Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Command Bars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CommandBarPopup columns instead of scroll buttons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CommandBarPopup columns instead of scroll buttons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CommandBarPopup columns instead of scroll buttons
    Posted: 29 December 2009 at 3:20pm
Is there any way to get a command bar popup to display its controls in columns (to try to fit them all on-screen) instead of requiring the use of scroll buttons?

For example, if I have a popup that has 40 items, but only 25 will fit onscreen, I must currently scroll up and down the list to find the item I want. Is it possible to show 2 columns with all of the items visible at once?

If this is not possible, then is there a way to force a particular control in a popup to be visible? Using my previous example, when the user clicks a button that shows a popup, I would like to make sure that item #35 is visible on-screen when the menu appears.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

shipwreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipwreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 2:59am
Hey Friend!

I'm assuming that your interested in a function such as a list view (Let me know if I'm wrong).

But I have done something similar to this using a picture box. You can place you controls and whatever it is you would like to be displayed and apply the picture as the pop up's handle.

I hope this helps a bit. If not, let me know and we can try to work something around it.
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 6:50am
Hi Jason,

Glad to have you back in this forum

If I understand your question correctly: You want the items just like windows START menu where all programs are located and if there are to many it will produce a second column, right?

Dim popupColumns As CommandBar
Set popupColumns = CommandBarsEvents.Add("PopupColumns", xtpBarPopup)
      popupColumns.CommandBars.OPTIONS.WrapLargePopups = TRUE

will produce a second (or more if there are lots of items) column instead of just one.

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 10:27am
Hi Shipwreck - thanks for the reply, but Aaron's advice was what I was looking for. The PictureBox trick will likely be useful in the future though.

Hi Aaron - Thanks for the warm welcome...It's good to be back (So far at least, but I haven't been dealing with the RC too much lately )

Thanks also for the help, it was exactly what I needed.

I did encounter one minor problem though - if the number of items in the popup is large and causes the popup window to cover the control that shows it, it will just flicker in and out of existence. You have to then hold the mouse button down on the control in order to keep the popup visible.

Here's a sample to illustrate the problem clearer:

uploads/20091230_102507_LargePopupFlash.zip

1. Click the "Test" button and the popup should appear as expected.
  2. Click the "Test 2" button and the popup will flicker in and out of existence.
  3. Hold the mouse button down on "Test 2" and the popup menu will stay visible (you must then release the mouse over an item to "click" it). 
If this isn't happening for you, try increasing the number of items for the "Test 2" commandbar (monitor resolution and position of the form on screen will affect the results, since the popup has to cover the control that is showing it for the problem to occur).

Can you can confirm this? If so, I will open a support ticket.

Thanks again!

shipwreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipwreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 10:55am
Yeah, you are exactly right my friend. I would have never had guessed. But, I'll keep that down as further reference as well. Thanks Aaron!
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2010 at 9:56am
Hi Jason,

First of all a happy new year and best wishes for 2010 to you and all other members of course

I tried with your sample and I get same result (with V13.2.1 though) I had to increase the items in order to cover the control that is showing it and to keep the popup visible I had to hold the mousebutton down as you mentioned. So opening a support ticket isn't a bad idea

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2010 at 9:01pm
Hi Aaron, thanks for the well wishes and for testing out the sample app. Happy New Year to you and everyone else here at the forum!

I have submitted a support ticket, so we will see how things progress. I'll post the results here.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic