aquire the tutorials.
eval-guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eval-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2004 at 2:18pm

Glad the Codejock has recognized this issue as a dificentcy and is taking action to address the matter. Perhaps I'll become a customer yet.

Wanted to point out though that I think most people will spend far more time than they should trying to figure things out for themselves, so including the Project in your VB examples instead of just the compiled apps would have probably gone a long way. I'd have to admit, I dont know if Ive ever seen demo apps being given out from a component provider without the project! Usually it a compile it yourself and see it work demo that in essence says "see what we did! Look how we did it. You can do it too."

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2004 at 2:40pm
The complete source code and projects are included.  For some reasononly the .exe are in the start menu.  Look in the folder c:\Program Files\Codejock Software\ActiveX\SuiteEval\Samples\ and you will be able to play around witht he source.

Edited by SuperMario
jpcoffey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpcoffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2004 at 5:36pm

I'm in agreement with the original post.  The codejock controls are exactly what I'm looking for.  They are leagues above what I've seen out there,  but there is now way I am going to slog through the inadequate documentation in an attempt to use them. 

I have to admit that after reading the posts and opening the sample projects I am still at a loss as to how to use the controls.  I can make inferences on how to do it, but I think we all know that over time that is usually exhausing as there are many ways to accomplish something.  Trying to read a developer's mind is no fun at all and regrettably that is what the developers at CodeJock decided to encumber us with.  I am going to have to pass on these controls until some straight forwad examples and some clear documentation on how to implement the controls is released. 

Sincerely,

Patrick

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2004 at 8:50pm
Patrick,
Codejock is working hard to put together some comprehensive tutorials that show you how to create each sample project.  They are going to be released soon.  Contact Codejock support to obtain these tutorials before they are officially released.  Before you make up your mind you should give the tutorials a look.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2004 at 3:12pm
Codejock has released some preliminary documentation for Xtreme Suite v8.70 for ActiveX. The documentation contains several tutorials to help create the sample projects.  

The documentation can be found at this link:
http://www.codejock.com/downloads/

You can reply to this post with suggestions and comments or send an email to support.activex@codejock.com

We are looking forward to your feedback
PhilJeary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilJeary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2004 at 10:14am

Just to add in my 2 cents worth:

I managed to work out how to use each control on its own to a fair degree just by using the samples etc, but when I tried to get the codejock components to interact with other components (standard or 3rd party) I didn't manage to work any out at all.

It was unfortunate as the codejock components looked so promising, but due to time constraints I had to leave it this time round.  Hopefully there will be other opportunities.

Edited by PhilJeary
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2004 at 10:42pm
i think what is happening (as you inferred) is that people are clicking on the samples and seeing the .exe's rather than the sample code and not understanding that samples with source exist. I would change the install to open up the project file in vb instead of the exe or showing message to user that full source exists in (name the folder)

I don't see how people could not figure out how to use the controls "at all" with the samples that include run time code - so I'm assuming they aren't finding the samples.

also the posts here are kind of cryptic - i can't figure out how to use codejock - why? what exactly could you not figure out? etc. also rather than posting that you can't figure out how to use it - why not post a specific question and perhaps you would get the answer you were looking for

having said that - the designer through me off a bit and the docs are pretty weak. I prefer to work 100% through run time and not mess with the designer at all. the sample code is great and the new pdf tutorials are great too.

i'd rather put in some effort and get great looking apps. keep up the great work codejocks
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2004 at 11:19pm
Yes, the new installers will include a link to the projects, not the .exe.
kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2004 at 4:22pm

Hello,

Please take a look at the latest version 8.70, you will see that there are several links now for all of the sample projects.  Additionally, you will find a complete tutorial reference included as well.

Kind regards,
Codejock Support

kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2004 at 9:37pm

The final version of 8.70 was just posted tonight, please be sure you download this latest version.

Kirk Stowell, President and CEO
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic