Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Command Bars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your version of CommandBars.OCX may be ou

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your version of CommandBars.OCX may be ou
    Posted: 02 September 2004 at 1:37pm
i got this report from one of my customers

"I think one of the apps I recently installed must use a different version of this OCX than ApexScript does.

Failed to load control 'CommandBars' from CommandBars.OCX. Your version of CommandBars.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."

I have 8.7.0 can I just have user re-install MY product.

Is this caused by OTHER product installing older version over newer version?
SuperMario View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 1:43pm
Yes, it would be possible for a product using an older version to register its version of CommandBars, thus causing your program to use that version.  I would think you could just have them re-register your version as long as they did not overwrite the ocx you installed.

regsvr32 -u "path of old ocx"
regsvr32 "path of ocx"

This should allow both programs to work properly providing that the other application is not using a really old version.

Edited by SuperMario
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 2:00pm
thx - glad to see support still is great at codejock. u guys run a tight ship!

i will follow up with my user. my guess is that the other program installed the component in the same place thus overwriting it so only fix will be reinstall of my product
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2004 at 10:54am
here is a follow up - the problem looks a little worse. I though 8.7 was latest but apparently 9.1 is the latest version of commandbars. is this correct?

the problem is that the ocx's seem incompatible. If user installs a newer version of XtremeCommandbars in their pc is should not break existing software that used older versions of the software. I thought the reverse was happening (that user was overwriting 8.7 with an older version but this doesn't seem to be the case - see below)

if in fact XtremeCommandBars has a backward compatibility problem it is going to be a major headache for all users of this control. I hope this is NOT the case

"Here is an update to the below problem. I noticed that Apex Script uses CodeJock XtremeCommandBars v8.7. However, I have other applications (as well as my own development) that use XtremeCommandBars v9.1. It appears that Apex Script will only work with v8.7 of this OCX.

Last night I came up with the following workaround, albeit a hokey one. When I need to run Apex Script I register the v8.7 OCX (and unregister when I am done using Apex Script)."
gallman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gallman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2004 at 11:27am

Hi. I thought I should chime in since I am "the user" experiencing this problem .

I have 2 apps that use different versions of XtremeCommandBars. Additionally, I do development with the "latest version" of XtremeCommandBars.

App1 (blockwood's app) uses CommandBars.ocx v8.7 (dated 2004-MAR-12)
App2 uses CommandBars.ocx v9.0 (dated 2004-JUL-18)
MyApp uses CommandBars.ocx v9.1 (dated 2004-JUL-29)

It appears that there is a backward compatibility problem with this OCX because I have to register/unregister the appropriate version of the OCX to get App1 and App2 to run.

It just happened that I installed App1 and App2 on the same day so I never noticed the backward compatibility problem until now.

RECOMMENDATION: If CodeJock is going to break compatibility with each rev of the OCX, I recommend that you create a new OCX (e.g. CommandBars2.ocx, CommandBars3.ocx) because this is going to be a major problem as more people use your products.

I hope there is an easier way to resolve this issue. Please advise.

Thanks for your help (and your's too blockwood).

blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 8:44am
thx for follow-up

codejocks - can we get a reply to this important issue?
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 9:42am
anyone home?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 9:49am
I would think that version 9.1 would be backwards compatible with 8.7.  Have you tried to download version 9.1 and run the app that was written in 8.7?  I'm not sure if it is checking for a particular version or not.  I have notified development about this post.
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 9:52am
well, the gist of the post is that he has done just this and it is NOT backwardly compatible.

it should be easy to test - compile an app. that references 8.7 then install 9.1 over the 8.7 ocx and see if original .exe will work. according to this user it won't. if you can dupe this then the component is not backwards compatible
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 10:04am
I noticed this change, the app run fine without the customization:

8.62: Private Sub CommandBars_Customization(ByVal Controls As XtremeCommandBars.ICommandBarControls)

9.10: Private Sub CommandBars_Customization(ByVal Options As XtremeCommandBars.ICustomizeOptions)

It also seems like the ResizePx event is removed if you were using that.  These are the only differences that I can see.

Thus, it would not be backwards compatible if you are using wither of these features  Hopefully development can come up with a solution.

Edited by SuperMario
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 10:07am
can you check the COMPATIBILITY of the different versions of the ocx? i'm not sure how looking at code snippets will necessarily help solve this specific problem

the problem is not a line vs line compatability (although this could also be an issue if you are changing the interface with each new version) but this error

"Failed to load control 'CommandBars' from CommandBars.OCX. Your version of CommandBars.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 10:14am
Sorry for misunderstanding you.  Yes, I was able to reproduce the error.  I would definetly say that you need to be using the same version of the OCX that the application was compiled with.  Development will need to fix this, as I said before, I don't see any reason why they couldn't be backwards compatible except for the 2 notes above.
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 10:21am
thx for reply.

currently there is nothing we can do on our end.

since their is an incompatability everybody in the planet would need to use the same version of CommandBars all the time. this problem brings into question the controls viability in real world use if the clients you use can essentially be rendered unusable by an installation of another client using different component.

my suggestion would be to release an update i.e. 9.2 that IS backwardly compatible with 8.7. Make sure everyone who is using 9.1 uses 9.2 instead. this will stop the damage 9.1 (or any other version higher than 8.7) is inflicting on clients with 8.7

all 8.7 users should also have access to this 9.2 version to ensure their clients don't get wrecked by other installations and/or to repair installations that have been wrecked
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 10:23am
Development may have a workaround for this.  We will have to wait for them to respond
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 10:29am
ok thanks for reply
gallman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gallman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2004 at 12:23pm

Thanks for the follow-up and I look forward to hearing development's response because we have an app that has already shipped as well.

For future reference, I "think" the rule of thumb is DO NOT change existing interfaces once you've released your OCX. Rather, to maintain backward compatibility, either create a new interface (e.g. MyInterface2) or create a NEW OCX (e.g.CommandBars2.ocx).

Thanks again.

blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2004 at 8:11am
any word - this has been 9 days with not even a definitive reply.

support at codejock HAS been superb in the past - not sure what the problem is currently but 9 days for an answer to a CRITICAL ISSUE affecting all codejock customers at such an elemental level is not reassuring.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2004 at 6:42am
Gallman and Blockwood,

Starting with the next version, all interfaces and GUIDs will be isolated from other versions. 
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2004 at 9:32am
thx but

1) what is the immediate fix for affected users? I have suggested releasing a 9.2 version that is the same functionality wise as 9.1 but a) either maintains binary compatability or b) is not incompatabile but won't disrupt previous version
2) when will new component be out?

your response is appreciated but it still doesn't fix the immediate issue - of client apps disrupting each other depending on which version of CommandBars was installed last
gallman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gallman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2004 at 3:41pm

I'm with blockwood on this.

It's good to hear about 9.2 but I'd hate to have to tell my customers to register/deregister OCXs just to get existing conflicting applications to run. If our's is the last one installed, WE then look unprofessional because it appears that our app is the one that "broke" the client's machine.

Not cool.

blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 11:55am
the forum doesn't seem to be working to resolve this issue in timely fashion nor does it burnish the reputation of an otherwise fine \product to have such issues languish out in the open - as commercial software company myelf I am acutely aware of this.

posting a vague pla to offer compatability in future does with not even an ETA does not address immediete issue. for a component vendor i can't think of a more critical defect than universal incompatability which is the current situation.

I will wait for definitive reply by Monday at which point I'll need to follow-up via phone.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 12:02pm
I would recommend that you send in some requests.  I have notified development and they provided the response I posted previously.  I have asked again how they can help you guys right now and am waiting on an answer.  I will send in another reminder of this problem.  I would also recommend that you call until it gets fixed.
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 12:14pm
OK I'll give a holler ...

to anybody reading this thread - I'm actually a happy codejock customer - it's an awesome product and I have discovered 0 issues myself after nearly 6 mos of intensive use. i'm just perplexed by this particular compatability issue.

also support is normally excellent/superb although it hasn't been in this case.
rschauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rschauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 3:42pm

I'm a new user of the toolbar (as of today), and I ran into this problem right off the bat.

Our company writes 3rd party applications for Microsoft Business Solutions software: Solomon 6.0.  Solomon 6.0 beta currently uses version 8.6.1, and I just downloaded version 9.1.  I ran into a compatibility problem as soon as I tried to use the toolbar.  VB6 wants version 9.1, and Solomon wants 8.6.1.  It's a royal pain to register/reregister depending on what I want to run, let alone slow down the development cycle to a slow crawl.

I would highly recommend that this problem be corrected.  I already posted this problem on the Solomon partner forum, so hopefully this will get more attention.

Edited by rschauer
Rick Schauer
Newport Consulting Group
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2004 at 2:58pm
i emailed this in to president

"Kirk,

Codejock has been working out great except for one problem

What’s up with this issue? it is 3 weeks and running I think

https://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1129&PN=1

I originally reported a pretty critical error and unlike all other support posts I made this one is still unresolved. As far as I can tell there is no fix available nor firm commitment to produce one (i.e. date). I have to say I’m a bit surprised and disappointed since I have talked up codejock quite a bit and pushed it internally. This problem is a showstopper though and would force many people to avoid purchasing an otherwise fine tool

Simply recompiling different versions of the component with option “no compatibility” and offering the exchange to users would solve many people’s problems.

But regardless of what you work out I don’t think a solution should be delayed. Developing components in good faith requires that new versions be compatible or else don’t cause apps. Referencing previous versions to no longer work

I would appreciate reply

thanks,
Brian

Brian Lockwood
President
ApexSQL - "The SQL Server Value Added Solution Center"
http://www.apexsql.com
brian@apexsql.com"
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2004 at 3:04pm
One of the developers sent me this:

we are sorry about _our mistake_ we had to provide the version independence from our first ActiveX version.

I see only one solution for your customers to make 2 bat files for
applications:

bat1.bat:
regsvr32 path1\CommandBars.ocx
path1\app1.exe

bat2.bat:
regsvr32 path2\CommandBars.ocx
path2\app2.exe

The delay was nue to the changes that needed to be incorporated into the new release.
It sounds like the next release is coming really soon.  I have been told it should be out next week (Not sure what day).
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2004 at 3:10pm
thx for reply. not really sure what you mean though. i only use ONE version of commandbars - my apps. aren't causing compatability problems with each other.

the problem is that OTHER vendors who also use codejock are whipsawing my clients - and visa versa. that last install wins kind of scenario.

so i don't see why i need to make different installations. but ... in my case are you saying if i put commandbars.ocx in a unique location i.e. system23files/apexsql/commandbars.ocx and regsvr it there then other vendor's installations won't affect it.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2004 at 8:54am
The new version is out now.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 12:41pm
rschauer, Solomon is now using version 8.70 ActiveX.  If you require this version to use with Solomon, contact Support@codejock.com.  This will create an Issue that can be view at http://customer.codejock.com.  If you do not have an IssueTrack account, your credentials will be emailed to you after your submit your request.  Codejock will then attach version 8.70 for you to download.
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 1:02pm
why can't all affected persons on this forum thread (within reason) get this upgrade?

i just got another error ticket related to this this week.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 1:14pm
They are upgraded from 8.61 to 8.70 because they have an active maintenance account with codejock.

Edited by SuperMario
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 1:25pm
so everyone stuck with incompatible version has to pay $ to fix this defect?

y/n?
blockwood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 1:36pm
answer is ... yes. just confirmed on phone

this issue has been pretty bad but overall cj is great software so i'm gonna pony up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic