Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Report Control
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Severe Memory Leak When Item Caption Explicitly Se
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Severe Memory Leak When Item Caption Explicitly Se

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhugal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Severe Memory Leak When Item Caption Explicitly Se
    Posted: 01 September 2007 at 9:25am

Hi There,

We have been using the Code Jock controls for some time but just recently our applicationuploads/20070901_092442_ReportControlMe.zip seems to be using a lot lot more ram. I did some investigation and it appears that when we use the Report Grid control and add a lot of items where we set the caption to be different from the value (we do this for all numeric & date fields because we format them nicely for the user) the grid exhibits a severe memory leak.

I have put together an example project demonstrating this. If you fill the grid with 20,000 rows each the control consumes a fair amount of ram as expected - when you then clear it all of that ram is freed (correction - most). If however you fill it with the same number of rows and explicitely set the caption on each of the values the grid consumes a lot of ram again but when you clear it is not all freed - in fact a large percent is never freed. When I am running this in a VB6 IDE the ram isn't even freed when I close the application and I have to terminate the IDE to free it.

The memory figures (KB) with 20,000 records / 40 Columns are as follows:

Project started in IDE and form displayed: 14,920
Grid filled with rows but Caption not set: 198,824
Grid then cleared: 17,272
(A slight gain that needs to be checked we have lost 3 meg somewhere)
Grid then filled with rows and Caption set explicitely: 261,868
Grid then cleared: 129,352
(We have lost over 100 meg of ram somewhere!)

App closed return to VB design environmentGrid then cleared: 129,380
(We have still not reclaimed the missing 100 meg!)

This is obviously very urgent for us as we are using this with a very high number of users in a Terminal Services environment so any memory leaks result in degredation of the server performance and eventual crashes in our application.

Can you give me an estimate for a fix please?

Dhugal.

sserge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sserge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2007 at 5:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic