URL: http://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23710
Printed Date: 26 April 2024 at 11:56pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: CXTPFrameShadow covers the whole application
Posted By: Fredrik
Subject: CXTPFrameShadow covers the whole application
Date Posted: 10 September 2018 at 11:34am
Hi, 

after upgrading to 18.5 I get a shadow over the whole application when it opens on another monitor than the primary (I save window position) and call EnableFrameTheme. I found that if I set m_hOwner to NULL as suggested in http://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23639 the problem disappears, but I see that in 18.5 m_hOwner is still passed to CWnd::CreateEx? 

Should m_hOwner be NULL in this case?

The shadow causes the whole application to be unresponsive and cannot be used... 

I haven't been able to reproduce it with the RibbonSample unfortunately.

-------------
Windows 10, Visual Studio 20157, Toolkit Pro 18.3.0

Replies:
Posted By: sbinder
Date Posted: 02 October 2018 at 2:44am
And only if FrameTheme is enalbed!

Date Posted: 05 October 2018 at 11:24am
Thanks  - yes I know, I was able to temporarily fix the problem by calling 

XTPFrameShadowManager()->SetFlags(xtpFrameShadowsDisabled);

(Or DisableShadow as you posted)

But then there will not be a shadow around the application which all other programs have. I still hope for a fix from CodeJock - it did work in 18.4.

-------------

Posted By: astoyan
Date Posted: 09 October 2018 at 10:18am
The bug has been fixed for the next update which is due in about a week or so. Please re-test with a new update once it's available and confirm it fixes it for you.

Regards,
   Alexander

Posted By: markr
Date Posted: 09 October 2018 at 8:13pm
> The bug has been fixed for the next update which is due in about a week or so

Can you share any information on why some applications are experiencing this and not others?

Many thanks!

- Mark R.

Posted By: astoyan
Date Posted: 10 October 2018 at 10:09am
It worked properly in 18.4 because it did not clip the overlapped portion of the shadow which lead to a number of performance related complains, so it's been fixed in 18.5, but the fix introduced a new issue and unfortunately it was not noticed during 18.5 build testing

It happens when DPI is above 96 (100%) for DPI unaware applications only. In fact it has turned out to be a bug in Microsoft's DwmGetWindowAttribute with DWMWA_EXTENDED_FRAME_BOUNDS flag, which does not virtualize DPI as it should, which all other SDK functions do properly. This lead to a workaround being added.

Regards

Posted By: markr
Date Posted: 10 October 2018 at 7:13pm
> It happens when DPI is above 96 (100%) for DPI unaware applications only.

Thanks for the clarification.

- Mark R.

Posted By: rdhd
Date Posted: 25 October 2018 at 9:27am
Is Microsoft aware of the problem in their API? If so, has it been addressed? I have build 1809 with a KB fix that addresses some issues when dragging windows. But I reopened the case because when running on a desktop with the main monitor scaled but not all other monitors, the rectangle displayed when mousing down (say on a MFC toolbar that is floating) is being scaled when it should not be.

I don't see this shadow covering the application (Office 2013 themes). But, I do see the issue on CXTPResizeDialog based classes that use a frame theme with a shadow. I turned the shadow off, but these themes result in single pixel borders making resizing nearly impossible, especially on 4k monitors.

Is there any fix that I can add to my 18.5 code base?

Date Posted: 25 October 2018 at 10:49am
astoyan,

What issues should I look for if I skip the call to get DWMWA_EXTENDED_FRAME_BOUNDS? I commented out that call and just the rcClicp obtained at the top of CXTPFrameShadow::GetClipRect after passing it to ScreenToClient. I have run on my 3 monitor system and so far I get the shadow and it doesn't cover up my application window regardless of which monitor I am on.

Date Posted: 25 October 2018 at 1:17pm
atyon,

So far it looks like the only real difference is a the size of the shadow - just a pixel or two bigger than when not making the call to the OS API.

Opinion? Alternatives?

Date Posted: 24 January 2019 at 12:04pm
... unfortunately - this doesn't seem to be completely solved in v 18.6. If I move my application from a center screen to a left screen (with negative coordinates) a shadow appears and covers about a third of the application. It disappears if I maximize the program, but is back again in restored state.

EDIT: It looks like it has something to do with how I align my screens. If I have them aligned at top I don't see this problem, but if the screens are aligned at bottom the problem appears. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net