Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Report Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BUG: Selections lost when collapsing a group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNovaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUG: Selections lost when collapsing a group
    Posted: 13 July 2009 at 4:35am
For testing this, create a project with:

- a report control, with .MultiSelect = True
- enable grouping, and group on a column (whatever column)
- select some (mulitple) rows
- collapse the group where the selected rows belongs
- expand the group again

... the selection(s) are lost.

This happens also in last version 13.1.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 13.0.0
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 3:45pm
I don't know about pre-historical versions but I just build 12.1 and
you can try it for this problem - same as in 13.0 and 13.1 - child selection lost -

MNovaro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNovaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 2:40am
Originally posted by mdoubson mdoubson wrote:

I don't know about pre-historical versions ....

Who is talking about pre-historical versions? I tested this with version 13.0, and yesterday I tested it with latest version 13.1 (downloaded from the forum).
In your test project, this is the same, and happens the same way I described.
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 4:38am
Hi Marco,

What Mark is trying to tell you that the bug has been there all the time and it seems he doesn't see that this is wrong behaviour...

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2

Zero replies is not an option....
MNovaro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNovaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 4:48am
Hi, Aaron

thanks for the explanation (didn't understand that way...).
Anyhow, it is a bug in my opinion, and it needs fixing: in case I have multiple selection active, I can do some selections in my report, and then just collapsing a group will lose the entire work I did....

The fact that this was already present in older versions doesn't mean it is a bug.

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 5:11am

Hi Marco,

Mark will reply something like: This is expected behaviour or this is implemented with Microsoft guidelines or some other cryptic reply.... So I think you have to do this yourself. 

So maybe you can create own SelectedRow collection (I didn't test if ReportControl's SelectedRow collection is really destroyed, maybe it still exists and is still useable) and create function to select the rows. Call this function after a row is expanded (RowExpanded event) and you will keep the rows selected all the time.

Good luck

MNovaro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNovaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 7:31am
Well, I'm actually already using a "special" version of the multiple selection, done using this approach:

http://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12832&KW=sticky

So, I do have a "private" collection keeping the selected rows, and this is updated each time the selection changes.
Anyhow, I saw that collapsing a group seems to "destroy" the selected rows, as the effect is that I loose all the selected rows belonging to the collapsed group...

So, I decided to test it with the "builtin" MultipleSelection property, and I noticed the same behaviour.
Thanks for your reply, again.
Marco
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 8:33am
Hi Marco,

I don't know if you have an active subscription? You could write to support and ask if this could be changed, you have my vote on this.

It's strange that SelectedRows collection is destroyed just because one row is expanded. If I look at the SkipGroupRowFocus property and user is still able to select the row even when SkipGroupRowFocus = True, this could be easily used for this too, when True I can't select a grouprow and SelectedRows collection don't have to be destroyed as well  (Mark???)

Thanks

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 11:25am
No - it clean - you need to keep your own collection and use your own logic
MNovaro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNovaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

Hi Marco,

I don't know if you have an active subscription? You could write to support and ask if this could be changed, you have my vote on this.

I did created a support request on this issue.
Acutally, it seems to me that the SelectedRows collection is not destroyed, but actually the rows belonging to the group that is collapsed are "removed" from the collection itself.
In fact, other selected rows (not "childs" of the collapsed group) are keeped (selected); only the "childs" are non-selected.

Thanks, Aaron.

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 1:06pm
Hi Marco,

So you are saying that only childs of collapsed rows will be removed from collection? That's strange... I don't see difference with expanded rows, you? Sometimes RC implementations aren't logical but I suppose it's me who isn't thinking logical

Well, good luck with your request !!!

MNovaro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNovaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 1:11pm
Hi, Aaron,

well, I'll have to double-check this better to give you a more detailed answer...
Thanks
Marco
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 1:15pm
This is that I said - "it clean" (selected Child records) - of course collapse-expand action not changed other records
MNovaro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNovaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 1:24pm

This is that I said - "it clean" (selected Child records) - of course collapse-expand action not changed other records

Well.. if collapsing-expanding a group does clean the selected child records (this is what you are saying, right?), how can I keep track of them in the application?
I should keep track that the row was selected, and since it belongs to the group that is collapsed (how?), it should remain in my personal collection of selected rows even if it is not...

I hope you'll agree that this is really difficult, and too much work for a feature that should be already present in the report itself.
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 1:44pm
It looks simple - On Collapse event you add indexes of childs in your collection - On Expand - you select from your collection and clean it
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 3:30pm

It looks simple - On Collapse event you add indexes of childs in your collection - On Expand - you select from your collection and clean it

Hi Mark,

1. Question: Does collapse row destroy SelectedRows collection? if yes: Why?
  2. Question: Does expand row destroy SelectedRows collection? if yes: Why?

Thanks

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 3:50pm
Collapse and Expand not destroy all SelectedRows. Collapse destroy Child rows in this collection
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 10:31pm
Demo with persist child selection here - https://forum.codejock.com/uploads/DemoVersion/ReportSampleStaticProto.rar

You can also use standard VB Report Sample to play with fresh OCX supported persist child selection
MNovaro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNovaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:50am
Well, this version seems working the way I expect. 
I'll make some test more, and I'll post feedbacks about this.
Thanks.

P.S. do you prefer continue with this issue in here on in the "IssueTrack"?

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2009 at 6:18pm
check next version - with deep level selection persist - (you can have few columns in group box)

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2009 at 6:19pm

You can close issue but I am expecting good (non-surface) testing feedback - if you like to keep it private - use issue

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic