Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Docking Pane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can CMDIChildWnd’s be dockable panes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsharifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can CMDIChildWnd’s be dockable panes?
    Posted: 09 December 2004 at 10:52am

Does someone know whether it is possible to make each CMDIChildWnd child frame window a dockable pane with a tearoffable tab?  I have a MDI application where I want each top-level child frame window to be its own dockable pane with a tearoffable tab.  I also want each child frame window to have its own menu bar (i.e. I want the default MDI behavior when switching between child frames).

One last question, is it possible to have nested dockable panes (i.e. A dockable pane with dockable panes inside it?).

Any examples would be very helpful!  Thank you to whomever can help me!

Beaux

Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2004 at 6:57am

I can answer your last question.  I have created an application in VB using the ActiveX version where I had dockable panes on the MDI window as well as dockable panes on the MDIChild window.  I didn't have any problems.  If you can do it in ActiveX, surely you can do it in MFC.

bsharifi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsharifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2004 at 11:34am

Thanks Boyd.  I was able to successfully do the same thing in MFC by creating additional child CFrameWnd's and then registering the docking pane manager on them.  However, I am still having trouble with the first question.

The MDITabWindow example demonstrates making CMDIChildWnd's dockable panes.  However, upon doing so, they become child panes of the main frame's pane manager but are no longer child frames (thus not Doc/View aware).

My last guess is creating an individual child frame window (CMDIChildWnd) for each child pane window (CXTPDockingPane).  Then, hiding the client area off the main frame and trying to dynamically switch the child frame focus whenever the corresponding child pane focus changes.  This way, I effectively get the MDI behavior and the dynamic pane behavior at the same time.  This seems like a lot of work though and not as clean as if the Docking Pane toolkit provided the behavior for me.  Any other ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic