Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Skin Framework
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is it possible to have only one font for the title
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it possible to have only one font for the title

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it possible to have only one font for the title
    Posted: 31 May 2007 at 5:34pm
Hello,

I am a beginner with the Xtreme Suite, and am trying to develop an application which I hope will be run on several platforms, from Windows 98 upwards. To assure that I would have the same look and feel for the interface on all platforms, I try to use SkinFramework.

However, I see that the same application does not appear the same way on all systems I tested so far. The font in the title bar is different on Windows XP / 2000 / 98 (not installed Me so far). The title bar on Windows 2000 looks similar to XP (although it is not exactly the same), but the font used when executing on Windows 98 is plain ugly.

If I didn't change any default settings yet, I assume that the text in the title bar should be displayed using MS Sans Serif on every system, but it looks more like Roman or MS Serif on Windows 98.

Is there a way to get a consistent look over all platforms? I know that W98 is quite old, but I expect the product to be used on older systems as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Ulrich
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 7:48am
Hello,

The font is specified in ini file, guess in Windows 98 you don't have this font, so default used. Deliver font with application.
Oleg, Support Team
CODEJOCK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
upeters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 10:01am
Hello,

thank you for your reply. I installed your software suite, and saw in the documentation that you specify an ini file as argument for the SkinFramework.LoadSkin method. The thing is, these ini files seem to be missing in your installation package. I don't have any file named "NormalOffice2007.ini", "NormalRoyale.ini", "NormalBlue.ini", etc. as used in the samples and in the documentation.

If I use the XP Royale skin style, I probably should use the corresponding NormalRoyale.ini file as well, which is a file I can't find on my computer... Or did I misunderstand something here?
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 11:53am
Hi,

This ini inside skinfile.

If you use our Royale skin, it declares font "Trebuchet MS". Delived this font to win98.
Oleg, Support Team
upeters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 3:47pm
That did it. Now I have the same font in the title bar in Windows 98, Me, 2000 and XP. Thank you!
gshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 6:37pm
FYI, you can't just include the font in your setup file as you please. You need to license it before you can distribute it with your software:

upeters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 10:50am
Hello gshawn,

thank you for the head-up. I certainly would like to avoid paying additional $$$ to Ascender for the Trebuchet MS font to stay legal.

Instead, Oleg, could you please tell me how I should proceed to make my own ini file for the skin, or how to specify just a different font face for the skinned title bar, through code? All systems I checked feature the Tahoma and Lucida Console fonts, which don't look too diferent to Trebuchet MS, so I probably will use one of those - at least on Windows 98.

Thanks in advance!
Ulrich
upeters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 11:08am
Originally posted by oleg oleg wrote:

The font is specified in ini file, guess in Windows 98 you don't have this font, so default used. Deliver font with application.

The quirk is that the default font specified for the title bar in Windows 98 is "MS Sans Serif". As the expected "Trebuchet MS" is not available, SkinFrameworks defaults to "Times New Roman", which is a bit wrong. Why can't SkinFramework fall back to the correct default font specified on the computer?

Ulrich
Oleg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 5:07am
You wrote that want to show same font for all OS...

if you want use defaul font from system don't set xtpSkinApplyMetrics option:

ApplyOptions = xtpSkinApplyFrame or xtpSkinApplyColors

Oleg, Support Team
joeliner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 4:47am
hi,

Whats the default font for ribbonbar in:
1 xp?
2. vista?

on comparison the fonts seem to defer ; one with tahoma and the other with calibri font respectively but if i try to install the calibri font on XP it still doesnt match the outlook of the ribbon font rendering e.g. my RibbonSystemPopupBar Pages fit on  the syspopup in vista but not in XP with calibri font.

please help.

regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic