Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s the best way to do a update?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffcmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s the best way to do a update?
    Posted: 07 April 2005 at 11:44pm

Hi,

I found a problem using the toolkit. For example, I have version1 of an app that has a toolbar with buttons, in version 2, I added some custom controls to toolbar. It works well for people who did not used version1. But for people used version1, the new controls will not appear.

I think it's because the LoadCommandBars(...) reads the old settings in registry. Users with version1 has to goto customize dialog and 'reset' settings to see the new controls.

What's the best way to do a version update, so the users using version1 could keep their settings and be able to see new controls ?

Thanks in advance

Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 12:57am

The toolkit asks the user once if he wants to reset the toolbar(s) and lose his customization or if he wants to keep his changed toolbars.

Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 1:04am
I would just force toolbar updates upon reinstall. I would keep a registry entry under HKCU with your apps current version.  Read that on app-startup and if its less then the apps own version, delete the customization related registry keys, then write the apps current version over that same key each time, so that the registry key deletes only happen at upgrades.

Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 11:35am
Be careful with updating without prompt. Let the user take one's choice if you want to have happy customers.
Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 11:44am

There are other things that are not prompted for though (keyboard shortcuts, docking pane layouts) and some things you can change on the toolbars that will not cause the prompt to show up.  Most users won't know how to go into customize and reset each of the toolbars if they miss the one-time prompt, but most users can accept that upgrading from version X to version X+1 will reset their toolbars in the name of adding new features to them.
A happy user is a user who upgraded for feature Y and immediately sees the new button which he has just paid for, and an unhappy user is one who missed the prompt and can't find the button for the feature he just paid for and has to angrily email support to find out why he was just ripped off.

Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 4:10pm

Ark, I had some users who angrily emailed me why on every update their customizations were lost and why they have to customize the menu again and again. I usually don't customize my menus and toolbars but there are (many) users who do this. So every user can decide if he wants the new menu or if he wants to work with his customized version.

For keyboard shortcuts I use a special system. If the user didn't customize his shortcuts, the new version automatically updates the shortcuts to default. If one shortcut has been customized, the user doesn't lose his customized shortcuts.

Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 5:21pm

It could depend on your product, but my users are generally not very technical, and I know we would get much more complaints by not forcing the toolbar reset on upgrade.

jeffcmj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffcmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 7:13pm
I think either way are not acceptable. Can the toolkit be made to load previous buttons(states) and just leave the new buttons at it's initial position?
larryp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 12:09pm
I am a couple weeks away from delivering my first release using CodeJock.  Since it will by my first release I won't have to worry about the upgrade issue yet.  Although, by the next release I need to figure out a good way to do this, because I know my users are not going to like losing their customizations everytime they upgrade, but they will want the new stuff.

Most of my users will create new menus and toolbars but will not change the ones I supply.  So would it be best to skip the prompt, but recursively loop through the toolbars and menus and reset them?
Yanik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2006 at 6:00am
larryp - Just wondered did you come up with a good solution to the upgrade issue?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic