Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Calendar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tooltip does not behave properly.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KumarCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tooltip does not behave properly.
    Posted: 22 May 2009 at 5:57am
Hello Mark,

Please find the attached "ToolTipIssue.JPG".

I have tried with calendar sample "CalendarDemo" with few details mentioned below.

Step 1: Add New Appointment [Should not be All day appointment]
Step 2: Add subject as "11.00 AM - Test Appointment"
Step 3: Point the mouse pointer on added appointment

The tooltip display only "11.00 AM - Test" instead of "11.00 AM - Test Appointment".

I think this is a bug for tooltip.

Please help me out regarding this.

Thanks,
Saket.  
Marco1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 7:59am
Not exactly the same thing, but something to mention concerning the tooltip:
The position of the tooltip window is wrong. The upper border always corresponds to the upper border of the event.
The problem is that the tooltip is partially hidden by the mouse pointer. The correct behaviour is to display the upper border of the tooltip below the mouse pointer, like in Outlook 2007.

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 8:19pm
I fixed yesterday in the morning and was surpised that Saket not answered me

I am not sure that second proposal make sense - compare yourself. Bottom position can confuse user while current svn version show exactly which event you hover and can read text - in the case of Custom Tooltip (ver 13.1) you can show here in tooltip even more information and in your own order and choice. I will keep current SVN version.
KumarCJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KumarCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 1:20am

Hello Mark,

My reply on Support site is "Ok, will test and let you know the result."

Sat/Sun we are having holidays, so i was not in office.

Today morning as soon as come to office I posted the reply on Support site issue number 21816.

Today reply[25-May-2009]:
-------------------------------
It will be great help for us, if you can send the file in which you fixed this issue of tooltip issue.

We are releasing our application patch with codejock 13.0 within one or two days, almost all testing of our application are done.

At this point of time we feel it is risky to shift to codejock 13.1, and doing this can slip our deadline for relaese and once again we need to test entire application.

So please send us the modified file, so that we can test only tooltip issue and give the relase on schedule time to our customers.

Thanks,
Saket
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 12:00am
The problem was the different behavior in this part in Debug and Release mode (previous snapshots - from Debug mode). I propose some fix and you can try it in updated exe:
I also like you to try print / printpreview with small time interval in DayView time scale (5 - 6 min)

KumarCJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KumarCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 2:42am
Ok Mark, I will test it and let you know the result.
Marco1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 3:21am
Mark, I tested your two latest samples. Two things:

- Tooltips for AllDayEvents are not working (but as far as I know they are supposed to be - at least if Outlook 2007 is the reference)
- Event tooltips are always partially hidden by the mouse pointer, because the are aligned to the events top position and not to the mouse pointers bottom pos.

prashant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prashant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 7:31am
Agree with Macro 1

As per standards Tooltip must be at the bottom of the mouse cursor. Present tooltip making event text non visible.
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 8:03am
AllDayEvents is working for CustomTooltip mode - try CalendarDemoStatic which demonstrate it.

Tooltip location follows Window Explorer and Outlook Express pattern (I can attach snapshot but think you seen it)

But I can add bool flag TooltipUnderMouse so you can choose to mode (XP standard as I use or your one - not a big deal)
prashant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prashant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 9:10am
That is good idea.
I checked toolotip pattern in MS Outlook, MS Word, XP Win Explorer, standard legacy applications

All are displaying tooltip under mouse cursor.

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:11am

Try recent update https://forum.codejock.com/uploads/DemoVersion/CalendarDemoStatic.rar please.

It use flag CalendarCtrl.TooltipUnderMouse = True
I am surprise but on my XP Windows Explorer and Outlook Express show tooltip on same row - no offset down!
prashant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prashant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 7:56am
Mark,

Tested the application, something like this but not the 100%

I guess you hard coded the offset, please add tooltip starting from bottom of the mouse cursor.(At present it starts midways)
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:30am
It use small cursor size hardcoded height. We can get cursor icon size to catch 16 * 16 or 32 * 32 cursor icon but I am not going to analyze transperent pixels in the bottom of icon. No sense... It's minor
prashant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prashant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:47am
Agreed with It's minor to implement...
Not agreed that it's no sense..I hope you can understand

Imagine MS applications overriding menu text by tooltips...
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:55am

Yes I can imagine it - see

prashant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prashant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 12:34am
MS Word Tooltip:-

MS-Excel Tooltip:-

MS-Outlook Tooltip:-

and the list goes on....

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 2:50pm
What do you want to proof? I know it - I just show you example when MS not follows this rule
mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 7:32pm
OK - I will use this code - it give tooltip exactly on the top of mouse cursor - you can put it into your source 

CPoint pointMouse;

GetCursorPos(&pointMouse);

int ht = rcTip.Height();

rcTip.bottom = pointMouse.y;

rcTip.top = rcTip.bottom - ht;

prashant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prashant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2009 at 3:21am
Mark,

I dont want to prove anything (I am just comparing different apps and trying to extract best of it not worst ), I agree MS behaving differently in different applications. "Be Smart, Choose the best one."
If tooltip covers text then both are of no use. Please try to patch above mentioned code in CJ 13.1.1

[Working in windows explorer tree view is as mentioned by you and the only reason behind it is:
MS don't want to hide bottom items in the tree view by tooltip, so that user can view more information on view rather than hiding the bottom items]

Thanks.

mdoubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdoubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 10:52pm
2-modes solution was already SVNed - absolutely nothing to discuss.
So minor thing any juniour developer with little help from Google can fix it in 10 minutes and send use this simple code instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic