Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skinng / Protection Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ocrana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skinng / Protection Problems
    Posted: 15 February 2010 at 4:04pm
Hello,

I have a really bad problem. I need to protect my software against cracking. I evaluate now a few solutions and I have in most cases the problem, that my software will not work well after protect.
After talk to 2 companies I know now that Codejock skinning is the problem. Codejock overrides some Windows API by modifiying the import table of the file. Protection software uses its own import table, so Codejock's code
doesn't get called at all.

I use the codejock libs in a dialog based app, compiled with static linked librarys, unicode. I use the Vista skin.

Please give me a solution how to avoid this problems. Protection is a really important issue.

Thanks,

Ingo
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 8:46am
If you want to use the skin engine you must disable API-wrapping in the protector.
PokerMemento - http://www.pokermemento.com/
mitcheljh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitcheljh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 11:07am
I agree with znakeeye.
I also use a popular software protection application to wrap my own exe, and the skinning works fine with API-wrapping turned off in the protector. My own application uses advanced skinning features in ToolkitPro, and it has no problems with the protection.

If you still have problems after turning off the API-wrapping, you might want to check where you initially apply skinning to your app. Changing this around seemed to fix a couple issues for me.
Marco1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 11:43am
I had some similar problems with a third party printing engine.
Calling XTPSkinManager()->SetAutoApplyNewWindows(FALSE) before invoking the engine fixed it.
After printing, reenabling starts skinning again. Perhaps you can do the same with the protection module.

Ocrana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ocrana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 6:26pm
I do not write here about basic software protection like the nerd tools you can buy for less than 100 USD. I write about real software protection with memory manipulation protection and more deeper technologies.

For me currently it is hard to understand why it works with Codejock dynamic linked and do not work wit CodeJock static linked.

mitcheljh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitcheljh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 6:56pm
I didn't realize you could purchase decent protection for under 100 USD. Mine was well over that, from a very reputable protection company, and I'm guessing the same for those others who replied.
Ocrana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ocrana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 8:52pm
sorry, but "to wrap" is no low level protection. So I assume you wrote about common "wrapper/packer".

However, I do not want to discuss any "protection" issues or software specific settings.
I need information about the problem I wrote about. It will be great whether a CodeJock member will say something about this problem. Cause I need to know where the problem is.
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 5:13am

Like I said, you must not enable API-wrapper protection for the codejock skinning engine. So if you leave the skinning code in the unprotected DLL, it will work. When linking statically, the skinning code is inside your exe - which is later protected.

This is not an error at all. Just a conflict. If you cannot disable the API-wrapper in the protector, then don't link statically! Or even better, choose a protector that is capable of that. Sure, you'd get a decrease in protection when disabling API-wrapping, but... most crackers are not fooled for a second by those tricks anyway.
Ocrana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ocrana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 9:27am
"most crackers are not fooled for a second by those tricks anyway" .....is the worst comment I ever read. I can not take you seriously.

It is really a joke why people will comment things, they have no experience with. To say: Disable protection to use the CodeJock libs is amazing. And I do not think that this is the official statement of CodeJock.
mitcheljh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitcheljh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 9:33am
Ocrana,

We are just offering you our own experiences in this matter. So far, it seems that all three responses have been pretty much in agreement.

In my own experiences, API-wrapping is just one of over a dozen techniques used by most of the better software protection solutions. Disabling this one technique will not have that big of an effect if you leave all the other techniques enabled. You claim that your software protection solution is a higher priced (and I'm assuming, higher quality) solution, so it should offer many more techniques than just API-wrapping.

I believe if you search this forum, you will find the same question asked, and the same answer given.
Ocrana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ocrana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 9:54am
mitcheljh,

" I write about real software protection with memory manipulation protection" ..... I wrote before. A clear statement of my own, so why discuss further things that do not allow this?
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 2:01pm
"those tricks" referred to "API wrapping" - something that your protection should NOT rely 100% on (and YES, a cracker is NOT fooled by an API-wrapper itself). Sorry for not being accurate. So YES, you DISABLE 5% of the protection to get the skinning engine working. NO, this is NOT the official statement of Codejock. Try their support! Or even better; try the support of the protection software.

Your comment "is the worst comment I ever read. I can not take you seriously." merely indicates that you have no idea of what you are talking about.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic