Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Report Control
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FEATURES: Managing Columns (4 possible features)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FEATURES: Managing Columns (4 possible features)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FEATURES: Managing Columns (4 possible features)
    Posted: 13 July 2008 at 3:12am
Hi,

This thread will be about managing columns in the ReportControl. If all issues are fixed/added see post: http://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10986 I'm satisfied with the RC in general. But I have a few things that could be added:

1. When dropping columns onto the groupbox it would be wishfull to drag & drop the columns back into the header ONLY on the initial position of the column (when AllowColumnReorder = false). When having a column order and you don't allow the user to change it, this would be an option to have the order as initially was. Added by @Aaron / 13-07-2008
  2. Have .EnableCustomization property (like the StatusBar.EnableCustomization) for HeaderSection (and there are 3 more sections, I believe... )  and have the option to: Added by @Aaron / 13-07-2008
    • Toggle visibility of columns - Must have
    • Sort column - Could have
    • Group column - Could have
    • Note 1: don't forget to add the string in Resource, Caption of customization popup for other languages  - must have 
  3. The ColumnsOrderChanged event does not have any parameters so there is no way to tell which of the 4 actions took place. Added by @Fossil / 26-07-2008  (available in V12.1.0)
    • When a column header is dragged into the Group By box
    • When the order of the column headers change in the Group By box
    • When a column header is clicked on and/or dragged in the FieldChooser
    • When a column header is added to the FieldChooser.
  4. Option to have auto resizing after FreezeColumnsCount. This would also be an option to get rid of the last column which has no functionality (when AutoColumnSizing = false) Added by @Aaron / 20-08-2008

If you have more ideas, please reply.
If you have ideas this thread will be used to discuss it, OK? Add as many info as possible and not just: I want this and want that, be serious! I will add your idea to this post so everyone doesn't need to read every single reply.

Thanks in advance

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 7:24am
Hi,

I wouldn't mind if you would say that your satisfied with it, at least I know someone is reading this.

Thanks

jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 10:55am
Sorry Aaron, I haven't been using the ReportControl very much so far (although I do plan on it in the future). I can't really add too much to these ideas. #1 sounds to me how it should work, and as for #2 I'm not sure what EnableCustomization would do...What would get customized?
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

McKloony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKloony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 11:48am
I have still one big problem with the RC und the GroupBox. In my application users have a function to set an default grouping by click onto a checkbox. This function adds a group.

If i reload the data of the RC, i have to delete all groups, because after reloading, the groups have to be add again. If i don't delete the groups before, the groups will be added twice.

To this point everything works fine. But if a user adds another column manually by dragging it into the GroupBox and then ends the application, this column isn’t visible anymore. A solution for this problem could be, that there is an option, to leave the original column in the ColumnHeder und set only a copy of it in the GroupBox.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) 16.2.5

Platform: XP / Windows 7

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by jpbro jpbro wrote:

Sorry Aaron, I haven't been using the ReportControl very much so far (although I do plan on it in the future). I can't really add too much to these ideas. #1 sounds to me how it should work, and as for #2 I'm not sure what EnableCustomization would do...What would get customized?

Hi Jason,

The idea is adding your own ideas  Or have comments on others as well.

jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 12:46pm
I only meant that I would like to have been more helpful, but since I haven't used the RC very much yet, I don't have anything useful to add at this point .

I guess my only comment on #2 would be, that I would be just as likely to add my own functionality and popup menu (for hiding and other functions on right-click of a column). Although having the option to use some basic built-in functionality wouldn't hurt.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Peter59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 12:55am
Originally posted by McKloony McKloony wrote:

But if a user adds another column manually by dragging it into the GroupBox and then ends the application, this column isn’t visible anymore.

Of course this behaviour is unusual. My users expecting the grouped column residing in the RC too.  Could it be a solution to handle the GroupOrderChanged event? Something like that

Private Sub wndReportControl_GroupOrderChanged()

Dim rptCol As XtremeReportControl.ReportColumn

For Each rptCol In wndReportControl.GroupsOrder
        rptCol.Visible = True
    Next

End Sub

The GroupOrderChanged event occurs when the user changes the columns group order of report control. By iterating through the ColumnsOrder collection and making all included columns visible all columns will reside in the RC regardless of grouping.

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.2.1
Platform: Windows 7 64 Bit
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 9:41am
Hi,

It's a start but I expect more than these few replies. And I don't mind if the support team would reply as well. All RC users are pulling out their hair just to have an idea and maybe the idea has already been added as a feature in next release

So, think harder guys (and maybe girls, I can't tell if there are any )

Thanks again

McKloony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKloony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 10:51am

I'm a little bi busy at the moment, to make a full sample. But maybe you understand what I mean, if I explain another way:

1) I have a application that hat a ReportControl.
2) I load the data and enable the GroupBox
3) Then I drop a group in the GroupBox
4) When I do this, the actual ReportControl settings will be saved with the ReportControl.SaveSettings method in a *.ini file.
5) Now I end the application

The problem is that I use two different recordsets, to show into the ReportControl with complete different columns. Because I want so switch between both recordsets during the same session, I have to delete all groups, records and columns, before I load the new recordset.

With ReportControl
    .EditItem Nothing, Nothing
    If .GroupsOrder.Count > 0 Then .GroupsOrder.DeleteAll
    If .Records.Count > 0 Then .Records.DeleteAll
    If .Columns.Count > 0 Then .Columns.DeleteAll
    .Populate
End With

Before I load the new recordset (at application start or by switching) I load the correct ReportControl settings from an *.ini file with the .LoadSettings method. And now the dropped column is not visible. Maybe it is a question of the correct sequence (what doing first), but I first delete all groups, records and columns and so on and the I load the settings from the *.ini file.

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 3:52pm
Marcus,

It is still difficult to find out what is wrong here. I don't use LoadSettings and SaveSettings because I want more info to be saved as below. So testing this will take some time for me to build what you want.

Now, first of all:
  1. This info will be saved:  Column order, sort order, group order, column visibility, GroupBox visibility, Column Width, and Alignment.
  2. In the help file you will find that you can always load the settings at any time, so it looks like it doesn't matter if columns are added already. I would think you have to add the columns first and then load the settings (I don't know for sure but there will be a support member who can tell you exactly in what order you have to do this).
  3. I see that you also delete GroupsOrder and if all works as expected you should be able to load the GroupsOrder from the file as well.
  4. One thing you have to check: GroupOrder is cleared when property ShowItemsInGroups is set to True. If you do this after you load the settings, you have no GroupsOrder ! 

I can't think of anything else but it looks like this should work (or it's some kind of bug, or setting that have to be set before or after you load the settings). If you have more time you could upload a test project and I could test this myself. If this isn't helping you, I think you better start a new thread, and if this is a bug I will add it to my collection and if this needs to be added as feature I will add it also

btw Why do you use just one RC in your form? I have a form with three RC's in it, in combination with DockingPanes. So I have Tabs to switch between the RC's. See my post FIXED BUGS and look for
uploads/20080623_025015_ReportControl.zip (2 RC's with DockingPanes)

McKloony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKloony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 9:30am

The only thing to solve my problem is, to add a property to the RC, that lets the column, that will be dragged into the GropuBox = Visible. Of course a dragged column, that is still visible, couldn’t drag again into the GroupBox.

For many users, incidentally, it would be a great advantage if grouped columns would always visible.

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 11:43am
Marcus,

Now you lost me totally...

Please look at issue 13. in my post, maybe it has something to do with this. If not you better post an issue about this. But support member wants you to upload a sample as well  (or he understands what you mean) 

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 8:01am
Hi all RC users and support team,

I think all users are satisfied with the ReportControl. I will add the features to my list and I will be satisfied with it too.

Thank you all

Fossil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fossil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2008 at 10:54am
Anybody have ideas about this?

By definition the event _ColumnsOrderChanged is.."This event occurs when a columns order is changed by the user dragging the column to another position, when a column header is dragged into the Group By box, when the order of the column headers change in the Group By box, when a column header is clicked on and/or dragged in the FieldChooser, and when a column header is added to the FieldChooser."

The ColumnsOrderChanged event does not have any parameters so there is no way to tell which of the 4 actions took place.  I only what to perform an action if the user pulls a column from the FieldChooser to the report or places a column from the report into the FieldChooser.

We keep FilterHiddenColumns set to false, but if the user has text in the filter text add adds a column from the field chooser to the report I want to re-populate the report to capture any filter text matches.

My recommendation is to have CodeJock add an Actions enumeration parameter to the ColumnsOrderChanged event if at all possible.

Thanks
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 12.0.2
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 3:09am
Hi,

Seems that we are all satisfied...

Thank you all

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 8:28am
Hi,

I know not all features will be implemented but some responce would be nice. I have already blisters on my fingers and not a single reply from support...

Just say:
  1. No
  2. No
  3. Maybe in V15.0
  4. No

will do fine...

Thanks...

Post Reply Post Reply