Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Automatically linking..." and build performance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Automatically linking..." and build performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aznodak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Automatically linking..." and build performance
    Posted: 26 February 2007 at 4:15pm
It appears that every file that has a extreme toolkit include statement generates a "Automatically linking..." message during compilation. A single file may generate multiple "Automatically linking..." messages depending on how many of my gui components are based on extreme toolkit components (one file including references to other project includes files that themselves have extreme toolkit include statements).

Most, if not all, of my include files have the #pragma once statement at the top of the file.
Two questions:
1) Is there a way to disable the "Automatically linking..." message generation during compilation time?
2) Much more important: Compilation time for a file using an extreme toolkit component increases noticeably. Any recommendations on improving build performance? (The "Automatically linking..." message is a sure indicator that the compile will go slower).

Development environment:
Extreme Toolkit Pro 10.2 under .NET 2003 C++.

Thanks,
Greg

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2007 at 12:55am
Hi,
You have include XTToolkitPro.h only in stdafx.h and not in another files.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
aznodak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aznodak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2007 at 6:04am
Master Oleg,

I am assuming you meant that I should place the XTToolkitPro.h in stdafx.h only, is that correct?

- Greg
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2007 at 7:48am
Hi,

Yes, right.
Oleg, Support Team
akur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 8:16am
Although I use #include <XTToolkitPro.h> _only_ in stadfx.h as told here, I have multiple messages about "Automatically linking with XTP..."!

This is because each GUI DLL has to have XTP included in its stdafx.h and when I include one of my own header files in another header file (between modules), then I get multiple messages about linking with XTP.

Can this be avoided somehow? Maybe you could add a simple #pragma once into XTToolkitPro.h in some next release?

Thank you, in advance!

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 8:42am
Hello,

it can 't be change in XTToolkitPro.h it have to be fixed in your project. I sure you have some file with include XTToolkitPro.h  and you add it to each your CPP file.

Also check settings of your stdafx.cpp file - it have to be "Create precompile header".

add in your stdafx.h
#pragma message("TEST")

if you will see it more than once you have problem with your settings.
Oleg, Support Team
akur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 9:12am
I assume I would see your #pragma message("TEST") many times, since we don't use Precompiled Headers and each source file includes stdafx.h.

Do you mean XTP users are obliged to use PCH if they don't want to have one "Automatically linking..." message per source file during compilation?

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 9:19am
Hello,
You need use Precompiled Headers , it will compille your application faster in times. Now all file parse all toolkit sources.
You can add _XTPLIB_NOAUTOLINK before include toolkit - it will remove message, but will not add speed for compilation. Only Precompiled Headers  can help you.
Oleg, Support Team
Sergio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sergio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 5:09am
Hello,

We have currently the same problem.

All the files use "Create Precompiled Headers" and our StdAfx.h file uses '#pragma once'.

Please help.
Regards,
Sergio
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 5:31am
Do you have multiple projects in your solution which include XTToolkitPro.h ?

Codejock support
Sergio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sergio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:02am
Yes :

One DLL using XTToolKitPro
--- Another one using the previous DLL and also XTToolKitPro
------- Application using the two DLLs.

It seems to be linked with managed code (CLR).
Sergio
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Sergio Sergio wrote:

Yes :

One DLL using XTToolKitPro
--- Another one using the previous DLL and also XTToolKitPro
------- Application using the two DLLs.

It seems to be linked with managed code (CLR).

You might want to try to include header files of "DLL one" only in StdAfx.h of "DLL two" and so on.

Codejock support
Sergio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sergio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 8:31am
Yes, that's what we did.

The managed code (CLI/CLR) seems to be responsible, because when compiling in Debug mode, only the managed files produce the "Automatically linking ..." problem. When compiling in Release mode, the managed files are compiled at first and then all files produce the problem.

Please note that it occurs in the second DLL project, not in the final application.
Sergio
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic