Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please fix the search page

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please fix the search page
    Posted: 19 July 2006 at 2:28pm
It is highly annoying to attempt to do a search, and every single time - get the "non secure item" popup in my face.

Yes, I can just disable that, but being someone that needs to know if that happens in a page I create - I prefer to leave it on.

Your problem is https://forum.codejock.com/includes/progress_bar.asp - not sure if you have it in the flash itself, or if its the links to macromedia its picking up (i have never have put flash in a secure page before, so no clue if it would pick up the codebase links)

Also, why on earth would you have a search time delay?  I can understand on forums that are huge - but honestly, search is not going to use up many resources for you folks, and if I for whatever "bad" reason had to do searches bam bam bam - with the size of this forum, and the limit - I would just spider the entire forum in less than a minute.

(Verification of an email address sucks also - again, for communites, cool, for commericial sites, where people are not going to register just to harass  like they would a community site,  its a waste of a potential customers time)

... while I am on a roll :)

Making it so you have to choose what type of credit card, on a page before you put in the credit card is extremely dumb.  I happened to miss that drop down, it was stuck at AMEX, and it took me attempting 5 different credit cards, and over half an hour to realize that you actually had to tell it what you were using - on a different page.

When I put in a card, and its stuck on its default of American Express - hey - it knows its not an American Express card - wow.

How hard do you think it would really be to run that same exact test, on Visa, and Mastercard - and not ask the customer what kind of card it is, but find out for them, and save them the hassle of missing something on a previous page, that obviously, after the missed it, they have no clue they missed it.

(end rant now)
kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 10:55am
Hi Zach,

Thanks for bringing all this to our attention, to address your questions:

Quote It is highly annoying to attempt to do a search, and every single time - get the "non secure item" popup in my face.

This was indeed a problem with the progress bar referencing links to macromedia on a secure page, and we have since corrected the problem, thank you.

Quote Also, why on earth would you have a search time delay?

Three is a small delay while database records are searched. It is common practice to display a progress indicator, hour glass or some visual que informing the user of a time consuming operation.

Quote Verification of an email address sucks also...

Unfortunately due to the nature of the internet today, and the out of control problem with SPAM and site spiders, it is necessary to have a confirmation email to ensure a live person has requested membership, this is also a very common practice.

Quote Making it so you have to choose what type of credit card, on a page before you put in the credit card is extremely dumb

I agree that some things with the online store can be improved upon, however selecting a card type is not un-common. 

We appreciate your feedback, and I will pass your comments along.

Regards,
Kirk Stowell

Zach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 1:12am

I didnt express myself very well on the credit card thing.

As you have it now, you already have a bit of js figuring out if the customer put in the correct credit card. 

Thats obviously just simple pattern matching - and you can find similiar scripts on any javascript site. 

My point was that you already are using such a script - but only using it as a check against the specific selected card on the previous page.  I didnt look at the script, but it would not suprise me if the code to check all the different cards is sitting right next to the one that kicked back and said you need to put in an AMEX number.

Its very trivial to remove the card selection on the previous page - and then run through the four or five different types you accept - determine which kind of card it is - and then auto make credit card selection for them - in fact - every credit card processor I have ever used actually does that on their end.

Why reject a visa card just because the person didnt notice the selection drop down on the previous page?  At this point its honestly not a big deal to me - but, it should be to you guys.  Every time you send up an error message, especially without specific instructions on how to correct it as was the case here - you are going to lose a percentage of people that had already decided to buy - had already clicked submit to make the purchase - and just got frustrated and said I will get it later or forget it - and never come back.

You could track that also :) - but I would suggest fixing it so that you would not lose customers that might just choose to not buy after they could not figure out how to get it to take their card.

Its probably rare that you lose one - and as I do not know your sales, I could not venture a guess - but if it was just 1 500 dollar sale a month - thats 6,000 a year.  If it was 1 a week - thats 26,000 bucks down the drain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic