Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Docking Pane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Several pane questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Several pane questions.
    Posted: 10 December 2004 at 4:38pm

Hello,

I have a few questions about the docking control, listed in approximate order of importance but help with any of them would be appreciated:

1) Is there a way to programmatically 'tile' the panes?  I have the hide client property set to true and would like to be able to programmatically arrange the panes.  So I can add commands to automatically arrange the pane layouts, eg. something like 'Grid panes' and have the panes form a 'tiled' grid.

2) Is there a way to respond to click events on the title bar or tabs (in the case grouped panes)?  I would like to add a right click popup menu for options such as 'close tab' etc.

3) I have not had any success with the load layout commands.  Is there something additional I need to add?  I have tried saving to both a string and the registry.  The save portion seems correct, I get data in the string and the registry, but when I try to load the configuration the window layout doesn't update.

To save I call:

layoutString = W2A( m_spPhotoPanes->SaveStateToString() );

Then to load:

m_spPhotoPanes->LoadStateFromString( A2BSTR( (char*)layoutString ) );

4) Is there any way to control the tabs on pane groups to make them act the same as the tabs on the MDI tabWorkspace?  That is, when there are too many tabs to fit instead of shrinking the size of the tabs it activates the scroll arrows on the right of the tabs.

Sorry for the long list of questions, especially just before the weekend, but I need to resolve these to determine if the docking control is suitable for our application.

Thanks,

- James

Maui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2005 at 6:17am

Over 6 weeks and no reply from the support team. I guess you have your answer :p

In short the answer to most of your questions is no.

Here is a list of what you can do with a docking pane once you have created it.
1. Hide it
2. Show it

Thats about it.

You cant position a pane with code so your tiliing question is out. (well you could but it would need to be done by you manually destroying and then recreating the panes and working out their positions yourself bearing in mind that you can only position relative to an edge or another pane)
There are Actions that you can respond to on a pane, but nothing as functional as a mouse click. Only things like docking and undocking are covered. Myself and other people have made requests for more "actions" to be handled but like your post we have had no replies.
Loadlayout does work but it is for all panes or no panes. ie you cant let your users close a single pane and then expect to be able to open it again in the same place.
I dont know for sure about question 4 because I have never opened that many docking panes but from experience I would say the answer is probably no.

Hope this info helps

JamesH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2005 at 4:21pm

Thanks for the respons Maui,  I did actually have (although it took a while) a response from Oleg via a tech support entry.  And while not ideal I think I have found work-arounds for most of the issues I am facing.  I will post them here incase anyone else is having similar problems.

1) The key here was (as you suggested) rather than trying to position them you can destroy, recreate and the reassign the contents of the pane.  This was a key concept I hadn't considered.  Using this technique I am able to arange windows dynamically in a suitable fashion.

2) Apparently this will be added for the next version.

3) This was due to the way for some window types I was assigning the window handle directly after construction instead of in the on attach event.

4) This was possible using the xtpTabLayoutAutoSize layout.  My problem here was this setting needs to be set AFTER the theme is assigned.  Setting the theme overwrites this property.

JamesH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2005 at 12:02pm
Also with #3 loading of layouts.  The layout loading does not work if you have a pane with an ID of zero.  It took me quite some time to figure this out, I couldn't find it documented anywhere.  Maybe it's a C++ thing but I always start my counts at zero not one.
Flamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 8:45am

I encountered the same with the ActiveX-control. Maybe this info can help.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic