Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to properly enable a ribbon edit control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to properly enable a ribbon edit control
    Posted: 15 February 2011 at 6:27pm
We have added a CXTPControlEdit to our ribbon. We set the control ID and in our OnCmdMsg handler we set the enable flag on the cmd UI object to TRUE. But we find our control is disabled.

After debugging I found that the command bars object calls UpdateDialogControls. While walking the child windows the code finds the edit control created by the CXTPEditControl (the m_pEdit member that is the actual windows edit control). Then the routine calls GetDlgCtrlID and sets that in a cmd UI object and calls OnCmdMsg.

Our OnCmdMsg simply sees the "m_pOther" object as a generic CWnd and of course the ID passed in is unknown to us (we disable any unknown IDs by default). Hence I have no real way to determine what I have and whether it should be enabled or not.

So I am wondering what is the best way to handle controls/windows on the ribbon for update UI purposes. After creating the CXTPControlEdit object should we get the m_pEdit member and call SetDlgCtrlID to something we would recognize (probably the same value we set on the CXTPControlEdit object)? It looks like I can set the control ID to zero too.

Or is there some other method I have overlooked that lets us talk to the generic CXTPControl class where I can set the dialog control ID of the underlying object? Something else I should do?
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 1:58am
Hello,

Thanks a lot for such detailed description.
I guess its about Visual Studio 2010 ?   It has very strange feature (I'd call it even bug) - if we create window with Create method and parameter nID = 0, only Visual Studio 2010 assign some non zero ID instead of 0.

// Weird VC2010 only code:
{

if ((cs.hMenu == NULL) && (cs.style & WS_CHILD))
{
cs.hMenu = (HMENU)(UINT_PTR)this;
}
}

I will check all such places in CommandBars and set Windows ID to zero after Create.

Thanks for help.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 2:09am
Just to be sure it will work for you, please in 
BOOL CXTPCommandBarEditCtrl::CreateEdit(DWORD dwStyle, CWnd* pParentWnd)
add line
SetDlgCtrlID(0);
and build toolkit.  Its fixed problem ?

Oleg, Support Team
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 10:02am
I'll give that a shot. I don't see why it would not work. I thought I could get the underlying edit control from the CXTPControlEdit after we create the latter. But I see the CEdit is created well after we create the CJ control. So a code change in CJ makes more sense.

This is odd though. I have just stepped thru all the code where you create the "RichEdit20W" control. I get to CWnd::Create and there I see the nID passed in is used to init the hMenu of the create struct passed to PreCreateWindow.

Sure enough Microsoft has changed the code in PrecreateWindow where they added this:

if ((cs.hMenu == NULL) && (cs.style & WS_CHILD))
{
cs.hMenu = (HMENU)(UINT_PTR)this;
}

This explains what I saw in OnCmdMsg. The ID looked like a pointer and now I see it is. I think I'll ping Microsoft on this and ask why they made the change.

Also we happen to disable unknown IDs when they come thru our OnCmdMsg (we have a reason ...). So until we moved to VS 2010, we didn't have this problem. We also moved to a new CJ so we didn't know what the root cause of the disabled controls was.

Friend said MS "broke CodeJock" on purpose!
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 1:47pm
Oleg,

I made the following quick-and-dirty change as suggested. Works like a charm. Thanks for the quick reply. Will you have something in an update anytime soon?

BOOL CXTPCommandBarEditCtrl::CreateEdit(DWORD dwStyle, CWnd* pParentWnd)

{

if (GetRichEditContext().m_hInstance)

{

BOOL bResult = CWnd::Create(GetRichEditContext().m_strClassName, 0, dwStyle, CRect(0, 0, 0, 0), pParentWnd, 0);

SendMessage(EM_SETEVENTMASK, 0, ENM_CHANGE);

SendMessage(EM_SETTEXTMODE, TM_PLAINTEXT | TM_SINGLELEVELUNDO);

if( bResult ) SetDlgCtrlID(0);

return bResult;

}

BOOL bRet = Create(dwStyle, CRect(0, 0, 0, 0), pParentWnd, 0);

if( bRet )

{

SetDlgCtrlID(0);

}

return bRet;

}

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 2:16pm
:)

Actually just found some complains about this new "feature".

Don't see any reason why Microsoft added it
Oleg, Support Team
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 2:17pm
Hi,

Yes, we are preparing 15.0.2 with collection of small fixes.
Oleg, Support Team
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 3:30pm
Thanks Oleg.

I went to the MS connect article. The original complaint was "rejected" because MS could not duplicate it! I added my two cents worth.

I also opened a support case with Microsoft since I rarely get any satisfaction with "connect".
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2011 at 9:24am
Oleg,

Microsoft finally got back to me. This is an intended change we have to live with:

Hi RD – I found that this was indeed a by-design change to improve managed native interop scenarios.

I’m told there is a TRACE statement in CWnd::Create which attempts to alert you of the problem.  Now, with this change, any dialog control must have an ID other than zero in order for GetDlgItem to work correctly.

I hope that helps.  I’m requesting the forum post be updated with more information.

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2011 at 4:45am
thanks for sharing, will hold in mind this feature.
Oleg, Support Team
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic