Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Application fails to open from task bar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Application fails to open from task bar
    Posted: 05 August 2009 at 6:27pm

This happens in our app but can be duplicated using a CJ sample. I am only tested on Vista 64 OS but customers say this happens on XP (32 bit)

1.) Open the ribbon sample and hit "go".
2.) Answer yes to build the app.
3.) When the app comes up, maximize the window.
4.) Hit the "Windows+m" key combination. Windows will minimize all applications.
4). Click the codejock sample icon in the task bar.
5). Application fails to maximize. RIght-click and the menu has "minimize" and "maximize"disabled. Restore is enabled but does not work.

If at step4, the app shows back up. Repeat step 4 and 5 a number of times until the app fails to show up. Nor does alt-tabbing to the CJ app cause the app to come back up. At this point, the user has to kill the app. That can be done by right-clicking the icon in the task bar and clicking "Close".

We have V13 currently and the customer base has V11. So this seems to be an issue on both versions of CJ.

I tested without maximizing and was unable to duplicate the issue (I repeated 4&5 about 10 or so times, gave up, maximized and two tries later the CJ app was hosed).

What causes this and how can it be fixed?
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 7:15pm
Damn, this is really bad! Easily reproducible :(
PokerMemento - http://www.pokermemento.com/
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:40am
Looks like it depends on the sample. This may be another case where the office 2007 frame/theme causes problems.
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:49am
Yep, disabling the frame theme makes the problem go away. Too bad you want the frame theme :)
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 11:55am
The frame theme is the primary reason we moved to CJ (plus Visual Studio's update that provided this same functionality was going to be released too late in our product dev cycle).

I have found that the frame window, even though it is minimized, still has the WS_MAXIMIZE style set. All other windows that minimize when I run the minimize command have WS_MINIMIZE style set.
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 12:14pm
Hmm, what's the value of CXTPRibbonBar->m_bMinimized when this occurs?
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 12:40pm
m_bMinimized is ZERO. However, I have found that the frame has both the WS_MINIMIZE and the WS_MAXIMIZE styles set. This causes windows to disable both the minimize and maximize command's. It also keep the resize command from working as the entire frame is in an invalid state. Also, I have found that skipping the CJ call to remove the WS_CAPTION style from the frame seems to affect this. If I skip the call and then duplicate this issue, I simply have to click the icon in the task bar a couple of times to restore the app to the desktop (I am also implementing OnNcPaint and removing and adding the style around the call to the base class' OnNcPaint. Unfortunately the off theme window hook function seems to be where I need to pull that "trick" since I am still sometimes seeing the underlying system provided icons (I thought NC painting was where that happens). I may need to remove and add other styles (WS_SYSMENU and WS_MINIMIZEBOX, WS_MAXIMIZEBOX).

Still working on this and the related "cannot use windows task bar tiling) issue. My nc paint changes allow me to participate in task bar tiling commands but I am currently also stopping in debug and skipping CJ's removing of the WS_CAPTION style when I start up (CJ removes this style in a couple of places but I only trip the breakpoint for one when starting up).

I am not doing this in our product version that uses CJ V13 since it appears they don't remove the caption there (but the tiling issue and this issue still show up). Eventually I'll get to V13 and see if my nc paint code has any affect at all. Plus, so far it is looking like if I want robust fixes, I may have to modify the CJ source code, something we really don't want to do. Unfortunately CJ support told us there just will be no fixes for the tiling issue (I have not filed a support case for this "Windows+m" issue yet but I am guessing CJ will just turn right around and say "no fix" for this one too).
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:35pm
Is is Vista only problem?  I cannot duplicate on XP?
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 3:18pm
I'm running Vista Business, classic style. And my own frame-themed application does not suffer from this, though I minimize it to the tray...
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 3:19pm

rhdh, I bet Oleg can fix this. No need to dig around and implementing some hacky workaround...

Oleg, where are you? :P

rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 3:50pm

Have to run with the office 2007 frame/theme to duplicate it. I am on Vista 64 bit. I have an XP 64 bit machine and am currently pulling our platform to that machine to try there too. But the customers have already indicated it is an XP issue too. Also, sometimes it takes a number of tries. So I keep my cursor over the icon and do the Windows+m, click the icon and repeat until the bug shows up. Usually only takes a couple of times if it doesn't happen right away. Also, you have to maximize your app window first.

rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 3:54pm
Zan,

CJ may be able to fix it. I have not opened a case yet. But my fix is being "overridden" because CJ is intercepting all but the first nc paint call on the frame with their hook. Hence I am finding that even if I add message handlers for a number of window's messages, they never make it to my frame because of how CJ is handling the messages. So you are correct (and this is what I feared) that only CJ can fix this issue or I have to modify their source and keep remodifying it each time we get an update.
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 5:01pm

Afaik, Win+M is rarely used nowadays. Win+D kind of replaced it. Of course this must be fixed by CJ, but until then, tell your users to use Win+D instead (I can't reproduce the bug using this key combination).

rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 12:28pm
Thanks for the "Windows+d" tip. But that seems to cause other issues as well (I just posted the first problem I am seeing with it).

In the meantime, I have a work-around for this CJ bug.

I implemented the OnSize method of our frame window. Fortunately CJ does not prevent that notification from making it to the frame window. So when the method is called, I do the following:

CCustomFrame::OnSize(nType,cx,cy);

DWORD dwCurStyle = GetStyle();

DWORD bMax = dwCurStyle & WS_MAXIMIZE;

DWORD bMin = dwCurStyle & WS_MINIMIZE;

if( bMax && bMin )

{

TRACE("min and max style set\n");

if( nType == SIZE_MINIMIZED )

{

ModifyStyle( WS_MAXIMIZE, 0, 0 );

}

}

That seems to fix the issue (although I am still testing). I found another issue while testing where the "restore" command from the task bar shortcut menu causes an issue but fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective) I have found that issue is pre-existing (I posted that separately).

Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 6:14pm
Rdhd

Seems like you have three or perhaps more issues that we cannot duplicate, so I am a bit confused what is causing all these problems.  At first you indicated it may be related to the office 2007 frame/theme.  Are you sure its not related to the ribbon stuff and has nothing to do with the office 2007 frame/theme?  Or is it a combination of the office 2007 frame/theme and the ribbon logic?  We don't use the ribbon logic and have never had these problems (or at least hope we don't).
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:42am
Kenneth,

We duplicate this issue with the RibbonSample and easy steps. Zan indicates he easily reproduced it too. I don't know about him but I am on Vista 64 bit OS (but I built the 32 bit sample and am running the 32 bit version of our app). We use the office 2007 look and feel, which is why I initially built the RibbonSample. I then built another sample that did not have the office 2007 look&feel and could not duplicate the problem. So the connection to 2007 is purely anecdotal.

I just built the RibbonSample on my XP Pro 64 bit box. Only took four tries to repro the problem there too. That is, I keyed WIndows+m and clicked the icon in the task bar and the app maximized. So I repeated the keyin and clicked the icon three more times and the app is now stuck. Spy++ shows me the frame window has both the WS_MINIMIZE and WS_MAXIMIZE styles set.

I also went ahead and built the 64 bit RibbonSample and can duplicate with it too. My XP box has the version of our platform that uses V11.2 of CJ. So the issue precedes V13 (what we currently are building the next version of our app with).

Have you tried duplicating with the codejock\samples\ribbon\ribbonsample?
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:58am
Rdhd

I tried both RibbonSample and RibbonMDISample, unicode-release and cannot duplicate problem on XP, 32 bit.  I followed the steps you provided in your first post.  I am using Codejock 13.1 with Visual Studio 6 sp 6.  Are you using unicode?
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 10:04am
Classic XP 32-bit (and I can reproduce it on Vista 32-bit too, also Classic style). XTP compiled with VS 2008 SP1.
C:\Program Files\Codejock Software\MFC\Xtreme ToolkitPro v13.1.0\Bin\vc90\RibbonControls.exe

1) Maximize.
2..n) Win+M, click taskbar (do these two steps quite fast).
n+1) Program hanged. WS_MAXIMIZE and WS_MINIMIZE set.

This is a serious problem and it's veeery easy to reproduce.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 10:15am
I just tried RibbonControls, unicode release using Clasic XP 32-bit compiled with VS 6 SP6 and still cannot duplicate.  I note you are using VS 2008 SP1, what are you using Rdhd?
rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 10:32am
I have both Visual Studio 2005 (SP2), which I used to build the RIbbonSample on my XP 64 bit Pro box and 2008 (SP1 with lots of hotfixes) on my Vista 64 bit box. I also built the 64 bit version of the sample on my XP box - same results. Took three times on the XP box to duplicate the issue (do not restart, just keep hitting the keyin and clicking the icon in the task bar.)
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 11:05am
I have tried all three ribbon samples in CJ 13.1 and cannot duplicate the problem on XP.  Perhaps it may be related to later versions of Visual Studio or some third party products.  Strange that this is not a issue reported by more readers of this forum.
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 11:39am
Not so strange. Like I said, who uses Win+M nowadays? The 'M' is too far away from the Win-button :P

1) MultiByte. Haven't tested unicode.
2) Both my computers share these "settings":
    32-bit, classic style, ALL animations disabled!
    Microsoft Office 2007 + Groove 2007.
    Daemon Tools.
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 12:26pm
Yea, BUT, anyone who produces and sells commercial applications that sees this problem report will do everything in their power to duplicate the problem and resolve it, or at least attempt to.  Just like us.   No one wants to release software with bugs like this.  We will continue to test the office 2007 frame/theme combined with ribbon logic.
znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2009 at 11:25am
Just noticed that I have Windows SDK 6.1. Did you try the above with this?

Include path set in VS:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1
Kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2009 at 12:08pm

We have vs6sp6.exe, which I believe was the last update for VS6 from Microsoft.  If you have a later version, where did you get it?

znakeeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znakeeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 5:27am

Have you tested this with 13.2? Was it fixed?

terrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 5:07am
Hi

We are also interested in knowing if this was fixed for 13.2?

Thank you,
Terry Mancey

email terry@tmancey.ltd.uk | linkedin www.tmancey.ltd.uk | twitter @tmancey
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 7:42am
Hi,

Thanks, we finally reproduced it with Windows 7.

please check if attached 13.2.1 sample has it now :
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
terrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 7:54am

Excellent, works here now for us.

Oleg, are you fixing the issues reported with the Scenic theme etc. aswell and adding ability to add image for File tab

Thank you,
Terry Mancey

Marcus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 10:31am
Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

This crashes when i choose print preview.
13.2.0 doesn't crash
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

This crashes when i choose print preview.
13.2.0 doesn't crash
Hi, Thanks, I just compiled sample without resources.  Replacing zip now.
Oleg, Support Team
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 11:26am
Originally posted by terrym terrym wrote:

Excellent, works here now for us.

Oleg, are you fixing the issues reported with the Scenic theme etc. aswell and adding ability to add image for File tab

Hi,

Yes, critical - with cutted application icon, aligned QuickAccess buttons, Image for File button already fixed.
Oleg, Support Team
terrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 11:27am
Excellent, if you would like us to test before release just drop me email to sales@my-software.co.uk or reply to a post.

Cheers
Terry
Thank you,
Terry Mancey

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic