Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Controls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

POLL: Resizer control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POLL: Resizer control
    Posted: 18 April 2008 at 9:14am
Hi, to all CJ users

There was a post about the help that comes with this control

I was wondering who uses the resizer control and is satisfied with it?
Could, the ones who are really satisfied, upload a sample form in which you use the resizer control? I would like to do the testing myself of course (you can say whatever you want, Showing is Knowing )

Thank you very much in advance
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
Jebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 6:11am
Do I understand you correct? You dont know how to work/use/handle the resizer-control? If yes, what exactly do you dont understand?

Should I upload some little samples here?

By the way: The resizer-control works "nearly" like the ".NET-Anchor"-principle!

(sorry 4 my bad english!)
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 7:42am
Hi,

Yes, please upload your (most beautiful-difficult-best) form with the resizer control. I'm really curious how you did it.

Thanks
younicke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote younicke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 8:00am
me too.

right now im still using third party control for resizing my controls.
that's why i also wanted to know how to best use this control.

thanks!
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 9:24am
So you guys read the front page for the Resizer Control in the help and still don't understand?

One thing the Resizer allows you to do is to keep a control, like a button, docked to a specific location on a resizable form.  For example, you want the button to stay centered vertically at the bottom of a form as it is resized.

Or you might have some edit controls in a form.  When resized you would like the edit control's width to be resized proportional to the new width of the form.

Jebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 9:29am
The Resizer is realy simple to understand.

Because It is pure mathematics!

For Example:

If U need a full-resize, then set the H + W to 100%

If U need a half (one-to-one) resize, then set it to 50% AND dont forget to set the position-percent (the second one must have 50%)

Look at this sample...

*take notice to the 4 ListBoxes - they have a Width of 25% - because 100/4 = 25 !!!

The only thing I REALY MISS, is this feature: https://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10336

Because if U set any of your "child-controls" on a wrong position and U must change Ur layout some days after, U R in a "one way street"!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 9:47am
Well done, I was in the process of making a simple sample, you saved me the trouble of finishing it

We will change up the wording a little to try and make it easier to understand.
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Jebo Jebo wrote:

The Resizer is realy simple to understand. 

Hi,

Huh huh, riding a bicycle is just as easy, did you ever see a 1 year old child riding it

I happened to see your post about the not showing the properties in the PropertyPage of the resizerControl and you just uploaded a V12 sample, thanks a lot
vbocanegra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbocanegra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 10:52am
Thanks by the example. Now i understand the way the use Resizer control. :)

Thanks a lot.

Sorry, i would want to explain it, but my english is so poor. Someone speak spanish?
Victor Bocanegra Arias
Barreda Moller
Lima, Peru
Jebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

I happened to see your post about the not showing the properties in the PropertyPage of the resizerControl and you just uploaded a V12 sample, thanks a lot

Hä???

It is a V12 sample because not showing the properties in the PropertyPage of the resizerControl v11 (!!!) and not inverse!

And by the way: You can switch it from v12 to v11! Why you dont do that?
Mr.Den View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Den Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:21am

Aye, providing a sample using beta controls does not make much sense. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:38am
OK, then try this, I just manually changed the version to 11.2.2

uploads/20080423_113742_Form1.zip
Jebo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:40am
SuperMario, U was a little second faster then me! ;-)

I want upload exactly the same thing at the second! :-)
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 1:30pm
Hi,

Thanks for the samples you guys uploaded. I will take a closer look at it and if there are issues you will be informed.

I will be back
Mr.Den View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Den Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 1:58pm

Thanks for the samples you guys uploaded.

Agreed, thank you as well
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 12:01pm

Hi,

I am back

The first time a used the control I thought: this is a control that was developed on a monday morning But now I see it more clearly and I have to say it's not that bad. You have to keep some things in mind to have a proper resize.

1.    When a control is added to the ResizerControl the position and size of the control (in IDE) will be used to position/resize the control during runtime. The settings X,Y,W,H are percentages of position and size of the control added to the ResizerControl propertylist. So you have to position the control the way you want it in the resizer (IDE). If you want the control full sized you have to set size to the size of the ResizerControl (IDE). From now on these values (size and position) will be used to calculate the resizing

2.    When you want to prevent the control to be resized less then a certain width or height you must use Enable Horizontal/Vertical Scroll. The control (listbox,textbox,button etc.) itself prevents resizing to 0 or a negative number. If you don't use the Enable Horizontal/Vertical Scroll the ResizeControl will keep resizing its contents and all controls (width or height) in it will be at least 1 pixel / 15 twips. When resizing the ResizerControl (width or height) the Resizer will calculate the controls size/position from that point on.

Issues:

1.    When adding a FileListBox, DirListBox or List control (only MS Listbox) to the resizer, the controls don't resize in a proper way, only the width responds well but the height seems to be a problem. The control get smaller every time until the height is just the minimum height of the control.

2.    If controls are added to the ResizerControl (property Dialog) and they are removed from the ResizerControl (as control) afterwards, then removing the controls from the list you get a major error and the IDE crashes.

3.    If a control is added to the resizercontrol during runtime (AddControl method) the resizercontrol doesn't refresh the actual size / position

Negativ about the control:

1.    Its a lot of work to get the position and size right when adding a lot of controls to it. Most of the time I was "struggling" to get the postion and size right. Better to position and size the controls in code.

2.    The property dialog is not very functional when adding the controls to the resizer. Way too much switching between the controls. Better to add the control to the resizer in code OR have a complete list of the added controls with the values (New feature in the properties dialog)

3.    There's no method to Remove the controls from the resizer. Example: Adding two listboxes to resizer and afterwards one of the listboxes must be removed. The other listbox must be resized to available area. This isn't possible, that's why we need a method to remove the control from the resizer.

4.    When reordering the controls inside the resizer, there should be a property to set the resizing to false. Annoying when the controls resize automatically

If something is not correct and have to be corrected just reply with the corrections and I will delete my reply and if you guys will do the same we will have just 1 reply with explanations / issues, OK?
To see the control in action I have a sample project

dev_robert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dev_robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 5:56pm
Hi Aaron,

you are absolutly right: the resizer control isn't that bad but it still has the quality of a early monday morning hack.

Why?

1. From time to time (depending what type of control you added) it crashes the whole VB6 IDE in design mode.

2. I use resizer in more complex forms and serveral times my IDE crashes when I try to debug code in a FORM_LOAD event.

3. If you added some controls in design mode and  use autosize = true and then make only a very minor resize to your form, the whole positions of the added controls get corrupted. Very very nasty and you can start your design work again!

But, on the positive side: it makes resizing and and size limitation  convienient for VB6 users! 

I still hope for new non-monday morning version !

Regards,
DEV_ROBERT

Currently on V12
scottmcd9999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottmcd9999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:43pm
It works well enough for my simple needs, once I figured out the whole Size and Position percentages. I too have had the issue where trying to remove a control crashed the IDE; haven't yet had any crashes in runtime but I'm still in the very first stages of development.
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 6:01am
Hi,

And again we need a response of the support team about this. I asked about this in the IssueTracker, no response at all

Lodep59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lodep59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 5:48am
Originally posted by dev_robert dev_robert wrote:

3. If you added some controls in design mode and  use autosize = true and then make only a very minor resize to your form, the whole positions of the added controls get corrupted. Very very nasty and you can start your design work again!

Absolutly !

Yesterday i've added more than 38 controls on a resizer (my app main form). "What a beautiful form !"... Just forgot this issue and resize my form in ide... I'm always working on it to repair...

Note that after this, when you replace your controls in right positions (without deleted them) it works, even if you resize the form in the ide...

Originally posted by scottmcd9999 scottmcd9999 wrote:

I too have had the issue where trying to remove a control crashed the IDE; haven't yet had any crashes in runtime but I'm still in the very first stages of development.

Same issue for me. VB6 Crash when removing some controls from the resizer properties. For information, i'm using resizer since many month and, for me, no crash in runtime.

Great control, but not easy to understand !
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:46am
Hi @Lodep59

If they just added one property (see my reply somewhere in this post) it would all be easier and not having to worry about such a thing . It could be a great control but they have to add some extra functionality (see my reply again )  

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:54am
Originally posted by SuperMario SuperMario wrote:

So you guys read the front page for the Resizer Control in the help and still don't understand?

One thing the Resizer allows you to do is to keep a control, like a button, docked to a specific location on a resizable form.  For example, you want the button to stay centered vertically at the bottom of a form as it is resized.

Or you might have some edit controls in a form.  When resized you would like the edit control's width to be resized proportional to the new width of the form.

SuperMario,

Is this the only response we get on this post? We expect more then this. I posted this in the issuetracker (which I don't use anymore) as well and again no response from CodeJock  

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic