Codejock Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Codejock Products > Visual C++ MFC > Calendar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Too Protected

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCrenshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too Protected
    Posted: 13 March 2007 at 10:16am
Twice now I have run into issues with the MAPI dataprovider because there are so man private functions and variables. Since private members are unavailable to a derived class, it is nearly impossible to enhance.

First, I needed to have more control over the open functionality. I was already opening a connection to MAPI elsewhere and It was no good to open an extra connection, ask the user, etc. I couldn't change this to use my connection without changing a number of functions and variables from private to protected.

Second, since I AM using mapi outside of the data provider, it is valuable to me to gain access to the entryid for various calendar events. Again, all of the members that are used in this process are private, they should be protected.

Could you re-evaluate the use of private members in this class? Any function that MIGHT be of use to a derived class should be protected instead.
sserge View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sserge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 5:41pm
Ok, moved the majority of private declarations to protected scope.

If you have any suggestions to add some members to XTP MAPI sources, you are very welcome to send them to us. For some common tasks we may even add them to base classes instead of derived ones...

--
WBR,
Serge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic