Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Converting an existing app to Ribbon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting an existing app to Ribbon
    Posted: 27 January 2015 at 3:09am
Hi,

I would like to get some advice or direction as to the best way to convert an existing application to a ribbon.

The application is quite large, it has a couple 1000 menu items, and over 300 toolbar icons (loaded from .ico files into XTPImageManger using appropriate menu IDs).

During the transition stage I would also like to provide the option to switch from Ribbon to menu/toolbar GUI. As such all the menu ID, icons, tooltips exist and would ideally be shared and synced.

I know the process to come with a good ribboninterface to replace existing menu and toolbar will take some time of review and adjustment - but I would like to start with a ribbon that follows the structure of the menu.

Is there an easy way to "import" and existing menu resource into a ribbon? (I would really like to avoid having to create it by hand if at all possible.)

What is the best way to store the ribbon to ensure flexibility and access to all features and styles? in the MFC style resource? or via the code definition? (it seems from the samples that the ribbon resource is locked to the older style ribbon)

Thanks,
Scott
Alex H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 10:47am
I would not recommend that.
The change to ribbon gives you the opportunity to rethink the complete menu structure and usage.
You will have to decide which menu items are important and should be displayed as a large Icon and others perhaps in a popup menu :-)

Hope that helps.

PS: We also have an application where you can switch between ribbon and classic menu/toolbars.

Willowmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willowmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 2:43pm
If I remember correctly Menu and Ribbon can use Actions. That might make it easier. I also would no recommend to convert the menustructure into a Ribbon. Maybe you can start placing the most used functions logically in the Ribbon and offer to switch back to the menu for the more advanced functions.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.3.1

Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 3 (on VMWare)

Language: Visual Basic 6.0

scottp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 2:34am
thanks for the suggestions. The end goal is, of course, to have a completely rethought layout of controls on the ribbon, but we need to start the process somewhere and the existing menu structure (which would quite neatly represent the ribbon tabs anyway) is as good as any starting place. The nature of our application does not really lend itself to hiding "advanced" tools, so all tools would need to be represented on the ribbon in some way. 

I am just wondering how best to setup the ribbon to ensure there is an easy way to keep the ribbon contents and the menu/toolbars in sync. The examples show 3 methods: dynamic creation in code, creation via MFC ribbon resource, and creation via XTP layout XML serialization.

Do all of these methods provide access to all Ribbon features in XTP? or are some limited?
Would any of these methods provide better or worse flexibility and synchronization with a menu/toolbar setup?

p.s. Using Toolkit Pro 16.4.0
Windows 8.1
Visual Studio 2013
C++
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic