Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Controls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frustrating "Out of Box" Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whoever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frustrating "Out of Box" Experience
    Posted: 02 February 2009 at 8:28pm
Pardon me while I vent....

My first half hour with your ActiveX trial has not been productive.  If your objective was to have me continue googling for other products the strategy is almost achieved.  If on the other hand you wanted me to try and buy your software, please consider the below as suggestions for improvement.

1.  I am initially interested only in the Controls.  Why should I have to download and install the whole Suite?

2.  The supplied help, while extensive, is apparently lacking "Getting Started" information.  I eventually stumbled across the fact your controls are named "Xtreme ..." so I was able to load them on my VS 2005 toolbox.

(The "Articles and Tutorials" forum seems devoid of tutorials.)

3.  My preferred method of learning a new control is to drag it on a new form, press F5 and see what the default does, make a change or two, press F5 and observe the changes, and repeat.  Your trial dialog that pops up EVERY TIME and makes me fume in frustration until the continue button is activated is extremely annoying.  What, do you think I'm too stupid to remember I'm using trial software?  You told me that 20 seconds ago, and 25 seconds before that.  Well I'm not that stupid.  I have bought many programming tools and one trial dialog box per VS session was good enough.  The last tool I purchased after a full, hassle-free 30 day trial was JetBrains dotTrace, which costs substantially more than your Controls package.

And I can't even press the enter key to dismiss the trial dialog, because that opens yet another copy of your web site in a browser window!

I'm going to continue looking for other controls.  But I thought I should share exactly what drove me to keep looking.  These vexations are correctable and IMO will lead to increased sales.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic