Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Docking Pane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tooltips in a tree ctrl clipped when floating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tooltips in a tree ctrl clipped when floating
    Posted: 14 July 2008 at 12:32pm
We have some docking panes that have dialogs in them that have the windows tree control in them. When resized so that the pane is too small to handle the text, windows will show a tooltip containing the full text of the item that is clipped.

Everything works fine until the user undocks the docking pane. Once it is floated and resized so some of the text in the tree control is clipped, any tooltip that is displayed by the tree control appears to display "under" the floating pane so that only the area of the tip that extends past the right size of the floating pane is visible to the user.

It seems that the floating pane is higher in the z-order than the tooltip.

This does not happen on a 64 bit Vista OS but does happen on a 32 bit XP OS.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?
link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 9:55am
I have noticed a similar problem. I have implemented a tooltip control for some dockable views. If the pane is floating, then the tooltip is displayed underneath the window. I am on XP.

Were you able to solve this issue?

Thx.
link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 3:31pm
so oleg got back to me with regards to this issue. it is a known issue of the CToolTipCtrl and floating windows.
basically, you capture the TTN_SHOW and SetWindowPos to HWND_TOP for the tooltip to ensure proper z order.
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 4:17pm
No I have not. I gave up and moved on due to other priorities. So my issue is still open (customer complaint). Oddly enough we have some panes where this doesn't occur so it drove me nuts trying to figure out just what the difference is.
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2009 at 7:18pm

Not sure if this helps, but make sure your child window's owner is set to the parent window.

m_pane.Attach(&m_wndTree);
m_wndTree.SetOwner(this);
PokerMemento - http://www.pokermemento.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic