Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Calendar
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Display of event shows semi-colon not parenthesis
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Display of event shows semi-colon not parenthesis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Display of event shows semi-colon not parenthesis
    Posted: 02 March 2008 at 9:21pm

The CalendarPro documentation says about the event "Location" property:

The event location is displayed in parentheses "(" and  ")" underneath the event subject

(Which is how Outlook does it also)

In my app, however, the location is displaying after the event subject separated by a semi-colon ";" not by parenthesis.  I can''t see why and would like to have it use a parenthesis.

I'm not customizing anything in the GetItemText method, so it must be somewhere else, but I can't find anything that would cause it to use the ";".

Anyone have any ideas what's going on and how to remedy it?

- Phil Seeman
wlcabral View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wlcabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 6:10am

I think it's because Office 2007 has ";" as separator.

To remove this separator remove the Office2007 Theme.
wlcabral
phils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2008 at 9:31am
Well, you appear to be correct - when I remove the Office 2007 theme, it uses the parenthesis.

Unfortunately that's not a solution for me because I need to have the Office 2007 theme!

I wonder if it's possible to customize that portion of the theme?  I looked in the documentation but couldn't see a way to do that.

It's really mystifying to me why they changed that and use the ; in the Office 2007 theme, since Outlook 2007 still uses the ( ) for the Location.  Very strange!

- Phil Seeman
wlcabral View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wlcabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2008 at 10:19am
Make sense if you look grammatically :)

In English, the semicolon has two main purposes:

1. It binds two sentences more closely than they would be if separated by a full stop/period. It often replaces a conjunction such as and or but. Writers might consider this appropriate where they are trying to indicate a close relationship between two sentences, or a 'run-on' in meaning from one to the next; they might not want the connection to be broken by the abrupt use of a full stop.
  2. It is used as a stronger division than a comma to make meaning clear in a sentence where commas are being used for other purposes. A common example of this use is to separate the items of a list when some of the items themselves contain commas.

There are several cases where semicolons may be used:

1. Use a semicolon between closely related independent clauses not joined by a coordinating conjunction: "I went to the pool; I was informed that it was closed due to scheduled maintenance."
  2. Use a semicolon between independent clauses linked with a transitional phrase or conjunctive adverb: "I like to eat cows; they don't, however, like to be eaten by me."
  3. Use a semicolon between items in a series containing internal punctuation: "There are several Waffle Houses in Atlanta, Georgia; Greenville, South Carolina; Gainesville, Florida; and Mobile, Alabama."
  4. A semicolon can be used to separate independent clauses that are joined by coordinating conjunctions when the clauses have internal commas that might lead to misreading: "After the game, I won a red beanie baby, four edible ingots, and a certificate of excellence; but when the storm came, I lost it all in a torrent of sleet, snow, and profanity."

Semicolons are always followed by a lower case letter, unless that letter begins a proper noun. Semicolons have no spaces before, but one space after when used in a document.

[edit] Examples

1. I am not alone; my wife came back to me.
  2. I traveled to Cambridge, England; Tijuana, Mexico; and Paris, France.
Lisa scored 2,845,770 points; Marcia, 2,312,860; and Sam, 1,726,640
wlcabral
phils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2008 at 10:34am
Umm, I don't need an English lesson - I just need the Calendar Control to work like Outlook which is basically its whole reason for existing!
- Phil Seeman
wlcabral View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wlcabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2008 at 1:42pm
It's not a english lesson (even because I living in Brazil  )   I Think that's is why Microsoft changes the parentheses for Semicolon in Outlook 2007.

Did you notice that Microsoft are using Semicolon insted parentheses in Outolook 2007 ?

wlcabral
phils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2008 at 6:01pm
Ah-ha, it turns out it depends where you look!

You're correct, in Outlook 2007 the actual text uses a semicolon as the delimiter.

But the tooltip uses parentheses!

The good news is that I believe I can customize the tooltip to include the parens.

So thanks for helping to sort it out!

- Phil Seeman
mkhadem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkhadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2008 at 5:14pm
Hi,

Is it possible to use some of my custom parameters instead of "Location" to be shown in the calendar?

Thanks
Mo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic