Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Office 2007 UI licensing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Office 2007 UI licensing
    Posted: 22 November 2006 at 6:27am
You do need to get a license from Microsoft to use the Office UI even if the component vendor already has a license to distribute the components to you.  The component vendors cannot pass through the rights to you and we need to be able to distinguish licensed software from unlicensed software without placing a monitoring burden on the component vendors.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/nov06/11-21officeui.mspx

Also Codejock is not listed under the Office UI Licensing Partners?

Codejock support
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 11:51am
You might want to add that to your license agreement for 10.4:

In addition, component vendors are required to include a statement in their license agreements with their customers directing the customers to http://msdn.microsoft.com/officeui to obtain their own license if they wish to create products with the UI. 

Codejock support
Simon HB9DRV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon HB9DRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by ABuenger ABuenger wrote:

You do need to get a license from Microsoft to use the Office UI even if the component vendor already has a license to distribute the components to you.  The component vendors cannot pass through the rights to you and we need to be able to distinguish licensed software from unlicensed software without placing a monitoring burden on the component vendors.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/nov06/11-21officeui.mspx

Also Codejock is not listed under the Office UI Licensing Partners?

I think this is very fair of Microsoft, they have obviously invested a great deal of money and time in their UI.
Simon HB9DRV
robosport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robosport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 2:39pm
I agree this is a refreshing approach from MS... Don't compete with our Office apps and you are welcome to use our UI technology IP.
Warren View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 12:58pm
I don't intend to implement the "ribbon" UI, but for anyone who intends to signs up for the license, how much effort will it take you to comply with a 120 page specification, with sections like:

"The layout of controls on the Ribbon MUST change in real-time when the application window is resized by dragging with the mouse. The change in the layout of controls on the Ribbon MUST NOT be delayed until after the application window has been resized and the left mouse button is released."

FYI - there is more to read on the subject here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/11/21/licensing-the-2007-microsoft-office-user-interface.aspx

My impression is that, for the most part, MS just wants to prevent the other office suites (OpenOffice, etc) from having the same UI as MS Office. I would expect that if you're working on an in-house application or are a small ISV this won't be a problem one way or the other (IANAL - so do not take this as legal advice).
kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2007 at 12:44pm

Hello,

As a follow-up to this post, Codejock Software has become a Microsoft Office 2007 UI Licensing Partner.  In addition to this, all of our Office 2007 UI components are 100% compliant with the new Office 2007 User Interface Design Guidelines and have been developed according to Microsoft specifications.

Hope this helps...

Kind regards,

Kirk Stowell

Tomasz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomasz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2007 at 6:46pm
In my humble opinion the entire concept of licensing Ribbon UI is completely sick.

Ribbon is basically tabbed toolbar - the concept which MS has stolen (or should I have said "borrowed") from Macromedia Dreamweaver. It has tabbed toolbar for ages.  It was also present in 3D Max rendering software. Identical concepts were floating (with code samples) on CodeGuru years ago (back in 2002 !)

How MS can claim any copyright on this it is beyond my understanding.
Did MS ask Macromedia for any permission to use their UI concepts ?

FWIW, I decided NOT to use Ribbon UI in my apps at all since by accepting the license you are simply accepting MS claims to have rights to this NON-innovation.

Sorry for going slightly off-topic.
JohnCrenshaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCrenshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 12:51pm
This could potentially become borderline monopoly abuse (like MS has never done THAT before.) MS is pushing for this new UI style to become a standard for Windows based programs, but to use it, you are not allowed to produce a product that is functionally similar to any of the MS office products. In other words, if the Ribbon catches on like they obviously hope it will, anybody "competing" with any core office product will be left behind in the dark ages.

As a side note, I looked through the preliminary spec and in really only taked about the ribbon UI. I can't get the full spec without agreeing to the licensing terms, which I am iffy on. Does this agreement ONLY cover the ribbon UI or does it cover other aspects of the 2007 family of "productivity" solutions?
kmacdona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacdona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 3:25pm
Where can I get a clear list of controls/themes/skins etc. that are part of CodeJock Xtreme ToolkitPro (for MFC) that are "licensed" from Microsoft?

This is a critical issue for me since our product competes with MS Office (hence I cannot license the Office UI).  I absolutely need to know which parts of CodeJock to avoid using.

Thanks,
Keith
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2007 at 1:55am
Hi,
Think only Ribbon.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic