Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > ActiveX COM > Syntax Edit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Features

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Features
    Posted: 17 April 2007 at 3:49pm

Does the current ActiveX SyntaxEdit provide features like Text block grouping, IntelliSense and parameter tooltips ?

The sample does not show any of this features 
apuhjee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apuhjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 6:10pm
Stop crying. At least you got a sample!
MNovaro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNovaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 8:00am
What do you mean? In the sample I can see code folding (text grouping) and IntelliSense (pressing CTRL + Space)
Try to open a .c file (whatever) and see it yourself...
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 3:07pm
You´re right ! Code folding and IntelliSense works !
But parameter tooltips are not implemented, or ?
apuhjee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apuhjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 6:25pm
If I'm wrong please point it out, but after spending ~ an hour with SyntaxEdit, a few things jump out:

1) I don't see any way to programmatically get at the text content outside of saving to and reading from a file. I can't remember the last time I saw a text-based control that did not have a .Text property. It's almost a given. In addition to the entire contents, I'd like to have quick access to a string representing the current row.

2) There are zero events associated with this control. I'd like to at least know when the contents have changed, but there are many other useful events that come to mind - again - most of which can be found with any given text-based component.

Overall - this is a wonderful control for Codejock to produce. Similar unsupported controls can be found, as can full-feature, expensive ones... costing more than the entire Codejock package. But I think Codejock is onto something here. It will be interesting to see it be developed further.

Also - if you are simply developing a text editor, the current properties and lack of events may not affect you at all. We intend to include a Lua command box in the next version of our software - allowing casual users to script ad-hoc functionality without requiring a rebuild / reinstall. It would be nice for that content to be syntax-highlighted, but that will require programmatic access to the text (possibly one line at a time). It may also be nice to hide the bookmark/breakpoint & line number sections (I'm actually quite surprised that line numbers cannot be hidden in this verison...)

It should be a good ride with this one

Regards ~ jp
I like mathematics because it is not human and has nothing particular
to do with this planet or with the whole accidental universe — because,
like Spinoza's God, it won't love us in return.
apuhjee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apuhjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 6:28pm
Oh yeah - users are not able to edit their posts in this newly-created forum
idolpx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idolpx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2007 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by apuhjee apuhjee wrote:

1) I don't see any way to programmatically get at the text content outside of saving to and reading from a file. I can't remember the last time I saw a text-based control that did not have a .Text property. It's almost a given. In addition to the entire contents, I'd like to have quick access to a string representing the current row.

2) There are zero events associated with this control. I'd like to at least know when the contents have changed, but there are many other useful events that come to mind - again - most of which can be found with any given text-based component.

Overall - this is a wonderful control for Codejock to produce. Similar unsupported controls can be found, as can full-feature, expensive ones... costing more than the entire Codejock package. But I think Codejock is onto something here. It will be interesting to see it be developed further.

Also - if you are simply developing a text editor, the current properties and lack of events may not affect you at all. We intend to include a Lua command box in the next version of our software - allowing casual users to script ad-hoc functionality without requiring a rebuild / reinstall. It would be nice for that content to be syntax-highlighted, but that will require programmatic access to the text (possibly one line at a time). It may also be nice to hide the bookmark/breakpoint & line number sections (I'm actually quite surprised that line numbers cannot be hidden in this verison...)

I agree... More events are needed to make this useful.  At least the standard RichTextBox events.

I'd also like to see a TEXT property as well as the ability to hide the bookmark/breakpoint & line numbers.

This does have the potential to be a really great control.

ijwelch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ijwelch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2007 at 2:00am
I agree, this is a looking good. Here's my list of basic properties/methods/events I think need to be added:

Properties
=======
Text
SelStart
SelLength
SelText
Locked (or ReadOnly)
AutoIndent
HideSel
LineNumbersVisible
MarginVisible (here I mean the margin for break points/bookmarks)
Language (this seems to be automatically set by file extension at the moment, but if we can get away from having to load a file then great)
TopRow
CurrRow and CurrCol need to be read/write

Methods
======
CopyRTF
ExportRTF
ExportHTML
Print   (show print setup dialog)
FindDialog
FindReplaceDialog

Events
=====
Mouse events
Keyboard events

Incidentally, the vertical scrollbar only becomes visible after I manually resize the window in the demo app (this after opening a 2mb sql file). And I did notice one time that not all keywords were colored, although I haven't been able to reproduce that problem.

I was most impressed by the load time and scrolling speed. This is the only reliable COM component of it's kind I can find. The one I'm currently using (codemax) is no longer supported and has a problem with large files, so I'm looking forward to the next update:)
AndreiM View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndreiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 3:18am
Hello,
The most properties listed above will be added in nearest 11.2.1 version.
But some no easy features, like Export/Copy RTF/HTML, will be added later.
tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2007 at 3:46am
Will it be possible to highlight the currently selected line to easy editing for the user in large scripts ?
AndreiM View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndreiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2007 at 3:59am
I do not add this as a standard feature, but I add few members to easy inmlement this on your side. The CurPosChanged event and SetRowBkColor method will be adeed to 11.2.1.
EXAMPLE:

Private Sub wndSyntaxEdit_CurPosChanged(ByVal nNewRow As Long, ByVal nNewCol As Long)

wndSyntaxEdit.SetRowBkColor -1, -1 ‘ clear colors for all rows

wndSyntaxEdit.SetRowBkColor nNewRow, RGB(225, 225, 255)

' wndSyntaxEdit.SetRowColor -1, -1

' wndSyntaxEdit.SetRowColor nNewRow, RGB(155, 25, 55)

End Sub

And the screenshort is:

tobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2007 at 4:10am
Great ! When will this feature be available ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic