Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Suite Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VB6 IDE crash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VB6 IDE crash
    Posted: 05 October 2004 at 11:17pm

I've had the VB6 SP6 IDE crash a few times while evaluating the Xtreme Suite ActiveX controls.  Has anyone else had problems?  I'm concerned about introducing instability in my professional app.

Thanks,

PJS

pstack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 12:50am
I just realized that there is a new version (v9.5) to try.  It seems more stable from the examples that I've looked at so far.
Maui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 4:22am

Its never crashed on me.

Ive been using since 8.7

SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 9:40am
What OS are you using?  Which samples are crashing on you?
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 6:44am

I've been using v9.0 and have been experiencing regular crashes when closing the application / IDE. These crashes did not happen prior to using the command bar controls.

Any help would be most appreciated!

nighthawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nighthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 8:03am
I'm using v9.1  on Windows XP and I experience IDE crashes occasionally when closing the application.  I use command bars and docking panes and I don't know which one is causing the problem.  This has always been a problem since I've started using these controls which was either 8.6 or 8.7.
kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 8:11am

Hi,

Could you provide us with a copy of your application along with a set of steps to reproduce the error so we can investigate further?  Can you tell me if you notice the same problem in any of the sample projects?

Thanks,
Codejock Support

Edited by Support
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 8:22am

I'm unable to provide the source for our application; our application contains some sensitive IP.

If you would prefer we could take a look at your code

kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 8:36am

We don't need your source code, however the exe would help us determine where the problem resides in your application.  Can you reproduce the error with any of the samples?

Codejock Support

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 8:45am

I've not been able to reproduce the problem with you samples..I've been on the phone to Microsoft over the past week to see if they can help. They seem to think it's a 3rd party control - but they where not very specific.

The crash only on NT4 work stations  (has been seen on other platforms but with less frequency) , and only when the application is closing down; as we are unloading the application. Is there anything I can do to ensure the command bar control is unloaded properly?

kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 9:12am

Hello,

Microsoft also uses our Command Bars ocx in some of their products.  We have not had any reports from Microsoft regarding crashes in the Command Bars ocx.  I am suspicious that it may be a simple implementation issue however it is nearly impossible to determine where the problem is without being able to reproduce the error ourselves.

Since you are able to consistently reproduce the problem with your application it would be helpful if you could provide us with a copy of your application executables so we can run the ocx in the debugger and see exactly where the crash is occurring.  If you are concerned about confidentiality we certainly understand.  When customers have a problem with their product and request our assistance in debugging the situation we typically sign a NDA.  This assures the customer that thier product will be kept confidential.  This protects your interests and help us provide you support so we can quickly solve the problem.

If you can fill out the following form https://www.codejock.com/support/bugreports.asp it will generate a support ticket and we will be able to assign your problem to a support technician.  Please describe your problem in detail and provide a set of steps to reproduce the problem.

Kind regards,
Codejock Support

pstack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 7:20pm
If I notice any crashes with v9.5, I'll be sure to let you know.  So far I haven't had a problem.  Thanks for the support.
kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2004 at 11:34am
Ok great thanks for the follow-up.
JSram View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 5:45pm
Well actually I do experience this as well after I purshased Xtreem Suite ActiveX a few days ago and started to convert my app using it. Since I have had sporadic crashes of the VB6 SP6 IDE. As I said they seam to occure "sporadic", and not at specific occation running and closing an app, so it's hard to reproduce.

However, I have noticed the following. It happens both in my own app and the sample apps. It seam to happen after the VB6 IDE been up for some time, and often when changing focus from one instance of VB6 IDE to the other, or closing an app running in the IDE.

I been so busy trying to figure out the new controls so havent really put full attension to it until now when I read this threed. So I can't say for sure if I always have had 2 or more instanses of VB running, but I think it have happen with just one instance as well.  But it's always when either closing a running app OR getting back to the IDE after being somewere else, Acrobate or other IDE instance mostly.

I will try to keep more attention to it and note conditions and also check a bit with the resourse use as my intuition tells me it can be some kind of memory leak. This never happened before installing Extreem that's for sure at least.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic