Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Support for Visual Studio 6?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support for Visual Studio 6?
    Posted: 15 December 2011 at 10:04am
Hello-
  I've a legacy C++ project that could use a UI refresh, but unfortunately it has to remain in Visual Studio 6. I downloaded ToolkitProEval.MFC.v15.2.1 because it states support for Visual Studio 6, but I cannot install it in Windows XP.  I can install ToolkitProEval.MFC.v15.2.1 in Windows 7, but that doesn't work for me because I cannot install Visual Studio 6 in Windows 7.

When trying to install it in Windows XP,  the installation program gets ready to install, but it suddenly beeps and dies when it gets to the point of downloading stuff. I tried not downloading the help files, but the installation still terminates at the same spot. I thought that perhaps I could not install ToolkitProEval.MFC.v15.2.1 in a virtual, so I even found an old XP machine and tried installing in it there, but got no joy.

So is it impossible to install ToolkitProEval.MFC.v15.2.1 in Windows XP? Are there earlier versions that might install in XP?

Thanks
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2011 at 10:51am
It supports Windows XP, we tested the installation on Windows XP prior to each release.   Maybe you have a firewall blocking the installer from contacting the internet.

BTW, VS6 installs and works fine on Windows 7, I use it every day.
Willowmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willowmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2011 at 10:55am
It gives some warnings and stuff, but it is possible to install it. Always use the run as administrator menu option and maybe you have to set the compatibility options.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.3.1

Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 3 (on VMWare)

Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Timoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2011 at 11:14am
Quote " Maybe you have a firewall blocking the installer from contacting the internet."

Thanks! It sounds like the probable cause of my problem. I'll check this out

Quote "BTW, VS6 installs and works fine on Windows 7, I use it every day."

You're saying you can instal the Visual C++ portion of VS6 in Windows 7? I'll google this to see how to get around the problems I had. Is there a trick that you can tell me about?

Timoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2011 at 11:21am
Before others answer...here is some advice I found:
I installed Visual Studio 6 Professional on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and it is working perfectly.

There are several things to remember:

1) don't use the installation wizard. use the "setup.exe" and right click it and run it as administrator to start the installation.

2) the service packs are cumulative & that means the latest service pack has all the fixes of the previous ones combined. sp4, sp5 wouldn't install because of the "mdac 2.5 thingy" but sp6 went on without a problem. remember to use the right click context menu and run the sp6 service pack installer.exe as an administrator for the installation or it won't work.

3) once the program is installed go into the installed Visual Studio 6 folders in the root (C:\) directory & migrate shortcuts to the visual basic 6.exe, visual c++.exe, visual studio 6.exe, etc. to your desktop and use the right click and "run as an administrator" methodology on the shortcuts  to start whatever Visual Studio 6 domain you wish to work with.

4) in short run all installer.exes and startup.exes as an administrator using the right click context menu or Windows 7 will block these programs from accessing the Windows 7 registry.

5) running programs in Windows 7 is all about permissions & some programs like Visual Studio 6 Professional need to be installed and run as system administrators.

SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2011 at 11:30am
Yes, try that advise and if you still have problems post them here.
adrien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2011 at 3:57pm
we use VS6 as well.  Just need to set it to always run as administrator or it can't do what it needs, which then gives you a UAC prompt whenever you open it, but it works.

other main problem is if you terminate debugged app in debugger when it's on a breakpoint or exception, you need to close MSDev to get the debugged app to exit before you can recompile it.

apart from these 2 minor pains, it works great on win7
tomay3000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomay3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2011 at 7:39pm
Windows XP Profissional is Professional (for work). It should accept anything.
I always used windows XP & never got a problem!
Most of the companies uses Windows XP Professional & Windows 2000 Professional.
Product: Codejock ToolkitPro MFC v16.2.0
Platform: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (64-bit)

Language: Microsoft Visual C++ v6.0 (MFC)
Timoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2011 at 9:35am
Sadly, I still cannot install ToolkitProEval.MFC.v15.2.1 in Windows XP even after completely turning off my firewall. It just beeps at me and then exits after the ready to install screen (the one that summarizes what and where you're installing the package). The install doesn't get to the point where it even creates the requested directory and  I cannot find a log file explaining the problem (where should I be looking) ... the install just exits.

Any ideas what I should try next?

grahamf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahamf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2011 at 4:51pm
I had a similar issue, except on Windows 7, where the trial installation fails after hitting Install at Ready to Install screen.

I worked around the problem by switching the "Run in 256 colors" Compatibility setting on the trial installation executable. Why this worked I have no clue - the purchased version was fine. (Using an ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 video card).

Note that I submitted a ticket, #25453, with the above information.
adrien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 2:55am
Hi Timoh

I just spent about 5 hours recovering from a similar error.  Several windows updates screw your ability to install things.  You get symptoms like:

* MSIs won't install, 
* winmsd won't run
* network connections don't show

typically this is caused by MS incessant penchant for deprecating rights for Remote Procedure Call service, setting it from LocalSystem (a privileged account) to Network authority (a neutered account).

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to set it back to LocalSystem, then reboot.  Last night I even had to re-install SP3. 

So the gist of this, is it could be your system...
Timoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 4:59pm
Thanks, Adrien. I've a brand new XP install in a Virtual, and as you surmise, it has given Remote Procedure Call service a Network Authority. I'll change that it and see if I can install.

I sure have been having "fun" with Microsoft's privilege system recently.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic