Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Beta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Beta
    Posted: 08 January 2008 at 7:21pm
A beta of the new MFC containing the Ribbon etc. is now available for download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D466226B-8DAB-445F-A7B4-448B326C48E7&displaylang=en

Codejock support
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2008 at 1:00pm
Just finished the installation of the Feature Pack, the stuff is not any better than BCGs.

The improvements made between BCGControlBar 9.4 and 9.5 are probably Microsofts work, but the stuff is still not good enough.

The installation requires more than 2 GB disk space and takes up to 1 hour (depending of your CPU speed). Not worth the space and time

The only neat feature is the caption bar (http://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8429) and mini toolbar (http://forum.codejock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8396), which are missing in the Xtreme Toolkit Pro.

Codejock support
apuhjee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apuhjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 2:34pm
Andre -

You mention on the Visual C++ Team Blog regarding BCGControlBar:
Quote "quality is abysmal and so is the performance"

If you haven't read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, do.  One of the main points of the book is that quality is not quantifiable. 

Performance, however, is.  What exactly performs better in XTP?

Regards ~ jp

ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by apuhjee apuhjee wrote:

If you haven't read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, do.  One of the main points of the book is that quality is not quantifiable. 

Performance, however, is.  What exactly performs better in XTP?

First and foremost, the new MFC stuff is full of bugs. And the number of bugs is quantifiable. I listed some of the bugs on the VC blog. Bugs which make you think that this stuff has never been tested.

I don't have any numbers to prove that XTPs performance is better, but I've ported my app from BCG to XTP because my app felt sluggish. And you see the same for all samples.

Codejock support
apuhjee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apuhjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 3:55pm
I'm sorry, but apart from the lengthy and large installation, my experience has been quite different from yours.

- Didn't have any problems patching Team System 2008.

- Can't reproduce any of the bugs that you mention, i.e. centering, quick access state, flicker, etc...

I hate to say it, but from your posts it almost sounds like you have a grudge against BCG. It's one thing to support the products you like, but bashing a --BETA-- product that is breathing new life into MFC development seems rediculous.

I've attached a basic MFC wizard project that was built in less that 1 minute if you'd like to verify the lack of bugs (or possibly validate the existence on your system).

Cheers ~ jp

20080129_155446_Testing.rar
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 4:12pm
I can reproduce it with your sample app (tested the one from the Release folder). Just select "show QAT below the ribbon". Now have a look at the Ribbon panels / groups.

XP SP2, classic mode.

Now close the app, start it again and select "show above the ribbon":

So yes, I do have a grudge against BCG, because it's crap. And this is not beta software. This is a supposed to be stable library + multiple months of work from Microsoft.

Codejock support
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 4:26pm
Also just start the app and uncheck "Status Bar". Now have a look at the bottom of the frame:

Codejock support
apuhjee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apuhjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 4:39pm
Are you using the English version of Visual Studio 2008? Item numero uno from the docs states known issues with non-English VS.

You can see from this screenshot that I'm not experiencing either of the issues that you are:

ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 4:53pm

Are you using the English version of Visual Studio 2008? Item numero uno from the docs states known issues with non-English VS.

English VS on non-English OS.

You can also see that checked checkboxes are added unchecked to the QAT and the updated in the next OnIdle cycle. Generally you can say that commands are added with a default state.

Codejock support
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 1:19am
Hi,
Wrong disabled icons, ugly shadows, etc.... Microsoft indeed made wrong decision
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 2:01am

I just noticed that you get a large window caption although the QAT is below the Ribbon. That's plain wrong! Have a look at my screenshot and check out Office 2007, with the QAT below the Ribbon you should get a smaller window caption.

Codejock support
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 4:47am
Hi,

The weirdest thing is that they didn't implement arrow keyboard handling in ribbon.
After I pressed Alt and highlight "Home" I can't use arrows to navigate items.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
fantama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fantama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 4:54pm

I hate to say it, but from your posts it almost sounds like you have a grudge against BCG. It's one thing to support the products you like, but bashing a --BETA-- product that is breathing new life into MFC development seems rediculous.

Sorry, but I found this comment to be particularly amusing. Apuhjee claims that ABuenger is bashing a --BETA-- but wait a minute... isn't BCG supposed to be a commercial product???  I think you definitely summed it up when you said BCG is BETA, the library is nothing more than “BETA” ware.

As my Grandfather used to say "Son...you can't polish a turd no matter how hard you try".

Poor performance + Poor code + Poor quality = Poor components!

Codejock wins hands down!

rdhd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 3:28pm
I did one test with the new MFC. Simple wizard created app using Office theme. Start app. Maximize the document. Do save as.

The title doesn't update until I resize the app.

But we have the same same problem with CJ (I call recalclayout on the frame and then update the command ribbon bar).

What an odd coincidence.
kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 4:40pm
Yes we have had reports of BCG "borrowing" code from us, yours is not the first. In the mean time, just submit the problem to support and we will take care of it for the next release.

Cheers,
Kirk Stowell, President and CEO
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic