Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Toolkit Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MFC vs. ActiveX for use in C#

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MFC vs. ActiveX for use in C#
    Posted: 07 September 2004 at 8:11am

I'm hoping some of you MFC users might be able to help me with this.  I originally purchased Xtreme Suite for ActiveX because I was working with Visual Basic 6.  I'm now migrating all my code to C#.  I obviously can continue to use the ActiveX version, but it's not as feature-rich as the MFC code set.  Plus I have to wait for Codejock to implement certain functionality in the ActiveX version that I could have attained in MFC by changing the source code.

Has anyone been using the MFC version with C#?  If so, can you provide any useful feedback about the difficulty in integrating them with a C# application?  I'm not a very experienced C++ programmer, but I've picked up on C# very well.

I truly appreciate any feedback you give about C# integration.  Thank you in advance!

Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 2:11am

You can't use MFC version with C#. It is not possible.

Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
aosman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aosman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 10:27am

Does anyone here know if Codejock will develop tools for C# and .NET use?

Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 10:35am

For now, you can use all the ActiveX controls in .NET.  It's not managed code, but it works just fine.  Some of these controls (like the TabManager) still require you to use the old VB6 Image List control.  It's not a perfect implementation for .NET, but it is an option.

My biggest concern is that you don't have enough control over the ActiveX controls as you would if you had access to the source code like in the MFC version.

aosman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aosman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 10:51am

Hi Boyd - thanks for the prompt reply.  But we are all trying to get away from ActiveX controls and other .NET controls offer much more flexibility when it comes to integration and extending.  Is there a plan to eventually deliver a Codejock .NET controls for C# use?  If so, when (just a fuzzy time frame is fine) could we expect to see that?

Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 11:15am

At some point, I seem to remember a post in the forums stating the Codejock would not be pursuing a .NET version of their controls.  I've tried to locate that post, and I haven't been able to find it.  From what I recall, they said it didn't make sense to write pure .NET code because it would limit the use of that code to the .NET platform.  They also mentioned that they'd have to maintain two different code bases... .NET and C++.

From what I read there, it didn't sound promising, and I hope they change their mind.  I like using C#, but being stuck with ActiveX controls isn't encouraging.

Hopefully Codejock will comment on their plans for .NET.  You may want to create a new thread for that discussion since the title of this thread no longer applies.

aosman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aosman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 11:18am
 Shame - they seem to have the best toolset out there.
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 12:07pm
Boyd, in the next release, you can use the imagemanager to store icons for the suite controls like the takspamel and shortcutbar.

aosman, Yes, we are planning on a pure .NET version in the near future and would like to begin releasing C# solutions by mid 2005.

Edited by Support
Boyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 12:22pm
That's great news on both counts!!  I hope you will offer discounts for those wanting to upgrade from ActiveX to .NET
aosman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aosman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 12:53pm
Yah, sweet news.  OK - now I dont feel so bad about prototyping using the ActiveX stuff for now.
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 1:12pm
Quote I hope you will offer discounts for those wanting to upgrade from ActiveX to .NET

Yes, users with an  active maintenance account will be eligible for a discount
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic