Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question mark does not belong in TaskDialog!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question mark does not belong in TaskDialog!
    Posted: 24 September 2010 at 4:55am
13.4.1: "Added Question icon support for TaskDialog" Thumbs Down

I have pinpointed this before. Question marks do not belong in TaskDialogs. Microsoft have explicitly discouraged the misuse of the question mark, and they also removed it when they introduced the TaskDialog API.

I know some users want this stuff, but I still think we should not encourage bad UI. Not to mention that software written with your library may become non-compliant with "Vista/W7 Logo".

Recommended reading:

* Use the question mark icon only for Help entry points. For more information, see the Help entry point guidelines.
Don't use the question mark icon to ask questions. Again, use the question mark icon only for Help entry points. There is no need to ask questions using the question mark icon anyway, it's sufficient to present a main instruction as a question.
* Don't routinely replace question mark icons with warning icons. Replace a question mark icon with a warning icon only if the question has significant consequences. Otherwise, use no icon.
PokerMemento - http://www.pokermemento.com/
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 5:40am
Some users wanted it and they got it. It's not my app, so why worry?

Codejock support
Marco1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 5:52am
I understand that MS want to have clear guidelines for application usage.
In fact we did some research concerning the usage of our product and it seems that dialogs/boxes with big questions marks are better recognized as a question than a box with a warning sign.
The normal "stupid" user doesn't know anything (and even doesn't care) about special question mark reservation.
For me a developer it's okay to have the choice even if this is not within the visual compliance of MS.
Just a personal thought.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic