Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Calendar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outlook 2007 discrepancies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCrenshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outlook 2007 discrepancies
    Posted: 17 February 2007 at 7:58pm

OK, so maybe I'm just too picky or something but when I have my calendar side by side with the calendar in Outlook 2007 it just doesn't look the same at all. Part of this is because Outlook 2007 did some wildly crazy things with categories and stuff until it only barely supports the old 2003 method of thinking, around which the whole calendar control is based.

I have a long list so I'll list everything, then comment after. I don't expect everything, but it would be good to know when we could expect a more complete imitation.
  1. The Outlook 2007 Calendar has a scrollbar for the all day region, and a separate one for the rest of the calendar
  2. The Outlook calendar has date range, navigation buttons, and search stuff at the top. While I wouldn't necessarily expect this to be implemented, especially not the search, the last time I tried to add controls above the current view, I got a funny red region I couldn't do a thing with.
  3. The Outlook Calendar also has that great region at the bottom with a list of tasks due that day. Separate scrollbar AND gripper for this region.
  4. Starting into drawing differences, the colored border for the current day has a line that separates the all day events from the events for the day. The line also shows at the bottom of the time area, before the gripper for the tasks region, and continues down the sides and along the bottom of the task region.
  5. The drop shadow behind appointments is missing from the Codejock control.
  6. The line separating the all day events from the day, and separating one day from another, is bolder on the Outlook control. I personally like the lighter look in the Codejock version but I mention it for completeness.
  7. The fonts are the same. Letters are almost identical but the numbers make it obvious. The font used in Outlook is slightly wider and thinner, and is anti-aliased. Close match, darn close, but not quite. Any chance of loading the font Outlook is using from wherever they have it and using the current one if the other can't be found?
  8. Outlook adds little up and down arrow watermarks when there is an additional appointment outside the visible area of the day.
  9. There are similar next and previous tab thingies when no appointments exist on any visible day.
  10. This cool little click to add appointment watermark thingie comes up when you hover over a cell for about a second. Pretty, but mostly useless. Again, to be complete.
  11. Categories. Earlier versions of outlook colored using the label field. Now categories are used, and if you have several categories that have colors defined, you get boxes for each extra category.

Of the items above, the only ones that I care a lot about are the navigation buttons and the categories. The Categories amazingly still manage to behave a little bit in the Codejock calendar since I do sort of get the color for the task from the label field which is apparently still being maintained. The color is off however and looks especially wrong when additional categories exist.

All said and done this is an amazingly good little control with TONS of power. This post is NOT a complaint, just a feeler to see what kind of time frame I am looking at before my product will look 100% like it belongs next to Outlook.
sserge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sserge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2007 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by JohnCrenshaw JohnCrenshaw wrote:

1. The Outlook 2007 Calendar has a scrollbar for the all day region, and a separate one for the rest of the calendar

We do already have plans to add this feature.

• The Outlook calendar has date range, navigation buttons, and search stuff at the top. While I wouldn't necessarily expect this to be implemented, especially not the search, the last time I tried to add controls above the current view, I got a funny red region I couldn't do a thing with.

• As I can see using a Spy tool - this navigating and search panel is a separate window. I think it is a separate linked control like our DatePicker.
    It could be easily created in any way as you wish.
    If we will create such scontrol I expect many customization requests (one will need some spesial search, others will need something else).
    However, we'll plan to create such a sample panel in in order to have a convenient example.

• The Outlook Calendar also has that great region at the bottom with a list of tasks due that day. Separate scrollbar AND gripper for this region.

• This also looks like a separate linked control.
    For now we do not have plans to add it.

• Starting into drawing differences, the colored border for the current day has a line that separates the all day events from the events for the day. The line also shows at the bottom of the time area, before the gripper for the tasks region, and continues down the sides and along the bottom of the task region.

• Will be fixed in nearest versions.

• The drop shadow behind appointments is missing from the Codejock control.

• The line separating the all day events from the day, and separating one day from another, is bolder on the Outlook control. I personally like the lighter look in the Codejock version but I mention it for completeness.

• The fonts are the same. Letters are almost identical but the numbers make it obvious. The font used in Outlook is slightly wider and thinner, and is anti-aliased. Close match, darn close, but not quite. Any chance of loading the font Outlook is using from wherever they have it and using the current one if the other can't be found?

• Will try to fix as well.

Also, a general note about drawing -- we started creating Office 2007 theme Using Office 2007 beta 1, beta 2, .. and there were some differences in small details like lines and so on.
    Not everything was changed to a latest version, but step by step we will fix this, certainly in cases when our customers ask about this.

• Outlook adds little up and down arrow watermarks when there is an additional appointment outside the visible area of the day.

• Already FIXED. Will be available in next release. (as well as hot headers support)

• There are similar next and previous tab thingies when no appointments exist on any visible day.
  • This cool little click to add appointment watermark thingie comes up when you hover over a cell for about a second. Pretty, but mostly useless. Again, to be complete.

• For now it is not decided to implement this elements.

• Categories. Earlier versions of outlook colored using the label field. Now categories are used, and if you have several categories that have colors defined, you get boxes for each extra category.

• Will be supported.

--
    WBR,
    Serge
    JohnCrenshaw View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCrenshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2007 at 5:16pm
    Thanks for the point by point response. Every time I post on this forum, I inevitably end up feeling very pampered a few days later. Keep up the great work.
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic