Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > MarkupLabel Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Markup direction statement from CodeJock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Markup direction statement from CodeJock?
    Posted: 28 March 2010 at 11:15am
Jason (jpbro) has provided some fantastic feedback with regard to how CodeJock Markup might evolve from its present state. But at this point I am wondering if anyone at CodeJock is listening.

As I've said in the past, I think markup support is one of the most compelling aspects of the CodeJock product lineup and is just beautifully implemented (and grossly under-marketed). Markup provides an opportunity for native C++/MFC/VB developers to implement new and creative user interface ideas for their products. As long as markup is available within XTP, I would not even consider using another product.

Having said that, there is definitely work left to do. Again, Jason has done a good job of discussing what some of these items are, but there has been little feedback from CodeJock on the matter.

It would be very valuable to get some sense of direction from CodeJock at this point. Will there be significant additional enhancements to markup moving forward? If so, what product release might target those enhancements, and when? If markup will be evolving, is there anything we can do to help (prioritization, etc.) with those efforts?

I'll finish with my own quick request hit list (apologies to Jason if these are already present in your list somewhere):
  • Ability to save / export markup in image format (e.g. BMP, JPB, whatever)
  • Pagination and multi-page printing support (possibly within built-in view class, not just the one from sample)
  • Ability to tie triggers to a specific XAML tag / object
  • Built-in entity character escape mechanism
  • Zooming / scaling capabilities
  • Ability to select text in within TextBlocks, etc.
  • Some kind of tooltip markup object (for showing tips within markup areas)
  • Markup object sizing expressed in percentages
Friends at CodeJock - what can we expect moving forward?
jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by markr markr wrote:

As I've said in the past, I think markup support is one of the most compelling aspects of the CodeJock product lineup and is just beautifully implemented (and grossly under-marketed). Markup provides an opportunity for native C++/MFC/VB developers to implement new and creative user interface ideas for their products. As long as markup is available within XTP, I would not even consider using another product.

Couldn't agree more, and thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Could you do me a huge favour by starting a separate thread for the following items? I can then add them to my TODO list and link to the individual threads, which should help to keep the discussion focused should we start getting replies from CJ:
  • Ability to save / export markup in image format (e.g. BMP, JPB, whatever)
    I think that it would be nice to be able to get this image as a ByteArray or StdPicture as well, and to be able to set the RECT to capture
  • Pagination and multi-page printing support (possibly within built-in view class, not just the one from sample)
    It would be ideal if we could draw the MarkupLabel by page to any hDC as well  IMHO
  • Zooming / scaling capabilities
    YES!
  • Ability to select text in within TextBlocks, etc.
    YES!
I've got a few questions about the following items - we may not need requests for these depending on your answers:
  • Ability to tie triggers to a specific XAML tag / object
    Can you explain this a bit more?
  • Built-in entity character escape mechanism
    When setting the Text property of objects, characters are escaped automatically in my experience - are there any objects where this isn't happening? Or can you explain what you need in more detail?
  • Some kind of tooltip markup object (for showing tips within markup areas)
    Most (or all?) of the objects have a Tooltip property that you can set for simple tooltips, or did you need Markup enabled tooltips?
Lastly, I do have this one on the TODO list, so you don't need to add a thread for it:
  • Markup object sizing expressed in percentages

Thanks again for you input, I really appreciate it - it gets lonely around the Markup area sometimes ;)

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

markr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:26pm
Hi Jason,

I would feel a bit more motivated to break these out into separate threads if I thought someone at CodeJock was listening and prioritizing work items as a result. :-)

I think there are probably a few differences between use of markup in MFC vs. COM/VB. For example, in C++/MFC we don't get automatic entity escaping. Not a huge deal of course, but its one of those little safeguards the framework could provide easily.

Regarding triggers, the documentation suggests that they are applied to entire classes of objects, and I want to apply them to specific object instances. Maybe this is possible and I'm just understanding something?

As for tool tips, I didn't realize that most objects have a ToolTip attribute. Will check into that, thanks!

I'll try to break these up into separate posts when time permits. Thanks again.
jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:42pm
Hi Mark,

I understand your reluctance. Let me just say that I've been asked by SuperMario to create the TODO lists so that they can review them when they have finished Chart beta and add items to their new internal tracker. Whether or not this will happen, I can't guarantee of course, but it's the closest we've got to a chance to open a consistent dialog. In any case, the TODO list will still be here if/when CJ starts communicating with us about the requests, so you can always add the threads at that time.

Originally posted by markr markr wrote:

Regarding triggers, the documentation suggests that they are applied to entire classes of objects, and I want to apply them to specific object instances. Maybe this is possible and I'm just understanding something?

I've only played around with triggers a little bit, but I have a vague idea that you can attach them to an individual instance of an object - let me see if I can dig up one of my experiments to prove (or if not, then disprove) this.

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 16.2.6
Platform: Windows XP - SP3

Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6

jpbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 12:23am
I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, but you can put Style resources inside of a specific object instance to over-ride any page level styles. Try this sample out in the MarkupPad:

<Page xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation' xmlns:x='http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml'>

<!-- Setup default rectangle style & mouse over trigger -->
    <Page.Resources>
        <Style TargetType="Rectangle">
            <Setter Property="Fill" Value="Blue"/>
            <Style.Triggers>
                <Trigger Property="IsMouseOver" Value="True">
                    <Trigger.Setters>
                        <Setter Property="Fill" Value="Yellow"/>
                    </Trigger.Setters>
                </Trigger>
            </Style.Triggers>
        </Style>

</Page.Resources>

<StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center">
        <Rectangle Width="100" Height="100"/>

<Rectangle Width="100" Height="100">
            <Rectangle.Resources>
                <!-- Override base rectangle style & trigger for this rectangle only -->
                <Style TargetType="Rectangle">
                    <Setter Property="Fill" Value="Red"/>
                    <Style.Triggers>
                        <Trigger Property="IsMouseOver" Value="True">
                            <Trigger.Setters>
                                <Setter Property="Fill" Value="Green"/>
                            </Trigger.Setters>
                        </Trigger>
                    </Style.Triggers>
                </Style>

</Rectangle.Resources>
        </Rectangle>