Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MFC Updates for Visual Studio 2008 and Beyond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MFC Updates for Visual Studio 2008 and Beyond
    Posted: 30 September 2007 at 10:48am
There is some information about the upcoming updates to MFC on the TechEd site:

TLA404 MFC Updates for Visual Studio 2008 and Beyond

This session will demonstrate the new features added to MFC in Visual Studio 2008, including support for Vista Common Dialogs, Vista Common Controls, the Microsoft Office 2007 Look and Feel (including support for an Office Ribbon style interface), Office and Visual Studio style Docking Toolbars and Tabbed Documents. We will also talk about our plans to evolve the MFC library for Visual C++ 10 and beyond. This is an in-depth session designed for experienced C++/MFC programmers.

I wonder what this means for a Company like Codejock that Microsoft will deliver such components out of the box with the new Studio.

Codejock support
terrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 9:33am
I doubt it would affect them as to be honest, as it will never be as much as offered by XTP
Thank you,
Terry Mancey

email terry@tmancey.ltd.uk | linkedin www.tmancey.ltd.uk | twitter @tmancey
markr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 9:49pm
Seriously, there's just no comparison. CodeJock user interfaces are light-years ahead of these updates from Microsoft.

kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 11:33am

Yes, we are aware of Microsoft’s plans for MFC.

When we talked to Microsoft, they told us about what they had planned for MFC. They also informed us that they were going to license the MFC controls from BCGSoft, and were going to begin integrating them into the next release of MFC.

Our customers should know that we feel strongly about the quality our products, and the stability of our components. We take alot of pride in our work, and have no plans on retiring our MFC products anytime soon. We will continue to improve upon, and enhance our MFC components for Visual Studio 2008 and beyond.

Kind regards,

Kirk Stowell, President and CEO
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS<
markr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 10:19am
Hello Kirk,

This is actually very interesting, and it's clear that several things are happening here.

First, Microsoft has received significant backlash from native code developers for having effectively abandoned VC++ (and related libraries such as MFC) in favor of their big "native code" push. It seems they've taken a step back and reviewed their strategy, and are attempting to compensate (to some degree) for their short-sightedness. This is a good thing, and it's long overdue.

In evaluating how they might improve the VC++ developer experience, I'm guessing that Microsoft took a look at their internal resources and decided that it didn't make sense to start building new MFC user interface controls from existing code. After all, they've let MFC languish severely and it would take a massive internal push to modernize what exists today. Besides, why build what you can buy?

The decision to license BCGSoft was probably somewhat arbitrary, and I'm guessing they didn't have much time to make it. If it was March of '07 when they made a decision to license something and they wanted to release something by March of '08, then had to had to act quickly.

I found another Channel 9 video that shows, in more detail, how they're integrating licensed BCGSoft components into MFC 2008:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=355087

It's a shame, without a doubt, that MS couldn't have made a more measured decision in terms of control licensing. I'm not familiar with BCGSoft personally (I've been using CodeJock stuff for a long time), but I have to believe the integration of such is a significant advancement for MFC, even if the result is ultimately inferior to CodeJock components in many ways.

I think your customers already know how committed CodeJock is to product quality, Kirk. But in my opinion, business probably just got a bit tougher - you'll need to innovate fairly aggressively now that some of the "bread and butter" controls (docking panels, ribbon, etc.) will be available at no charge from MS. We'll be relying on CodeJock not only for superior implementations, but also for a superior vision of the future.

Finally, I doubt there's much developers could say to Microsoft that would change their current direction on these issues. They've made their decisions and they're going to push them forward, for better or for worse. My advice is to forget about Microsoft and focus on what developers need, and continue to stay ahead of the curve.

jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 10:26am
Hello,

Some day ago i read this from msdn.
But we allways use and sell Codejock ;-).
It's much better than BCGSoft.

Jimmy

ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 5:47pm
Posted my opinion on the VC blog here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2007/11/09/channel-9-pat-brenner-overview-of-new-mfc-update.aspx#comments

There are more posts about the new controls on the blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/

Codejock support
Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2007 at 4:27am
cpede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2007 at 2:32am
Hi,

I attented the session about the new upcomming release of MFC at the TechEd conferende in Barcelona.
I have too admit that the presentation was convincing, and hat the MFC framework looked fine and fully integrated.
Offcause I was worried when he told that the new features mainly came from a third party supplier, and it was not Codejock.
My concern is, that now there will be a big overlapp of features between Codejock and MFC. So what are your plans? Are you going to concentrate on new components only, it will seem a little too much to include e.g. ribbons from two frameworks in the same program.

I still believe that Codejock is a great tool, and when I compare myself with other developers in my organization using .NET and C#, I can still make the applications the fastest and the best looking using Codejock!

-cpede
robin_l View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robin_l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:33pm
This must be a cruel blow for Codejock and perhaps you need some time to work out your strategy. However, I think that we need you to give a clear statement of how you intend to proceed.
kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by ABuenger ABuenger wrote:

Posted my opinion on the VC blog here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2007/11/09/channel-9-pat-brenner-overview-of-new-mfc-update.aspx#comments

In case anyone else is interested in posting thier opnions, here are 2 more VC blogs that seem to be quite active rearding this subject.
kstowell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kstowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by robin_l robin_l wrote:

This must be a cruel blow for Codejock and perhaps you need some time to work out your strategy. However, I think that we need you to give a clear statement of how you intend to proceed.

Our strategy is clear and simple. We will continue to develop, improve and enhance or existing MFC product lines. We still feel strongly, as do our customers, that our products are superior and out perform the components that will be added to VS 2008.

We are considering additional installation options that will allow end users to pick and choose which components they want to install. This way they will have more flexibility when using Codejock controls.

In addition to that we are also looking into alternative and new controls to focus our attention on. These would be items that are not included or offered with the 'MFC Next' vision. And as always, we are also open to any suggestions or comments that our customers have.

Cheers,
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

We are considering additional installation options that will allow end users to pick and choose which components they want to install. This way they will have more flexibility when using Codejock controls.

Kirk, don't waste too much time figuring out how to deal with the integration of parts of the BCGControlBar into the next MFC. The EXCLUDE macros are just fine. I don't want to mix BCGs and Codejocks components and I doubt any of your customers want to do this. I prefer to get all controls from a single vendor.

There are still many new controls left you can add to your toolkit, grid, chart, gauges, .... there are many suggestions on the wish list.

Codejock support
franji1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franji1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 3:48pm
I think if CodeJock added some wizards or propertysheet addins to VS to generate code that uses or inherits from the XTP toolkit, then that would help me out a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic