Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Calendar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Updating recurrence patterns & DB performance.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zotteLORRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Updating recurrence patterns & DB performance.
    Posted: 29 January 2007 at 5:07am
Hi,

I've got my CalendarControl app with custom event handlers (for MySQL)  up-and-running for some time now .

In the beginning (when there was little data to exchange between database and app) performance was smooth.

After a while, CalendarControl.DoReadRPattern event slowed the app down, because of lots of recurrence patterns to retrieve from DB. But problem was resolved implementing caching for the DoReadRPattern event.

But still, when updating a recurrence pattern exception will cause a lot of overhead.

Apparently after the main recurrence pattern gets updated, all of the related events / recurrence exceptions will be forced to be updated (in my case, it will generate about 60 UPDATE queries ).

Is this the normal behaviour? I'm trying to figure out how to update only the event / recurrence exception which got modified instead of all of the related events.

If somebody's got any tips, workarounds, ...

Thanks in advance!
sserge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sserge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 1:15pm
Regarding your first note about DoReadRPattern...
This was fixed in version 10.4. - using Internal cache added.

Regarding a second problem about update exceptions...
This is an expected behaviour. Recurrence pattern update works as a full update.
I think we can optimize simething on this in DataProvider later.

As a workaround you can use BeforeEditOperation notification to remember currently editing event.
In DoUpdateEvent check whether a currently editing event is a recurrence exception, and skip other exceptions updates.

--
WBR,
Serge
zotteLORRE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zotteLORRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 1:33pm
Thank you very much! With this final, little issue resolved, I've managed to complete my project for 99% now.

As a junior developer, I can say that implementing the calendarcontrol was really fun, and that Codejock support is very good.

It's a real quality component, and worth the buy!

Greets.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic