Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how use xp style under win2000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen_hyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how use xp style under win2000
    Posted: 07 February 2005 at 1:50am
it seems that manifest is only suitable under xp
zaksoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaksoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2005 at 2:46am

It's a feature of the operating system, not of the library... XP search for a an external manifest file or a resource into the program and apply themes.

Davide

VS2008 SP1 - VS2010 SP1 - VS2012 - MFC MBCS Statically linked
XTP 15.3.1 Static Link
---------------------------------------------------------
Davide Zaccanti - ZakSoft - www.zaksoft.com
stephen_hyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen_hyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 1:55am
then how can i use xp style under 2000 system
zaksoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaksoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 2:32am

Simply you cant, I dont known any library that emulates themes.

Like you cannot use security features in W98 since are part of NT, you cannot use themes in version earlier than XP ( or W2003 server)

VS2008 SP1 - VS2010 SP1 - VS2012 - MFC MBCS Statically linked
XTP 15.3.1 Static Link
---------------------------------------------------------
Davide Zaccanti - ZakSoft - www.zaksoft.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen_hyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 3:06am

then how to use xtreme to do that . For example,make an edit box to be in xp style.

ICBM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by stephen_hyc stephen_hyc wrote:

then how to use xtreme to do that . For example,make an edit box to be in xp style.

Please, accept this: you can't use XP themes on Windows 2000, period.
Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 4:04pm

Yes, XP manifests and XP specific themes can only be used under XP.

Codejock can be used for certain XP-like controls, such as Flat edit boxes or combo boxes. And you can use the blue-colored Office 2003 theme under other version of windows if you use a custom theme, but nothing you can ever do will get your title bar or regular buttons to look like they do by default under XP other then completely 100% owner-drawn code, which would still not obey theme changes, if other versions of windows even let you pick themes in control panel anywhere.

gshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 4:05pm

Originally posted by ICBM ICBM wrote:

Please, accept this: you can't use XP themes on Windows 2000, period.

Actually, you can. http://www.ciatheco.com/Products/XPSuite/Index.html <- This is what I was using prior to switching to Xtreme Suite

I would not recommend it for a few reasons:

1) If your customers run Win2000, then they expect the applications they run to look like Win2000. If your app is the only one that behaves differently, it will look odd, out of place, and simply unprofessional.

2) Some users *dislike* the XP Themes and disable them, even under Windows XP. Imagine what they will think of you when you force them to use the XP theme.

3) This specific set of controls is quite unstable and as far as I know is no longer being updated. Regardless, what you're trying to achieve is a bad idea mostly because of 1) and 2)

Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 4:09pm

gshawn - you realize that what you pointed too is NOT XP themes at all, but Office 2003 style toolbars and such, which is exactly what Codejock does do, and NOT what stephen_hyc seems to want to do.  
gshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 4:15pm

Originally posted by Ark42 Ark42 wrote:

gshawn - you realize that what you pointed too is NOT XP themes at all, but Office 2003 style toolbars and such, which is exactly what Codejock does do, and NOT what stephen_hyc seems to want to do.  

No, actually it's exactly what he's looking for.

Originally posted by <SPAN =bold>stephen_hyc</SPAN> stephen_hyc wrote:

For example,make an edit box to be in xp style.

Like this one? http://www.ciatheco.com/Products/XPSuite/XPText.htm. Note under the feature listing: "Windows XP Style regardless of the operating system."

I know that's what he's looking for, because I used that toolset for over a year. But I still recommend against it, because of the reasons outlined above.

Edited by gshawn
Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 4:20pm

That is now, maybe what he wants, but what if you change your theme under XP? That control still won't change, it will always look like the default XP theme, but yes, it will look like that under any version of windows.
He started out asking about why the XP manifest file doesn't work under 2000 and below though.
Codejock provides an interface wrapper to hook into the XP theme manager and lets you draw some controls using the current theme under XP and higher, although most of what you need to do that is just to use the xml manifest resource.
Personally, I put menu options in my program to let the user pick from 3 overall themes, using Office 2000, XP, or 2003, so if they like the 98/2000 style stuff, even under XP, they can pick Office 2000 style.

gshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 4:37pm

I agree that this is not a good idea at all. The con's far outweigh the pro's.

Now, regarding your menu option to let the user pick his/her theme (2K/XP/2K3), this is something that I have been thinking about. On the one hand, it's neat to be able to offer different themes with pretty much 0 changes in code. On the other hand, my application is more of a "serious" application if you will (a developer tool) so I am afraid it will look a bit too "gimmicky." Is your application intended for use by individuals or professionals, and how do you get around this issue? Thanks

Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 4:47pm

My application is more of an graphics design tool that regular home users download from my website, so Office 2003 (set to blue, not grey, on Win2000 and below) is the default, and you can pick 2000 or XP if you want to still.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen_hyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 7:43pm
then how to apply 2003 theme.Derive from CXTEdit or CXTPEdit? It seems they dont work.
Ark42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 7:48pm

Use the command bars edit or dropdown controls and they are themed as part of the command bars.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen_hyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 8:02pm
but i just want to use in dialog and change the default theme under 2000.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic