Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Suite Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Workspace Tabs Still Flicker MDI v9.7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hologram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Workspace Tabs Still Flicker MDI v9.7
    Posted: 30 June 2005 at 5:34pm

Hi. Thanks for 9.7. Nice work.

I am a little disappointed that the Workspace Tab flicker that occurs when moving between 2 or more mdi child forms, and does not appear to be fixed in 9.7.  Do you know when this will be fixed?

To be honest, this one problem makes my application look like it's struggling to manage the user's opened windows... the flicker is one of those extra important quirks that really hurts the presentation value of having the workspace in my application. It looks to my users as though like I opted for 'fancy' controls over solid coding. 

Is any relief in sight for this to be addressed? It really will make the workspace more valuable.

Thanks very much. Anyone else who would like to see this fixed.. I hope you can help address by adding your comments. 

Edited by hologram
Jason
daliaessam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daliaessam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 10:26am
Yes same here, My application is MDI and this is noticable by users and even on my 2.6 GHz CPU.
MarcelN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcelN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 6:19am
We have the same problem. I hoped the flickering would be solved with v9.70, but it wasn't... 2 of my requests made it into this version though :)

Still, the flickering is terrible....
Bert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 7:43am

Same problem here.

Might be related to a problem of redrawing after another event occurs.
When doing something a little more time consuming in a mouse down event the application seems to stall a while before resuming and painting into a UserControl.

There appears to be a relation between the quantity of time spent in the handling of the event, and the time passing after the handling and before the redrawing.

The bear necessities of live
gshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:00pm

Same problem here :)

I'm only using Listview and treeview controls in docking panes

Great Escape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Great Escape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 3:33am

Same annoying problem. Looks like MDI area is moved to 0, 0 in container app and then moved back to the correct position.

MarcelN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcelN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 3:37am

We use the CommandBars and DockingPanes in our .NET 2.0 application. The TabWorkspace and StatusBar controls are enabled also.

The entire application used to flicker whenever it was resized. We solved this by overriding the "OnLayout" method of the Form. The flickering is reduced to some MdiForm contents, instead of the entire application this way.

Great Escape was right, the MDI area is moved to 0,0, after which CodeJock decides it's not supposed to be positioned there and moves it back to the right position.

By overriding the Form.OnLayout method, and not calling the base.OnLayout, .NET doesn't move the MDI area to 0,0 anymore, which means less flickering for all of us

castleJoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 2:08pm
Do you use an ActiveX suite with similar theme support or mived to .net?

Thx
MarcelN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcelN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 11:57pm
We use "Xtreme Suite Pro ActiveX"...
Milkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 11:38pm
I'm having this problem too.  It's quite annoying to say the least.  Judging by the lack of feedback on this forum, I can tell that it's not too high a priority on CodeJocks list to fix.
hologram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hologram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 2:59am

Here's why this is unbeliveably annoying. You decide you're going to have a nice tabbed workspace in your MDI app and min/max buttons available on child forms. Like Dreamweaver or Flash.

Then, you realize, that the workspace looks like crap when switching between child forms that aren't maxed. So, the only way to actually use the workspace AND have it look good, is not to have any options to resize forms... and simply a tabbed workspace.. which takes the shine off where your ideas were headed.

So, you explain to the company that you need this addressed, the flicker looks like a bug (it IS a bug/design flaw). You pay the company to stay subscribed to their updates, all in the hope it makes it to the next fix. Meantime, you short change the design of your app, becuase there's little other choice. Then, you post, politley, the problem, like my first post at the start of this thread. And the company (CodeJock) never replies. You know from the documentation that the forum is your only hope for getting the help you need. And they ignore you.

Net result, you learn that a great looking GUI tool is worthless without support to address important issues in some sort of time frame. We're not asking for a feature request, we're asking for something that NEEDS fixed to be fixed.

Why doesn't codejock include resizable child forms in a tabbed workspace in their examples, so you can see that it's going to look like crap ahead of time?

So, what keeps me going? Well, if they handle problems this way, they're leaving room for someone else to do better, inviting them even... and someone eventually will. Here you are, the 10th poster in this thread, and not a peep from CodeJock to address the issue except some crap work around that requires lowering YOUR OWN standards to fix the issue.. and insult to injury, the work around (oversizing forms) is even worse because now non-maximzed forms aren't user friendly. And that makes you wonder... what are you really dealing with here? Simple Incompetence? Software Crooks? Business Morons? and does it matter which it is?

Thanks CodeJock... nice way to treat your customers. 

Jason
Milkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 8:51pm
I agree with hologram.   It's not so much that there is a problem; but, rather that Codejock ignores that fact.  I would be happy if the problem were fixed today; but, I would be satisfied if the company would acknowledge the problem and give us a (real) ETA on when it will be fixed.  Or if it's going to be fixed.

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2005 at 2:54am

Hello all.

there was fix in this area in 9.80, can you check how it looks now?

Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2005 at 9:58am
I´ve just tested with v9.80 !
It still flickers horrible !
lionello View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lionello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2005 at 10:55am
It still flickers!!!!!!
hologram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hologram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2005 at 1:11pm

Flicker is still there.. my application looks like garbage using your workspace tabs.

Jason
Ramon Guerrero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramon Guerrero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 9:44pm
I've uploaded a hack that significantly reduces the flicker.

Run the code, click the workspace tabs, notice how it flickers, close one of the MDI child forms by clicking the x close button, notice how you see all the forms, then the focus form maximizes.

Now, click the "Handle MDI Child Closing" and "Handle WM_MDIACTIVATE" toolbar buttons.

Now, switch forms by clicking the tabs.  Now close a form via the x.  No flickering..

See all code enclosed with 'STOP FLICKER CODE.

Hope it helps.

Ramon
2005-10-11_214243_CodeJockMdiFlicker.zip
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 2:17am

Hi

hologram, lionello, tobi do you see flickers on tab click/new tab or only on closing tab?

Ramon, thank you for sharing. in 9.80 we also handled WM_MDIACTIVATE to prevent flickers on changing tabs...

Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 2:32am

It seems that flickering only appears when a new tab/doc is created...
Changing and closing tabs looks ok in my app.
Hope that helps

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic