Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Report Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DEMO: Single Expanded Group Navigation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DEMO: Single Expanded Group Navigation
    Posted: 27 February 2010 at 12:15pm
As discussed in some previous threads, I've been trying to get the ReportControl to behave such that only one group row will be expanded at a time, and one child row of the expanded group row will always be selected. Additionally, group rows should never get focus, and should not be expandable or collapseable by the user. Due to some bugs in the RC, this has proven to be a bit trickier than I would have expected

Here's what I have so far:

uploads/20100227_120929_RcSingleGroupEx.zip

Some known problems (anyone have answers for these?):
  1. If you click a group row that is above another group row, the bottom row will be selected instead of the top row
  2. I don't know how to hide the group row +/- buttons (they are deceptive to the user since they can't control expanding/collapsing). I've tried removing the glyphs (0 and 1), but then the column header button for expanding/collapsing columns is also removed, which I do not want.
#1 is a problem because I am tracking the direction the focus is coming from to select either the top row or the bottom row of a group when it is first expanded - my reasoning is that if you are coming from the bottom, then the user would want to select the bottom-most row when using the keyboard. However, when using the mouse, the use would likely want the top-most row. Unfortunately, MouseDown fires after FocusChanging, so I haven't found an easy way to signal to the FocusChanging event that the focus is changing because of a mouse event instead of a keyboard event. I will keep researching this area.

#2 is a problem because I want to remove the group expand/collapse button, but keep the column expand/collapse button. Maybe there is a property to hide the group row expand/collapse button, but I haven't found it yet. If it doesn't exist could it be added as a feature?

Enjoy the demo and use it for any purpose that you require. Bug reports and ideas are always welcome.

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2010 at 6:24am
Hi Jason,

I'm glad you created this demo. I was sure that .RemoveIcon 0 and 1 would remove the +/- signs for grouprows but I didn't know that also the expand/collapse icon would be "removed" as well.

After some investigation I found that:
The problem is when you remove the +/- icons, the width of these icons becomes zero, thats why expand/collapse icons aren't showing. I think because the +/- icons can be used for expand/collapse icons as well (wndReportControl.PaintManager.ColumnPlusMinusSign = True property) the width (and maybe height) are used to draw the icons. 

So adding icons (16x16) for 0 & 1 "with only transparent area" I noticed the grouprow text indentation was still there and wanted to decrease it by adding icons with just one pixel (width & height) it worked OK but the expand/collapse icon was showing only partially. See screenshot

Note: The +/- sign icon width is 8 pixels and you can see the expand/collapse icon is drawn with the same width. I don't see how to get around this, the only one who can is CJ and hope they will do something about it.

For your #1 problem: My discussions, about selecting grouprows, with Mark have been very "nasty" so I have to pass on this one. I hope you will get more out of this and wish you good luck

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2010 at 8:46am
Hi Aaron,

Thanks a lot for taking a look at the demo and trying to find a solution, I appreciate it. I didn't think of adding transparent icons, it was a good idea (I thought the expand/collapse icon for columns was being destroyed, not just hidden). It would seem that the column expand/colapse width calculations should be taking its own glyph width into consideration, and not glyphs 0/1. I'll see where I get with a support ticket.

Thanks again!
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic