Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How good is codejock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How good is codejock?
    Posted: 21 October 2003 at 3:11pm

I am a currently disappointed user of Infragistics NetAdvantage Suite for their COM offerings for VB6. I am seriously considering purchasing the Xtreme Toolkit Pro and moving to MFC over VB6 even as recommened to me by a post on the Infragistics newsgroups.  They seem to be focusing only on .NET and ASP now and offer almost no new fixes or updates to the COM tools, and nothing at all for MFC. Since I sell software online and only about 15% of the visitors to my website have .NET installed, requiring that giant 25M+ download for a 3M application would be suicide for my business.
I was wondering how quickly Codejock respondes to bugs, visual glitches, or new feature requets from posts on these forums. Do the tools get updated regularly or are there problems that stay around for a long time?  I saw a visual problem with the FlatComboBox already and couldn't figure out how to make it work, and haven't heard from them yet myself.  Are there free hotfixes for bugs/visual problems, or does Codejock nickle-and-dime with continuous upgrade purchases so as to make people buy the 1-year subscription for support and upgrades?  I don't mind paying for new features, but bug fixes should be free of course.  Do most people purchase the yearly support contracts from Codejock, and if you do, are you satisfied with them? Does having the subscription give you a voice that Codejock listens to first with regard to bug fixes or new features?
Feel free to email me in response if you prefer.
Thanks.

douglashogan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote douglashogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2003 at 4:42pm

my 10 pence worth...

i think codejock is the best MFC based toolkit at the moment. I checked dundas and a couple of others and codejock was ahead. They seem to be fairly prompt with bug fixes. I have been using the toolkit in another product since march. even as it is without any more bugfixes, it is worth the money. anything else that goes in in the 12 month subscription period is a bonus. I do know MFC pretty well and I can say that the code is high quality, although there are some very distinctive coding styles used which make it obvious that one propgrammer is responsible for some parts and another programmer for others. I don't know how many programmers are involved in codejock, 2 for definite, maybe more.

Can't speak for the .NET implementation. Some guy posted a message some months ago saying that the .NET implementation was just a very thin wrapper over the MFC code. don't use .net either so its not an issue.

I only bought the OT pro. i didn't pay for any support over and above that supplied with the toolkit. The core stuff all works, but you really have to use the classes in the way they are designed. Try all the demos and if you like what you see then buy it.

Regards
Douglas Hogan
Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2003 at 5:02pm

The toolkit does seem to be the best, and I don't care much about .NET either, but I have yet to see anybody from Codejock even comment on my problem with the flat combo box in XP style, so I'm not sure how much they pay attention to these forums.  I would hope they prioritize forums over email since it can help benefit the community and eliminate redundant answers.  I guess I'll have to just wait and see.  It sounds like I have to buy the year subscription if I want to keep up to date with the bug fixes though.

douglashogan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote douglashogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2003 at 1:17pm

sometimes it takes a while to get a fix. I'm sure they do read the messages, but as I said, I think it's only a couple of guys working on the code, so they may have to prioritize their time.

don't use the combo box myself, but there is a lot of stuff I do use and it works. I don't know if there are any other new companies working on this type of stuff for MFC. Can you wait? I couldn't.

Regards
Douglas Hogan
Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2003 at 1:27pm

I plan on having a lot of combo boxes and other such GUI elements from the Toolkit Pro in my configuration dialog boxes. Combo boxes are very common I would imagine, and while the Office 2000 style it nice, Office XP/2003 would be better.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic