Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Source Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grid
    Posted: 14 May 2007 at 12:45pm
Ok. Report control is nice...
but regarding huge amounts of data what do you consider the best datagrid to use - of course with the sort, group options like this control?

Regards.
Carlos Neves

P.S. Can we expect from codejock a datagrid control?  Them this should be the master of the master suites
sserge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sserge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 5:37pm
Hi,

I agree with you, and briefly the answer is -- yes, you can expect
There are some corresponding plans for a near future, and there are some "best practices" which are going to be applied to that control...

However, this is a target even not for a next 11.x release...

--
WBR,
Serge
Source View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Source Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 5:21am

Albert1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 3:41am
As a user of Xtreme Suite and VB programmer I suggest to improve components already distributed and not fight for grid market.
I think it would be very difficult to get a good position in datagrid sales (too many competitors, with a huge experience). A datagrid component must work as programmer asks!!!

Alberto
Source View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Source Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 6:58am
Agree with you.

If codejock team improves the report control (the best of the best) so that it will be more eficient regarding HUGE amounts of data and specialy the direct bound to a table / recordset then we can have an even more fantastic suite!

Regards.
ABuenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABuenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Albert1 Albert1 wrote:

I think it would be very difficult to get a good position in datagrid sales (too many competitors, with a huge experience).

If you want to avoid competition, you shouldn't run a business.

Also not everyone needs a datagrid with binding etc., a grid like the  MFC grid control (http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/gridctrl.asp) with support of the different themes would be great.

Codejock support
Krenshau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krenshau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 2:41am
I think a grid is a good idea, especially if it comes in the suite. With the subscription, it is one less item you have to get separately.
Ben
QAS Information Systems
Dmitry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmitry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 2:48am
Hi,

Is there any news on such a general grid control?

As ABuenger said, a simple grid like http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/gridctrl.asp with support of the different themes would be great.

Ie something like ReportControl, but with ability to work on individual cells: select, highlight, etc.

Regards,
Dmitry
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 9:03am
Hi,

And if CodeJock is going to develop a gridcontrol you will be complaining: this isn't what I want...

I want it like you do in the ReportControl and I want ThemedItems like you do in the ReportControl and ..... want this and want that and eventually we will have 2 controls doing the same thing. If you want a control that does it all, just buy the control!!!!!! 
Source View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Source Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 9:40am

You are right Aaron; let CJ keep the report control - this is great.

No need for the grid one. Just explain us how to load 500.000 from a recordset (like virtual mode) with the sort functionality and I will be happy.

Regards.
Carlos Neves
Dmitry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmitry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 9:12pm
Dear Aaron & Source,

you missed my point. The Report Control is great, but it does not have the ability to customize, or select individual cells, only rows. That is the point of the report control - it works on a list of records.

To customize individual cells, one needs a Grid control, which works directly on a table of items. This is what we would like for Codejock to produce, given its excellent ability to create such customizable, themed controls.

As to "eventually we will have 2 controls doing the same thing", it is quite often that one has to have similar looking, but different controls. Eg Codejock themselves have 2 same-look different-control combo boxes: one that can be placed into toolbars: CXTPControlCombo and another into normal dialogs: CXTComboBoxEx. Similarly with color pickers: CXTPControlPopupColor and CXTColorPicker. Such is life - you cannot have one control that performs every conceivable function in every possible situation.

Finally, please do not presume that I will or will not be complaining about something in the future. I myself, will decide whether to complain, and may actually like what Codejock produces :) - the current toolkit is excellent.

Regards,
Dmitry
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 10:32pm
Dear Dmitry,

The last time I checked, it was possible to customize the cells of the ReportControl. I don't know when you used the control for the last time but nowadays we can customize the cells

And for "connecting" to a table in a database see the post above from Source. Thats what we need: a ReportControl with the ability to do this.

Then the ReportControl will have  now its 4+
Dmitry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmitry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 1:02am
Hi Aaron,

I would love to be corrected. This is what I need from a grid control (this is a mockup):

I understand the ReportControl supports 1 (on columns only), 4, 5 (on rows only) & 6.
Does ReportControl support others? If so, how?

Regards,
Dmitry
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 7:49am
Hi,

I would love to accept the challenge but I don't have the time for it right now. As you can see (image) will cover 1. and 3.

2. Selection of row will always be present. You can see that the cell is selected because it is the same as the Report backcolor. It would be nice if this could be a property (new feature ) Or just another workaround:

set wndReportControl.ShowRowFocus = False
set wndReportControl.SelectionEnable = False

Private Sub wndReportControl_FocusChanging(ByVal NewRow As XtremeReportControl.IReportRow, ByVal NewColumn As XtremeReportControl.IReportColumn, ByVal NewItem As XtremeReportControl.IReportRecordItem, Cancel As Boolean)
    Dim childItem As ReportRecordItem
    For Each childItem In wndReportControl.FocusedRow.Record
        childItem.ItemControls.RemoveAt 0
    Next childItem

If NewRow.GroupRow = False Then
        With NewItem.ItemControls.AddButton(0)
            .Alignment = xtpReportItemControlRight
            .Themed = True
            .Caption = NewItem.Caption
            .Height = 16 'V12.0 Beta 1
        End With
    End If

End Sub

This will add a (THEMED) button with caption (value of item) to the focused subitem.

4. Drag&Drop with selected columns should be possible (filter the dragged records???). Hiding columns is possible. FieldChooser isn't skinned but will be some day. I did a request for this and maybe there are more members who want this.

5. Filter will be applied for every cell in the row. It would be nice if this could be a property, include/exclude columns (new feature ) Workaround: Add code in the BeforeDraw event:

If Item.Index = 1 Then
    If Metrics.Text Like "*" & wndReportControl.FilterText & "*" Then
        Metrics.Font.Bold = True
    Else
        Metrics.Font.Bold = False
    End If
End If

the text in column 1 will be BOLD and other cells with maybe the same text will not or see sample project

So after all there are just a few features that have to be added in order to have what you want. If CJ will add the feature with databases then this control will be

Note: I have seen few gridcontrols which have the option to add buttons,checkboxes, comboboxes ........ edit inplace option and sorting is wonderfull (tree like) and it is fast (very fast when using Virtual list) 
ijwelch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ijwelch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2008 at 10:24pm
So back to the original question..

What grid (bound or unbound) is best?

I'm in the market for a data grid and would value all your opinions.

Thanks
Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 3:13am
Originally posted by ijwelch ijwelch wrote:

So back to the original question..

What grid (bound or unbound) is best?

I'm in the market for a data grid and would value all your opinions.

Thanks

Ian,

What kind of functionality do you expect from the control? What features have to be implemented so you would buy the control?

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
ijwelch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ijwelch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 6:03am
I need to be able to load table data from a remote ADO recordset (ie CursorLocation=adUseServer). View data as in SQL Server Ent Mgr. Nothing too fancy-just flat table view.

Also:
want to be able to optionally view nulls (e.g '<NULL>' in cell)
hide columns
freeze columns
filter
search
delete records (without having to refresh entire grid/recordset after)
edit records (but lock certain fields from user input)
add records (grid automatically loads default values)
show binary fields (but not necessarily their contents - just show something like <image>, <no data>)
unicode of course.

This list just off the top of my head.

Aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 6:51am
Hi,

I guess you don't have to buy another control, you have CJ ReportControl already
The only missing feature (now) is connecting to the database. I could tell you how wonderfull the RC is, you have to experience it yourself. Out of curiosity I downloaded the Janus GridEx control... This control is able to connect to a database, that's true, but if I look at the visual part (I think it looks like s..t) It looks like the MSHFlexgrid control and they added some extra functionality. One feature I did like: Card view. I don't know what Janus does if you want to have a feature implemented, do they listen to their users like CJ does? (I have used their control about 5 months now and have some features added to my needs) I like that. And maybe CJ will add database functionality to the RC... (If you look at the reply sserge did, they will add something like that)  

btw Did you ever see a sample I made with loading records from database into ReportControl with ADO (sorting and filtering and editing could be done)    

Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 15.0.2
Platform: Windows XP (32bit) - SP 2
Language: Visual Basic 6.0

Zero replies is not an option....
mlatona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 8:55am
Hi,

a grid needs more features. A grid need a record selector column, an add new row, like Janus Grid or TDBGrid or the Access grid. The report control can undo the changes in the current cell but not the changes from the current record. And many more.
Product: Xtreme SuitePro (ActiveX) version 13.2.1
Platform: Windows XP
Language: Visual Basic 6.0 SP6
chrisABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2008 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

I don't know what Janus does if you want to have a feature implemented, do they listen to their users like CJ does?

They have always answered my support emails within an hour or two and been very helpful. But I'd guess like most developers they have stopped further enhancement of the ActiveX controls and only work on NET.  (that is just MY guess).
Chris (Manchester, UK) -- www.abc6.co.uk ---- Using CodeJock ActiveX Suite 13.1.0 with Windows8, VB6 SP6
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic